Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Running radeon 4650 with a pci card, possible?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 2, 2012 2:39:59 AM

I have a radeon 4650 installed in my pcie slot on my comp

I was just wondering if i could get a pci card like the ati radeon 7500 to run 4 monitors.

I wont be using it for gaming. Just audio recording programs and minor graphic design.

Thanks for your help!
a c 358 U Graphics card
June 2, 2012 3:04:50 AM

Generally you can, but the Radeon 7500 is a very old card and AMD has dropped support for that card several years ago. If you stick it in a system running current video drivers it will likely not work.

Additionally, the Radeon 7500 does not work with Win Vista or Win 7 which means to have any chance of using that card, you must be using Windows XP. That graphic card only supports up to DirectX 7 which is way below the DirectX 9c minimum for Win Vista and Win 7.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 2, 2012 3:19:19 AM

First off the 7500 requires a AGP slot. So if you have one on your MOBO you will not be able to use that card. You should be able to run 4 monitors with two AMD cards.

Since you are not gaming and you want four monitors doing ther own thing you should be able. If you have another PCIe slot then get another low end AMD card that will use a PCIe slot.

But when you add a second card make sure your PSU will power both cards. The rule to follow is add 200w for the second card. For example the 4650 requires a 450w recommended.

So add the 200w and now it is 650w I hope this helps and good luck to you.

m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2012 3:37:23 AM

DM186 said:
First off the 7500 requires a AGP slot. So if you have one on your MOBO you will not be able to use that card. You should be able to run 4 monitors with two AMD cards.

Since you are not gaming and you want four monitors doing ther own thing you should be able. If you have another PCIe slot then get another low end AMD card that will use a PCIe slot.

But when you add a second card make sure your PSU will power both cards. The rule to follow is add 200w for the second card. For example the 4650 requires a 450w recommended.

So add the 200w and now it is 650w I hope this helps and good luck to you.

200w for an extra 4650....Not at all. A 4650 uses 50w.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 2, 2012 4:28:16 AM

Vettedude said:
200w for an extra 4650....Not at all. A 4650 uses 50w.


It is just a general rule to add 200w when you add a second card. If you would have read my post the right way as I was just using it as an example. What if he had a 560 ti would your comment hold water then?

So please in the fucture read everything carefully and do your reserch. I know you mean well and I can see how you could have taken it out of contex maybe I should have used the 560 ti as the example.

All is good and cheers to you.
m
0
l
June 2, 2012 4:32:00 AM

Okay i have windows 7 so that card is out

And I only had the one pcie slot

Any suggestions for a pci card? Preferably with two dvi or vga outputs

Also, i have a 550w power supply
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
June 2, 2012 6:03:06 AM

Cheapest AMD card with PCI interface at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

One HDMI, one DVI and one VGA outputs. You can use HDMI->DVI adapter to convert HDMI slot to a DVI slot. It will fit your needs perfectly. I know it's a bit overpriced compared to PCI express brother, but you got no cheaper option.
m
0
l
June 2, 2012 8:23:32 AM

Thanks! This should be perfect
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
June 2, 2012 9:35:48 AM

Glad I could help :) .
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2012 1:00:03 PM

DM186 said:
It is just a general rule to add 200w when you add a second card. If you would have read my post the right way as I was just using it as an example. What if he had a 560 ti would your comment hold water then?

So please in the fucture read everything carefully and do your reserch. I know you mean well and I can see how you could have taken it out of contex maybe I should have used the 560 ti as the example.

All is good and cheers to you.

I try to stay away from generalizations when it comes to hardware as diverse as GPU's and PSU's just because there are so many examples. Decisions like this should be made on a per-situation basis IMO.
m
0
l
!