MSI K9A2 Platinum and Phenom II x4 965 BE, 1.416 V help

Hi, today i purchased a new CP, upgrade from my old Athlon x2 4800+ (2.5 GHz) to a Phenom II x4 965BE.

My Mobo is MSI K9A2 Platinum with the latest BIOS Update.

My main concern is the Voltage usage of my CPU, i read a lot about the fact that Phenom II x4 965BE tends to have rather "bad" stock Voltage usage.

I have some ideea about how to change that, i am not a newbie in hardware but i want to make sure if that is ok, or exactly what are the steps to downgrade my Voltage on this CPU, is it safe?

What should i expect doing that?

The temp my CPU is running right now in Idle with Stock Cooler is a bit high or i think its high, since on the AMD site it is stated that my MAX CPU Temp should be 55-62°C:

http://savedonthe.net/image/1622/CPU-Temp.jpg

I used SpeedFan also and it showed me "45°C".

What would you guys recommend?

The current Voltage usage of my CPU is 1.416V :

http://savedonthe.net/image/1623/CPU-Voltage.jpg

Also, i am thinking to buy a new GPU, since my 8800GTS 512 has some troubles running some games on my 1920x1080 resolution. (But it still does her job, 30+ FPS in Skyrim with High/Medium Settings).

I am thinking between Sapphire Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition Vapor-X OC 1GB DDR5 128-bit (If i buy this card i am thinking to run a CrossFire, purchasing the second card in February/March) or Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB DDR5 128-bit If i buy this card i am not planing any upgrade to SLI in the near future.

I run games at 1920x1080, i am playing mostly RPG games, Witcher 2, Skyrim and things like that, i rarely play shooters. I am not rly a fanatic about Extreme Graphics, but i also wanna run games at High Quality at least.

Don't recommend me sites from US since i am from EU (Romania), and some things are extremely expensive here. :D
7 answers Last reply
More about k9a2 platinum phenom help
  1. I've got mine at 1.25v. Works fine. CPU never tops 47 degrees.
  2. since on the AMD site it is stated that my MAX CPU Temp should be 55-62°C:
    - I call bullshit on that.

Anything under 72C is 'cool' to a CPU.
    Anything under 85C is safe.
    90C is 'warm'.
    115C is where most CPUs will die/melt/explode.

You have a sh*tload of headroom there mate.
  3. ^^ No. Phenoms have a maximum CPU Temp of 63C. Anything higher for the Phenom type CPUs are dangerous.
  4. ok so i tryed to run a Prime95 stress test on my CPU, the temp went from 38-40°C to 55°C in like 5 seconds, i got scared and exited the aplication.

I tryied to lower the Voltage usage from BIOS Cell Menu and it didn't let me, i had it on [Auto] (With Grey color), i hit the - and it went to 1.755, i knew that is not good so i tryied to lower it more with -, the minumum Voltage it let me was 1.475 after that if i hit any more - it would just get to [Auto] again, ofc now if i press - again it will go back to 1.755.

And the Cooler that comes with the processor in BOX is OMFG Loud, i mean, seriously, if i play at night i actually have to turn my Volume from Speakers decently High (and i own a Z-5500) to not hear my PC.

Its even louder than my GPU's Cooler and I set that to 65% Speed with EXPERTool due to heat problems on 8800 GTS 512.

I seriously need to buy a new Cooler, and my budget is ~25$ for the cooler only.

I didn't believe peoples when they said the Stock Cooler was loud, since the opinions were 50/50 with loud or not loud.

The speed of my CPU Cooler is 5400+ RPM, if i buy for example this cooler :

http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/ICEEDGE_MINI_FS/

Will this handle my CPU's Temps? i mean if a Fan has 5400 RPM and the CPU is still at 41°C, if i put a Cooler that has 2200 RPM, wouldnt that be bad?

Here are some other CPU Coolers i am thinking about, pls recommend me one cuz i am going insane with the stock thing :

1. Spire Kepler v2.0
    2. Deepcool Iceedge Mini FS
    3. Xigmatek Apache III
    4. Cooler Master S200
    5. Deepcool Beta 400 ST

Ty Very much.

LE: Seriously? noone on this site that can help me with this? .. :/
  5. Saiph said:
    ok so i tryed to run a Prime95 stress test on my CPU, the temp went from 38-40°C to 55°C in like 5 seconds, i got scared and exited the aplication.

I tryied to lower the Voltage usage from BIOS Cell Menu and it didn't let me, i had it on [Auto] (With Grey color), i hit the - and it went to 1.755, i knew that is not good so i tryied to lower it more with -, the minumum Voltage it let me was 1.475 after that if i hit any more - it would just get to [Auto] again, ofc now if i press - again it will go back to 1.755.

And the Cooler that comes with the processor in BOX is OMFG Loud, i mean, seriously, if i play at night i actually have to turn my Volume from Speakers decently High (and i own a Z-5500) to not hear my PC.

Its even louder than my GPU's Cooler and I set that to 65% Speed with EXPERTool due to heat problems on 8800 GTS 512.

I seriously need to buy a new Cooler, and my budget is ~25$ for the cooler only.

I didn't believe peoples when they said the Stock Cooler was loud, since the opinions were 50/50 with loud or not loud.

The speed of my CPU Cooler is 5400+ RPM, if i buy for example this cooler :

http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/ICEEDGE_MINI_FS/

Will this handle my CPU's Temps? i mean if a Fan has 5400 RPM and the CPU is still at 41°C, if i put a Cooler that has 2200 RPM, wouldnt that be bad?

Here are some other CPU Coolers i am thinking about, pls recommend me one cuz i am going insane with the stock thing :

1. Spire Kepler v2.0
    2. Deepcool Iceedge Mini FS
    3. Xigmatek Apache III
    4. Cooler Master S200
    5. Deepcool Beta 400 ST

Ty Very much.

LE: Seriously? noone on this site that can help me with this? .. :/

Believe me, I have suffered enough with stock CPU. It's a ******* nightmare!!!!
    I know nothing about the coolers mentioned above. But I can tell you Hyper 212 Plus/Evo is the one to get. It works wonders. Try to keep the voltage as low as possible until you can get a decent cooler in there
  6. Well, I've got the stock cooler. Thing is actually not that loud. Undervolt your CPU and your problem is solved.
  7. Pls just helpe me understand why i cant downvolt my CPU from Bios? I have serious problems with it right now, its in 55°C idle.

I cant find on google any program that can help me change the voltage on my CPU.

And in BIOS i cant change it, it simply wont let me, its blocked on Auto and Over 1.475V, nothing less.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Phenom