Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Fx8120 at this time, worth it as cheap upgrade?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 2:59:04 PM

hi my friends!
I am in huge doubt, well actually a couple....

By know i have a Phenom 2 x4 945 non be, overclocked at 3.75ghz....

My girlfriend wants to give me as gift a new processor, of course a vishera 8 core would be the ideal. The problem is that such processor havent yet come to my country and at this date it wont....

The only processor selling here is the fx 8120... I said her to wait just a couple days before buying i dont want her to throw her money and i dont get she wanted to give me, a nice upgrade....

I only use my pc for gaming, bf3, wow, leage of legends and most need for speed and other racing simulator.... Rts and old rpg....

My major doubt is if the bulldozer 8 core overclocked to at least 4.5ghz will be a improvement in gaming experience.... I have a decent watercooling set up with a triple rad for cpu and gpu... Which worked great keeping my phenom cool and stable....


Really apreciate any imput or opinion....
December 6, 2012 3:06:31 PM

It would be fine, although the i5 would be better but as you are going to use the same motherboard, it would be a decent upgrade.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 3:33:42 PM

This is my current set up...





The 970 extreme3 has a not intended Phase VRM, just a 4 +1, I put on it a some thermal pads and a large heatsink over them... i want to know how well my mobo can handle the FX8120, how fan thorically i can push it....

Score
0
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 4:23:49 PM

Thermal pads? EGAD! No! NO NO NO! Thermal paste is so much better. 10-20C easy.

The 8120 isn't that good a gaming processor, unless you disable four of the modules to make it into a quad core with some nice LX cache.
The 8320 is a much better buy.

TBH. If your only gaming, you should just stick with your phenom. You would a much better overclock if you get some thermal paste under that heatsink.

Also, judging from that add-in card, I'm going to say that you would benefit far, far, FAR more greatly from a new GPU.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 5:13:28 PM

MajinCry said:
Thermal pads? EGAD! No! NO NO NO! Thermal paste is so much better. 10-20C easy.

The 8120 isn't that good a gaming processor, unless you disable four of the modules to make it into a quad core with some nice LX cache.
The 8320 is a much better buy.

TBH. If your only gaming, you should just stick with your phenom. You would a much better overclock if you get some thermal paste under that heatsink.

Also, judging from that add-in card, I'm going to say that you would benefit far, far, FAR more greatly from a new GPU.


Looking at his system specs it shows the graphics card to be a Sapphire Dirt3 Edition HD 6950 2GB, so a gpu upgrade won't be a huge benefit.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 7:36:38 PM

For gaming, the 8120 provides zero benefit. Waste of money

Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 7:41:43 PM

Get the 8300 series , I just picked up the 8350 , was 189.00 i'm sure the price will go down again , 8100 series , forget it , not worth it at all
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 7:44:29 PM

twelve25 said:
For gaming, the 8120 provides zero benefit. Waste of money

You make me lol.
That's far from true.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 7:48:44 PM

What games will the 8120 run significantly better than the Phenom 965?

Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 8:06:38 PM

twelve25 said:
What games will the 8120 run significantly better than the Phenom 965?

:) 
Score
0

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 8:35:38 PM

twelve25 said:
What games will the 8120 run significantly better than the Phenom 965?

First off its the 945 not the 965.



Thats the 980 ... enough said.
Share
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 8:40:07 PM

horaciopz said:
This is my current set up...


The 970 extreme3 has a not intended Phase VRM, just a 4 +1, I put on it a some thermal pads and a large heatsink over them... i want to know how well my mobo can handle the FX8120, how fan thorically i can push it....


Nice rig. you should be able to get upwards of 4.7 ghz from it. I haven't messed with the asrock boards, but I hear they are good for oc, much better than gigabyte.

one thing to do is bump the cpu np, and ht voltage slightly. this will allow lower v-core.

I currently run my 8120 at 4.7ghz with 1.344V core.

Id also look into adding a 2nd 6950, they should be fairly cheap to find some used ones now.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 8:41:37 PM

melikepie said:
Did you even care enough to get it in english?

no engilsh speaking websites are brave enough to post multiplayer numbers. they want to run the single player crap.

should be clear enough as caspian border is a 64 player map.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 8:43:01 PM

i feel my gpu ok for what i need, at 1080p and most games play over 40fps except bf3 that in some big maps drops to even 20ish fps.... Also i have to add that the in my country those new processors are not here yet, maybe for late february....maybe.... :(  so now she have the money and thats my girlfriend wants to give, cuz she says,that my phenom is just an old and tired dog lol! Keep coming imputs please...
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 8:45:02 PM

noob2222 said:
no engilsh speaking websites are brave enough to post multiplayer numbers. they want to run the single player crap.

should be clear enough as caspian border is a 64 player map.

"no engilsh speaking websites"
That's funny how you say it and it looks like you did not even try to look.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 8:45:47 PM

Quote:
i feel my gpu ok for what i need, at 1080p and most games play over 40fps except bf3 that in some big maps drops to even 20ish fps.... Also i have to add that the in my country those new processors are not here yet, maybe for late february....maybe.... :(  so now she have the money and thats my girlfriend wants to give, cuz she says,that my phenom is just an old and tired dog lol! Keep coming imputs please...

Stop posting the same thing.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 8:45:58 PM

AMD - Intel
^-------^
%100 %0
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 8:55:20 PM

melikepie said:
"no engilsh speaking websites"
That's funny how you say it and it looks like you did not even try to look.

Hard ocp did one, but they only tested video cards.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/22/battlefield_3...

from what I have found, if there are any english bf3 mp cpu reviews, they are only on forums, and very limited configurations.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 5:05:28 PM

Well, to close this threat I thank everybody for their input. I couldn't get an FX 8120 either. Instead... a friend offered His ASRock Z68 extreme 7 for cheap. And with the money I was going to spend on a FX8120 I got an I5 2500k.

Now its a world in improvement. Thanks for your post and opinions :p 
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 5:06:50 PM

Best answer selected by horaciopz.
Score
0
!