5 year system upgrade time

mongoose1223

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hey everyone,
I'm looking for advice on if y'all think this is a good build, been out of the computer game for a while.

Use:
--Heavy adobe flash media encoder use -- I stream HD video to websites for work and is my most important factor.
--Gaming: Guild wars 2, battlefield 3 -- Another very important use for the computer.

My current computer:
- Windows XP 32 bit
- Intel C2D E4500 2.2ghz
- Intel D945GCCR MB
- 2gb DDR2 RAM
-Nvidia 8800GTS
-WD 500gb 7200rpm caviar blue
-Antec Earthwatts EA500 PSU

I'm going to college in about a month and have to wait until then to upgrade to windows 7(its $5 through school)... I know XP 32bit can only handle 4gb of ram so I will have to just get by until then with the hardcapped RAM.

Here is what I'm thinking of upgrade to: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cXSw

**I was looking at the MSI 7850 because I though the lower power consumption would be good for my 500w PSU... I like Nvidia's just because thats all I've ever had, but I'd be willing to change to AMD for a better money/power/performance ratio**

**Price, Right now I'm looking at $730 from newegg... I would LOVE to spend less...But also wouldn't have a problem spending $50-100 for upgrading something IF ITS WORTH THE MONEY

I guess I'm going to keep my PSU, HD, DDrives, and computer case....My computer case is older, but I don't really see a huge reason to upgrade it..(please correct me if I'm wrong)

As far as OCing goes.... I really do not want to overclock anything right out of the box/new.(for reliability reasons) But I have no problem OC'ing down the road to keep my computer 'with the times' and running future programs.

Right now, streaming video with the encoder keeps my CPU in the 80%-100% range. I would love to be able to stream and use the computer for other things while I'm streaming (I.E. playing music + surfing the web/etc)

And I would LOVE to be able to play BF3 on ultra with a decent/playable FPS as well as GW2( I played in the beta this last weekend and I had to play everything on low)

Either way this is getting really long lol So any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

P.S. would the 3370k be worth the $$ over the 2600k? I don't think I will come close to maximizing the CPU now...But I would love to future-proof the build as much as possible

here is my suggested changes for you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($53.81 @ Amazon)
Total: $733.75
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-25 05:54 EDT-0400)

the 3570K is plenty of power, and with the Z77, is overclockable.
the 120 GB SSD will be the single best speed related upgrade, no FPS, but very rapid program loading.
I included a PSU just because yours is 5 years old.
and the less expensive cpu, ram, video card, and motherboard enabled the ssd and psu.

if you have a microcenter nearby, then this drops to under $700 with their discounts on cpu + mobo

mongoose1223

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Thank you screwy!
After doing a little more research and going over your post, I was thinking about making these changes:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d0qr

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Video Card: HIS H795F3G2M Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5

With the current rebates/discount this put the grand total at $759.95

I think that the 7950 vs 7850 would be worth the extra $25

I would really like to keep using the antec EA500, just for the fact that it really hasn't given me any problems and if it does, I could upgrade at a later date to the corsair or another similar PSU

So what do y'all think?

I've been reading reviews on the HIS video card(s) Are they a reputable vendor in y'alls mind?

Also, would it be a huge pain to change out these parts keeping my regular windows XP 32bit until I can get windows 7 in a month?

And one last question, Is there a big difference between the:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

All the same price...

Thank you so much!

the only difference between the last two rams is the shape on the heat sink. you want to get low profile ram if you plan to add an overclocking heatsink like the Hyper 212 EVO, both are a little faster than the first one.

the main reason I suggested a new psu is that as the electrolytic capacitors in them age, they become more prone to failure

Hyper 212 Evos, 212 Plus and N520s will not hinder the installation of G.Skill Ripjaws, nor Corsair Vengeance (which are even taller than the Ripjaws) Sorry squirrel, but this is becoming one of my pet peeves on the forums lol. I shall not rest until every one on the forum knows it! :kaola: