Sign in with
Your question

:Problem/s with booting

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2012 7:57:24 AM

As a service provider, I went to attend to a fault for 'Non-Booting' of the system. After the routine check, I concluded on the following:

(1) Faulty Rams - I tried the normal procedure of cleaning the contact terminals of the RAM sticks and yet the system
would not boot.

(2) The fault could also be in the system hard disk.

Note: there was a burning smell emanating from the inside of the system - But could not identify the reason - Is it to do with the SMPS??? If that be so -
The power supply to the peripherals seemed to be o.k and all the peripherals working normally - the C.P.U fan and system cooling fan were running o.k

What could be other reasons???

More about : problem booting

a b B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2012 3:00:30 AM

Did you test the boot with each stick of RAM individually? You could just have bad RAM. Beyond that it's hard to say without more info. If it's a problem in the hard disk or the MB that'll be harder to check than RAM.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2012 4:53:48 AM

Have you tried reseting your cmos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI

also Like Jmero806 try booting of each stick seperately, also try and boot off of each ram in different slots that will rule out ram and bad mobo ram slots

Also if you have a onboard video output try unplugging your video card and boot off without the video card.

And if non of this works maybe try reinstalling a new fresh version of Win-7
Related resources
July 28, 2012 1:38:24 AM

If the problem is the with the CMOS as you have mentioned or if the CMOS is weak, it should only affect the date and time of the system - Therefore, will it in any way create a booting problem?

I believe, you are referring to the CMOS chip on the system motherboard.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2012 4:20:23 PM

Jus reset it... it will not hurt your computer and it is a way of trouble shooting so, if you really don't want to try and trouble shoot then don't do it but if you want to at least try then go ahead...
!