Sign in with
Your question

New Home-Built PC Freezes every second (stuttering?) Help!

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2012 2:32:40 PM

Greetings all,

I just built a new PC as my old one was built 6 years ago...

Here is my config: (copied and pasted from the Amazon links where I bought them from)

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX570/1280 MB GDDR5/DL-DVI-I x2/Mini HDMI/PCI Express x16 2.0 Graphics Card (N570GTX Twin Frozr II)

Intel Core i5 3570K Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K

Cooler Master Hyper N520 Mirror Finished Copper Base Aluminum Fins 5 Heatpipes CPU Cooler - (RR-920-N520-GP)

Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI Dual LAN Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD5H

Corsair Memory Vengeance 16 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 MHz 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 (4 ram sticks)

OCZ ZT Series 750W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply

Samsung 830 - Series MZ-7PC256N/AM 256 GB 2.5 Inch SATA III MLC Internal SSD

I installed Win7 64 bit, all drivers, did windows updates, installed my games, and I have the same problem in every game:

-At first, everything is OK
-Load game, start playing, suddenly the PC starts freezing every second or so, i.e. the screen stops and the sound loops (makes the "bzzz" noise)
-If I keep playing, the freezing gets more frequent, and the freeze is longer, so it might go from freezing for 1/4 second every 3 seconds to freezing for 1/2 second ever second.
-If I alt tab to windows, I notice that even my mouse cursor freezes in windows when this is happening
-If I let the computer idle for a minute, it goes away, but if I alt tab back to the game, it is back to doing it within 20-30 seconds

This sounds like a heat issue to me, so I loaded RealTemp, HW Monitor, even my MSI Afterburner software. No temp is getting above 55 degrees C.

My troubleshooting steps:
-Do clean install of latest NVIDIA Drivers (still doing it)
-Downgrade to older NVIDIA drivers from MSI website (still doing it)
-Run samsung magician to make sure SSD is ok (no problems found)
-Check BIOS to make sure all memory settings, HDD settings were right (voltages, SSD in AHCI mode, etc)

I can't figure this out. I don't have other parts to swap in to see if the problem is fixed... I don't know what to do! Mind you, the computer never hangs or locks up such that I need to hit the reset button or ctrl-alt-del and end any task... It just simply stutters, all the time, if I load it down any :( 

Any advice is appreciated.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 25, 2012 3:10:01 PM

re-install the audio drivers

also check your system event log for any issues.

might be PSU not holding the load under the stress of gaming, it happens sometimes.
m
l
July 25, 2012 3:53:44 PM

jerreddredd said:
re-install the audio drivers

also check your system event log for any issues.

might be PSU not holding the load under the stress of gaming, it happens sometimes.

It's a 750W OCZ power supply. I searched around and couldn't find anything, can you link me to info about such a power supply failing with only a single GPU, i5, and SSD?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 25, 2012 5:16:53 PM

mechanicaljake said:
It's a 750W OCZ power supply. I searched around and couldn't find anything, can you link me to info about such a power supply failing with only a single GPU, i5, and SSD?

it's not a normal thing so there won't be a lot written about. sometime components go bad. voltage regulator... you should definitely rule out all other things before replacing.

It could also be a bad GPU, they go bad also, much easier to swap out. maybe borrow a friends.

m
l
July 25, 2012 6:38:46 PM

jerreddredd said:
it's not a normal thing so there won't be a lot written about. sometime components go bad. voltage regulator... you should definitely rule out all other things before replacing.

It could also be a bad GPU, they go bad also, much easier to swap out. maybe borrow a friends.

Modern power supplies and motherboards do not use voltage regulators, they use switch mode IC's, I do not have any reason to suspect the PSU. Big issues would be transient voltage response to load from the DDR memory on the GPU and motheroard, but this doesn't seem to be related to RAM activity. I have observed the +3.3, +5V and +12V rails on a handheld oscilloscope and the voltage ripple is well within acceptable limits for a switch mode power supply. I do not see any severe deviation from regulation voltage with transient loads.

The GPU is common sense however it passes all tests and the temperature does not go over 55 degrees C with a 24 degree C ambient temperature.

The sound is not the issue here, you mentioned the sound drivers which have been reloaded however the sound loops due to the machine freezing, the issue is not with the sound.

I would like to hear from anyone who has experienced this issue before... As opposed to random speculation :) 

I can't believe that I am alone in this issue! Someone has to have experienced this before.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 25, 2012 9:51:42 PM

first, I was throwing ideas out there for you to check. The PSU was worst case scenario... and they do go bad. just because the voltages appear Ok doesn't mean the PSU is good, if it cannot produce the current that the CPU and GPU are asking for or the voltage becomes unstable with a load, then you get lockups..

second, the term voltage regulator is a generic term that would include any device(s) that regulates voltage.

third, any device driver or failing device could cause your issues. the suggestion to reload your audio driver is a valid one, especially since you said buzzing and looping was part of the symptom.

If you continue to disrespect people that are trying to help you, you are not going to have people lining up to assist you.

I'm done. Maybe someone else will help you.
m
l
July 25, 2012 10:28:56 PM

jerreddredd said:
first, I was throwing ideas out there for you to check. The PSU was worst case scenario... and they do go bad. just because the voltages appear Ok doesn't mean the PSU is good, if it cannot produce the current that the CPU and GPU are asking for or the voltage becomes unstable with a load, then you get lockups..

second, the term voltage regulator is a generic term that would include any device(s) that regulates voltage.

third, any device driver or failing device could cause your issues. the suggestion to reload your audio driver is a valid one, especially since you said buzzing and looping was part of the symptom.

If you continue to disrespect people that are trying to help you, you are not going to have people lining up to assist you.

I'm done. Maybe someone else will help you.

Sheesh... I was just looking for someone else who had experienced the same issue... I think you are just a little sensitive!?

I wasn't trying to disrespect nor respect you. Lol.
m
l
!