Running radeon 4650 with a pci card, possible?

Tylerelyson

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I have a radeon 4650 installed in my pcie slot on my comp

I was just wondering if i could get a pci card like the ati radeon 7500 to run 4 monitors.

I wont be using it for gaming. Just audio recording programs and minor graphic design.

Thanks for your help!

Generally you can, but the Radeon 7500 is a very old card and AMD has dropped support for that card several years ago. If you stick it in a system running current video drivers it will likely not work.

Additionally, the Radeon 7500 does not work with Win Vista or Win 7 which means to have any chance of using that card, you must be using Windows XP. That graphic card only supports up to DirectX 7 which is way below the DirectX 9c minimum for Win Vista and Win 7.

DM186

Splendid
First off the 7500 requires a AGP slot. So if you have one on your MOBO you will not be able to use that card. You should be able to run 4 monitors with two AMD cards.

Since you are not gaming and you want four monitors doing ther own thing you should be able. If you have another PCIe slot then get another low end AMD card that will use a PCIe slot.

But when you add a second card make sure your PSU will power both cards. The rule to follow is add 200w for the second card. For example the 4650 requires a 450w recommended.

So add the 200w and now it is 650w I hope this helps and good luck to you.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

200w for an extra 4650....Not at all. A 4650 uses 50w.

DM186

Splendid

It is just a general rule to add 200w when you add a second card. If you would have read my post the right way as I was just using it as an example. What if he had a 560 ti would your comment hold water then?

So please in the fucture read everything carefully and do your reserch. I know you mean well and I can see how you could have taken it out of contex maybe I should have used the 560 ti as the example.

All is good and cheers to you.

Tylerelyson

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Okay i have windows 7 so that card is out

And I only had the one pcie slot

Any suggestions for a pci card? Preferably with two dvi or vga outputs

Also, i have a 550w power supply

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

I try to stay away from generalizations when it comes to hardware as diverse as GPU's and PSU's just because there are so many examples. Decisions like this should be made on a per-situation basis IMO.