Remove all "access is denied" on win 7 U pc 32bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

laserscottman

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Have Win 7 Ultimate 32bit. I am Administrator--the only account on my only PC--no other users use it. In C:/ there are at least 6 folders listed with padlock icons on them instead of a folder icon. Documents and Settings, and System Volume Information will not let me in. How can I remove ALL LOCK icons and their effect forever? I don't care a hoot about all this "Spy vs Spy" hooey. MY COMPUTER, MY RULES! Please respond, even if it is a lot of work on your part--I'm sure MANY will benefit! Thanks. Scott

Solution
Hi,

Sminlal is correct – Windows 7 does not have an accessible “Documents and Settings” folder. The “My Documents and Settings” is not a folder used by Windows 7. It is what is called a junction point. If you note, the folder itself is shaded out with a shortcut overlay. If you have "Hide protected operating system files" unchecked, then you will see these junction points. It is intended that users have no access to these junction points.

In Windows 7, the “My Documents and Settings“, has been replaced by "Users". Each user account will then have Documents, Pictures, videos etc. Note the "My" designation is no longer used. These junction points exist to provide backwards compatibility for older programs that are unaware of the...
System Volume Information is an NTFS system folder - its contents contain the NTFS journals and other critical file system metadata. There isn't anything in there you need to see or fiddle with.

Windows 7 doesn't have a "Documents and Settings" folder, instead it stores user profiles in the "Users" folder. Is this drive left over from a previous Windows XP installation? To access the files, right click the folder and chose "Properties", and then go to the Security tab and the advanced options. What you need to do is to (a) take ownership of the folder and all of its contents, and then (b) change the access control list of the folder and all its contents to allow Administrator : Full Control.

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hi,

Sminlal is correct – Windows 7 does not have an accessible “Documents and Settings” folder. The “My Documents and Settings” is not a folder used by Windows 7. It is what is called a junction point. If you note, the folder itself is shaded out with a shortcut overlay. If you have "Hide protected operating system files" unchecked, then you will see these junction points. It is intended that users have no access to these junction points.

In Windows 7, the “My Documents and Settings“, has been replaced by "Users". Each user account will then have Documents, Pictures, videos etc. Note the "My" designation is no longer used. These junction points exist to provide backwards compatibility for older programs that are unaware of the new folder structure in Windows 7. A program that is hardcoded to install files in the old Documents and Settings will be silently redirected to the new location.

Also, for security purposes, the “System Volume Information” folder has always been a protected system file even in operating systems that precede Windows 7. The information contained within the “System Volume Information” is very sensitive and is not intended to be manipulated or tampered with by users. However, should you feel the need to gain access to the folder’s contents, you can find information on how to do so in Microsoft’s Knowledge Base article “How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder.” While the provided KB article is directed towards the Microsoft Windows XP operating system, the steps provided for the NTFS file system is still applicable for Windows 7.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Solution

laserscottman

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Brett928S2--
Yes. Though it is the first OS I actually bought after trying a bootleg copy of it. (tucking my tail in shame) :non:

sminlal--
Strangely enough, I used some info I found elsewhere and applied it in the way you describe--and Voila! Though I still cannot make the Icons appear without the Lock picture displayed... Perhaps they must be replaced? :sarcastic:

gamerk316--
Mostly true, but some games and other Utility Pgms I have DO access SVI and provide the details therein. Useful for diagnostics in error chasing! But you are right in that it should basically be left alone. :ange:

winoutreach5--
Wow Jessica--you have reminded me of something I take for granted always, in the effort to be in control. That is, that I always have "Hide protected operating system files" unchecked. !! Maybe I should explore actually using this OS with this box checked. In the past, it has been in the way in searching for specific things like .dll files, etc--so I just make it unchecked on every install. I have had to enter games folders to modify key bindings so often, that I have just gotten used to modifying the Folder Options as soon as I can. (I prefer the Classic look, and single-click)
Your clear explanation concerning the 'junction points' and that some folder Icons are dimly shown (indicating that they were previously hidden) helps to understand the process. As "sminlal" has explained, I have now been able to adjust things satisfactorily, and will see how things go with trying to keep that box checked! Hopefully, I will remember that it MAY be a reason why I can't find something! With it checked now, there are so few folders showing, that I'll have to recall how to find them again! Thanks for your wisdom, all-- :)

My next project will be to try to find the exact process to make every folder view identical everywhere I go--specifically that they all display in the "list" view. The combination of adjustments I've tried just doesn't seem to apply to all folders and make them stay that way.

Then, on to discover the role that DirectX has in gaming, and subsequently displaying errors and crashing when drivers or game settings are at odds. There doesn't seem to be a tutorial complete enough to learn to diagnose problems very well, and I want to try to help others with correct research.

Again, thank you all for your kind and informative replies. I can see it will help many. Cheers! Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.