New graphics card

rd1186

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I want a new graphics card powerful enough to run diablo 3 but don't want to upgrade my PSU(which is only 300w). Which GPU would be the best choice? I was told GeForce GT 430 would work but just wondering if that's my best option.

rd1186

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I just wanted to add that I have the Dell Inspiron 570 with dual core AMD Athlon II x2 240 CPU and if you need any other info just let me know I have AIDA64 to get whatever info you might need.

a radeon 7750 should be able to fit your pc and psu. make sure you get the 800 mhz clockrate version that doesnt require an extra pcie power cable. there is another version of 7750 came out recently which has 900 mhz clockrate and requires an extra pcie power cable. both have similar prices. i mean that get something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161403
instead of something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150611
radeon 7750 is much more powerful than a gt430 and will perform better with diablo 3.

rd1186

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
thank you for the help. One other question is that i see PSUs on ebay for around $20 for a 400w, is that something Iwant to stay away from.(really cheap PSUs that is) or are all PSUs pretty much the same? just wondering if it would be better to get a 400w to open my options for a new graphics card or just go with the 7750. It just seems I could probably get a better card for around the 7750 price if I were to get a 400w PSU. thank you again.

randomkid

Distinguished

Getting a new power supply to open up more powerful gpu options is great idea. But buying a $20 PSU is not. PSU is a great investment for a PC because it does not get outdated as fast as processors or gpus do. You can bring it up to next build when all your other components are obsolete. But the most important function of a good PSU is protecting your other components. Thus, it will be best to save up a little more for a quality PSU than invest is something what may soon fall short of you requirement in the long run. Try to get Corsair, seasonic or OCZ's. Actually, hunting for a good PSU is even more fun that hunting for a GPU. :) Enjoy the hunt!

i am sorta against getting used pc parts unless you're buying from familiar people and have very good idea about the parts you're about to buy from him/her/them.
$20 for cheap 400w psu doesn't seem like a good deal. all psus are not built equal. even psus from the same brand differ a lot in quality. some purposefully use confusion in psu model numbering/naming to confuse customers. coolermaster, thermaltake are examples of these. avoid zebronics, frontec, coolermaster extreme power plus, iball, raidmax psus.
corsair, seasonic, enermax, antec have some good psus available. you can even recycle a good psu to a newer build. you can easily run a 7750 off a corsair cx430 v2 or a corsair cx 500 v2. check your pc's psu specs, if it's an atx mid tower, any of those psus should fit fine. i'd recommend the cx 500 v2, just to be on the safe side. if money's a problem, cx 430 v2 would do, seeing how you've managed with a 300w psu so far.