Is a 750 watt power supply big enough?

phonybalogna

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I'm planning on buying the XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply, for a moderately overclocked computer with:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card

LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer

I'm not positive how to check for this stuff; I apologize.

I also want to know that, since I'm overclocking the 3570K, do I need a different brand of thermal paste besides what comes with the Cooler Master EVO? I imagine it'll be fine, but I don't really know.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
750W is plenty for that system and enough to add another 670 on top.

If you dont plan to fill the motherboard RAM slots, that kit will be fine. If you might in the future, you will want low profile RAM as it wont conflict with the heatsink.

The paste that comes with the 212 EVO is re-branded MX-5. It should perform fine, and the differences between thermal paste's are minute at best, its mostly brand loyalty and perceived value that make people pick one or another.
750W is plenty for that system and enough to add another 670 on top.

If you dont plan to fill the motherboard RAM slots, that kit will be fine. If you might in the future, you will want low profile RAM as it wont conflict with the heatsink.

The paste that comes with the 212 EVO is re-branded MX-5. It should perform fine, and the differences between thermal paste's are minute at best, its mostly brand loyalty and perceived value that make people pick one or another.

Solution

phonybalogna

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
That was extremely fast and to the point, thanks! Yeah, I plan on getting more RAM later but eight gigs seems plenty fast for now. Wanted to make sure I should get the power supply while it's still $25 off at NCIX.

Thanks again, that was tremendously helpful.

I do wonder if the 212 EVO is going too big for my Antec P280 case, but it definitely looks spacious enough. Does anyone know for sure?

That's a good PSU. XFX Power supply's are made by Seasonic, who are at the top of the chain for quality. Wattage through the 12V rail is good, is 80+ Bronze and has all the normal features. Has a switch on the back (some, like mine, actually don't).

It will serve you well.