bsbrew

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hello,

I am trying to upgrade an slightly older computer. I am trying to figure out if my CPU needs upgraded to avoid a bottleneck or should I upgrade my Graphics card. I am a casual gamer and my upgrade would be for playing newer games. Here are my system specs.

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Gaming graphics 3071 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk 256GB Free (364GB Total)
Windows 7 Home Premium

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
Model GG045AA-ABA a6142n
Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 373 GB
Disk partition (C:) 256 GB Free (364 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 1 GB Free (9 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Total available graphics memory 3071 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2815 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.697
Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
DirectX version DirectX 10

arcticle

Jul 29, 2012
Upgrading your video card will help, but you will only notice improvements in a few small areas such as in games. If you upgrade your CPU, you will notice increased performance in EVERYTHING. There will not be as much of a boost to performance in gaming, but the positive impacts of a modern CPU outweigh the positive impacts of a modern video card in my opinion.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Sadly, I would just ask Santa for cash so you can build a new system. You'd be scavenging eBay for upgrade parts at this point, being stuck on an AM2 board. I believe the best CPU you could do is a X2 6000+ or something, so you're stuck on a dual core. You MAY be able to go to a first gen Phenom, but I'm not sure of the watt rating on that motherboard. Being an HP, I wouldn't trust the power supply to handle anything fancy, either. They tend to put PSUs in that are just enough to handle what they sell you.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3451996

EDIT: Found the watt rating... 89 watts. Doesn't leave much to be desired. X2 5600+ is the best you can do with that board. :(

bsbrew

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Ok guys thanks for the info. Not looking good for me. I got a baby on the way so a new computer is pretty much out of the question. I might be able to do an upgrade here or there but I guess it doesnt really make sense. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS