MSI K9A2 Platinum and Phenom II x4 965 BE, 1.416 V help

Saiph

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hi, today i purchased a new CP, upgrade from my old Athlon x2 4800+ (2.5 GHz) to a Phenom II x4 965BE.

My Mobo is MSI K9A2 Platinum with the latest BIOS Update.

My main concern is the Voltage usage of my CPU, i read a lot about the fact that Phenom II x4 965BE tends to have rather "bad" stock Voltage usage.

I have some ideea about how to change that, i am not a newbie in hardware but i want to make sure if that is ok, or exactly what are the steps to downgrade my Voltage on this CPU, is it safe?

What should i expect doing that?

The temp my CPU is running right now in Idle with Stock Cooler is a bit high or i think its high, since on the AMD site it is stated that my MAX CPU Temp should be 55-62°C:

http://savedonthe.net/image/1622/CPU-Temp.jpg

I used SpeedFan also and it showed me "45°C".

What would you guys recommend?

The current Voltage usage of my CPU is 1.416V :

http://savedonthe.net/image/1623/CPU-Voltage.jpg

Also, i am thinking to buy a new GPU, since my 8800GTS 512 has some troubles running some games on my 1920x1080 resolution. (But it still does her job, 30+ FPS in Skyrim with High/Medium Settings).

I am thinking between Sapphire Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition Vapor-X OC 1GB DDR5 128-bit (If i buy this card i am thinking to run a CrossFire, purchasing the second card in February/March) or Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB DDR5 128-bit If i buy this card i am not planing any upgrade to SLI in the near future.

I run games at 1920x1080, i am playing mostly RPG games, Witcher 2, Skyrim and things like that, i rarely play shooters. I am not rly a fanatic about Extreme Graphics, but i also wanna run games at High Quality at least.

Don't recommend me sites from US since i am from EU (Romania), and some things are extremely expensive here. :D

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
since on the AMD site it is stated that my MAX CPU Temp should be 55-62°C:
- I call bullshit on that.

Anything under 72C is 'cool' to a CPU.
Anything under 85C is safe.
90C is 'warm'.
115C is where most CPUs will die/melt/explode.

You have a sh*tload of headroom there mate.

Saiph

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
ok so i tryed to run a Prime95 stress test on my CPU, the temp went from 38-40°C to 55°C in like 5 seconds, i got scared and exited the aplication.

I tryied to lower the Voltage usage from BIOS Cell Menu and it didn't let me, i had it on [Auto] (With Grey color), i hit the - and it went to 1.755, i knew that is not good so i tryied to lower it more with -, the minumum Voltage it let me was 1.475 after that if i hit any more - it would just get to [Auto] again, ofc now if i press - again it will go back to 1.755.

And the Cooler that comes with the processor in BOX is OMFG Loud, i mean, seriously, if i play at night i actually have to turn my Volume from Speakers decently High (and i own a Z-5500) to not hear my PC.

Its even louder than my GPU's Cooler and I set that to 65% Speed with EXPERTool due to heat problems on 8800 GTS 512.

I seriously need to buy a new Cooler, and my budget is ~25$ for the cooler only.

I didn't believe peoples when they said the Stock Cooler was loud, since the opinions were 50/50 with loud or not loud.

The speed of my CPU Cooler is 5400+ RPM, if i buy for example this cooler :

http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/ICEEDGE_MINI_FS/

Will this handle my CPU's Temps? i mean if a Fan has 5400 RPM and the CPU is still at 41°C, if i put a Cooler that has 2200 RPM, wouldnt that be bad?

Here are some other CPU Coolers i am thinking about, pls recommend me one cuz i am going insane with the stock thing :

1. Spire Kepler v2.0
2. Deepcool Iceedge Mini FS
3. Xigmatek Apache III
4. Cooler Master S200
5. Deepcool Beta 400 ST

Ty Very much.

LE: Seriously? noone on this site that can help me with this? .. :/

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

Believe me, I have suffered enough with stock CPU. It's a ******* nightmare!!!!
I know nothing about the coolers mentioned above. But I can tell you Hyper 212 Plus/Evo is the one to get. It works wonders. Try to keep the voltage as low as possible until you can get a decent cooler in there

Saiph

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Pls just helpe me understand why i cant downvolt my CPU from Bios? I have serious problems with it right now, its in 55°C idle.

I cant find on google any program that can help me change the voltage on my CPU.

And in BIOS i cant change it, it simply wont let me, its blocked on Auto and Over 1.475V, nothing less.