Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade advice?

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2012 4:17:53 AM

currently have a Q6600 @3.2Ghz with 4GB DDR2 RAM on a J7W IP35-PRO Motherboard, 520w Corsair Power Supply 500GB Samsung Hard Drive (3Gb/s) and a 560 Ti Graphics Card.

With the current setup I have I'm starting to believe it's definitely time for an upgrade, games such as ARMA 2 for example and Metro 2033 seems to be a bit too much of a stretch now for the Processor. So, I'm looking to upgrade in order to play games such as ARMA 2 and even ARMA 3 when it's out (supposedly same specs to run both games well) as ARMA 2 seems pretty bad on the Processor and Hard drive. I know going the AMD route and using the older Phenom ii's would probably be the cheapest route but would that be possible in terms of future upgrades (I.e. going from a Phenom ii to Piledriver on the same Motherboard) ?

Or, would the Intel route be best... possibly getting a i3-2100 or 2120 and upgrading later on (but would these be sufficient for a game like ARMA 2)

The budget I have would allow for me to get up to an I7 2600k and decent motherboard. However, I would also like to know what the best sort of route to go in order to play the stated games at decent frame rates and maintaining a good price/performance ratio.

Overclocking is also possibility for me as I'm guessing a future Power Supply upgrade will be on the list of thing to get.

If anyone can recommend Good Processor/RAM/Motherboards to go and get, it would be appreciated.

More about : upgrade advice

a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2012 4:22:19 AM

Overclock, then upgrade to next years Intel Haswell.

As for the power supply, no need to upgrade it.
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2012 11:01:12 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
a b B Homebuilt system
July 25, 2012 11:17:55 AM

I agree with amuffin. His suggestion would be the best route. IB is the last of the lga 1155 socket CPU's. If you still get them, your future upgrade routes would be limited.

If you cannot wait that long, i5 3570k, Asrock z77 Extreme 4, 8 Gb Mushkin Enhanced Blacline DDR3 1600 1.5 V.
!