Shwoogernaut

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I just recently built a budget gaming computer for a friend. I was looking through the bios, and noticed that the cpu multiplier option went all the way up to 36. Now, this is a locked Ivy Bridge processor that comes stock at 3.0ghz. I thought that the non-k series weren't supposed to be overclockable? Additionally, would this change occur across all cores should this work? I'm not certain how well the Ivy Bridge series overclock in general, so I'm also worried about having to change the voltage to achieve this clock speed. It's a MSI motherboard with a z77 northbridge.

All the non k i5 and i7 can go up 400mhz and is essentially just changing the turbo. 3.6ghz when using 1 or 2 cores, 3.4ghz when using 3 or all 4 cores. (Note: on this cpu turbo only has 2 levels, while other quad cores may have 3 or 4.) It will still be 3.0 when not using turbo. You can leave the voltage alone. It will usually go up to 4.0ghz or so before you need to raise the voltage but you can't go that high.

UberGeoff

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hi

I have manage to overclock my 3330 to 3.6 GHz... up from 3.0Ghz. Would add a CPU-Z image onto this thread (as proof) if I could find the "add attachment" option. :) All I did was update the CPU ratio on my Asus P8 Z77-M. Im no pro at overclocking but all i had to do was increase the CPU multiplier.

I did a few 3dmark vantage tests as well (just to be sure)... each 200Mhz increment kept giving me hight 3dMarks. :) So i guess it must be working...?

Question: How would I know if the tests I was running were running on 2 or 4 cores...?

Question: Anyone know of another utility I can use to reconfirm my CPU-Z read outs...?

Thx

Akiracoe

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Hi, very new to this forum but thought I'd come straight here as I've just finished building a new pc with an i5-3330 and a 2gb 7850.

Just interested to know what, if any, results others have had with overclocking their i5? I'm currently only using the Asus AI Suite II (the TurboV Evo tool within it) and have managed to get my speed up to 3.638 (107.0 x 34). Any hints/tips how I could get it any higher? Not really comfortable messing with the voltages to be honest - last thing I need is a fried cpu at the moment.

Thanks

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
OC Genie is nothing more than a software gimmick. It's rarely useful in the real world.

All the non k i5 and i7 can go up 400mhz and is essentially just changing the turbo. 3.6ghz when using 1 or 2 cores, 3.4ghz when using 3 or all 4 cores. (Note: on this cpu turbo only has 2 levels, while other quad cores may have 3 or 4.) It will still be 3.0 when not using turbo. You can leave the voltage alone. It will usually go up to 4.0ghz or so before you need to raise the voltage but you can't go that high.

^This is 100% correct

TheElectronicGeek1

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Ok it says i can only overclock to 3.2GHz lots of other people who wanted to do this said that's the limit. The unlocked processor goes farther, and in MSI Control center it says the max multiplier is x32 (= 3.2GHz) I tried changing the voltage and ran Minecraft and nothing was different.

Multiplier is max turbo speed. 3.2 is max turbo stock, so you aren't changing anything. 3.2 is not the max, you just can't change it because you are on h77, which also means having an unlocked cpu makes no difference for you. Did you even read the thread?

Apooo

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Yeah, the highest clock speed I've been able to get the i5-3330 on air was 3.6GHz, in the upcoming weeks I'll try to use liquid cooling to see if I can get it to 4.0GHz, but since it isn't a K series, it might be locked at a 3.6GHz maximum.

TheElectronicGeek1

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014

How did you even overclock it?