Sign in with
Your question

This good enough .. ?

Last response: in Components
December 6, 2012 10:45:23 AM

Hello ,
i was gonna start hosting game servers and after a lot of research i've found the following set up will be able to handle around 200 - 250 players at a time ... so just wanted to ask - is this good enough ??

Intel Xeon E3-1270 processor (four physical 3.4ghz cores on QPI + hyperthreading + turbo->3.8ghz)
16 GB DDR3-1333 ECC memory
1000 GB, 7200 RPM SATA hard drive
10 Mbps Upload

More about : good

December 6, 2012 11:46:22 AM

it looks good but i would opt for raid 5
m
l
December 6, 2012 1:22:22 PM

- You don't need 1TB storage.
- You don't need 16GB RAM, servers do not load textures they only do physics, bounds checking and network (with TCP/IP offload to NIC).
- You did not specify which game server (process.exe) you are running, nor your tests leading to your premature conclusion: "after a lot of research i've found the following set up will be able to handle around 200 - 250 players at a time".

If you were talking about a Source Engine game the number of players would be closer to 2000.
m
l
December 7, 2012 12:30:52 AM

Scott_D_Bowen said:
- You don't need 1TB storage.
- You don't need 16GB RAM, servers do not load textures they only do physics, bounds checking and network (with TCP/IP offload to NIC).
- You did not specify which game server (process.exe) you are running, nor your tests leading to your premature conclusion: "after a lot of research i've found the following set up will be able to handle around 200 - 250 players at a time".

If you were talking about a Source Engine game the number of players would be closer to 2000.

I'm gonna host COD , BF3 ... FPS basically ........nd i am also limited by the upload .....so like should i get 500 GB HDD nd 8 GB RAM ???
i've visited many sites of game server providers nd seen their dedicated servers ..... :pfff:  so its not premature ....
m
l
!