AMD mobility GPU problem...

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Trying to help a mate with his laptop and playing the game Shogun 2 through steam.

The problem is that before it gets to the part where it plays the intro video - the game crashes. CTD.

The laptop is a macbook with Windows 7 and an AMD radeon HD 6750M graphic processor with 1GB of GDDR5. All other specs (cant remember right now) are well within margins.

1) The drivers are upto date, and we've tried rolling them back too. We've also updated all other drivers.
2) We have tried eliminating software processes to see if there is a software conflict. For instance Anti-Virus. There is now only one installed, as a second one can cause problems.
3) Used driversweeper to clean house, then re-installed. Once with upto date driver, once with a rollback.
4) Have checked dxdiag to see if there are any problems. Everything looks ok.
5) Have checked the integrity of game cache files.
6) Have deleted preferences script.
7) Have re-installed.
8) Have rolled back dx version.
9) Have tried setting windows to 'basic' instead of Aero.
10) Have installed GPU-Z to see if there are any irregularities in the gpu.

I can't find the vsync option in his catalyst software, or at least it isn't listed as vsync or 'vertical sync' - any ideas?

I can't help but feel that the fact that this is a laptop may be the problem. This is a macbook with windows 7 installed, which means that manufacturer (apple) approved drivers work with only OSX no? I installed latest drivers on my laptop once and it didn't like it. Went to manufacturer website, downloaded the one they had listed - and boom it was perfectly fine. I just wonder if this is the root of the problem.

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

I've had this problem with games before - it won't run the video then CTD's. I just can't remember the fix I used.

Thanks in advance.

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Thanks for the reply - Point no 7 - yes have tried to install a few times now. It may not be catalyst that is the problem, but I know from experience that vsync can cause some interesting issues. Any ideas where it may be hiding?