WoW Simulator

Where can I get the software to make my computer a WoW server?

--
WarGreg - Battle.net Warriors
www.wargreg.com

"WarGreg" <wargreg@wargreg.com> wrote in message

> Where can I get the software to make my computer a WoW server?

Off of some unsafe, illegal, worm-infested, keylogger-spreading 1337
warez site, where all such software originates?
-Marshall

WarGreg wrote:
> I'm a poor guy.

As has been said, you're gonna miss out a lot playing on some dodgy
pirate server.

3 months = £25 = £8.33 per month

want some advice?

1. when the weekend comes turn your computer off for a couple of hours
1. get yourself a bucket, sponge (if you don't have it, borrow one)
2. Find a street where most houses have a nice looking car parked
outside, and the houses look very posh.
2. knock on your next door neighbour's door, offer to wash their car
for, lets say, £2 (or equivalent in your currency). Ask to fill up
your bucket with hot water an soapy stuff. If they are nice rich people
and you do a good job, its quite likely they will tip you more than £2
3. Wash the car.
3. If they have more than one car, wash those too
4. Repeat all the way down the street.

Follow these steps carefully and after 3-4 cars you'll have enough cash
to play a legitimate game of WoW for a month.

oops some mistakes, I'll try again =]

WarGreg wrote:
> I'm a poor guy.

As has been said, you're gonna miss out a lot playing on some dodgy
pirate server.

3 months = £25 = £8.33 per month

want some advice?

1. when the weekend comes turn your computer off for a couple of hours
2. get yourself a bucket, sponge (if you don't have it, borrow one)
3. Find a street where most houses have a nice looking car parked
outside, and the houses look very posh.
4. knock on a door, offer to wash their car
for, lets say, £2 (or equivalent in your currency). Ask to fill up
your bucket with hot water an soapy stuff. If they are nice rich people
and you do a good job, its quite likely they will tip you more than £2
5. Wash the car.
6. If they have more than one car, wash those too
7. Repeat all the way down the street.

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:44:31 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
wrote:

>Davian wrote:
>>
>> I'm simply informing you that you are incorrect that the official
>> servers must always be the best. It is entirely possible to take
>> the ruleset of any game and improve upon it. I know it's true.
>> I've seen it happen. As I said, I played on two private Ultima
>> Online servers which were better run than the official servers. The
>> functionality was better, the ruleset was better, and the skill
>> system was better. And the playerbase was most definitely much
>> better.
>
>With all due respect, UO <> WoW. And Blizzard, unlike Origin, is zealous
>about defending their intellectual property, as well as weeding out cheaters
>and hackers. In reference to your other reply, there is no question that a
>hacked server is copyright infringement, so don't even try to defend it on
>that basis. This is Blizzard's property, and they have every right to make
>sure they remain in complete control of it. The courts back them fully on
>this point.
You don't work for Blizzard or SCO, by any chance, do you? Because
IANAL, but that's wrong on a couple of counts.

Firstly, you misunderstand and misrepresent copyright. Copyright is
about what you write, not what it does or how it does it (which is the
realm of patents, if at all). In particular it's *not* breach of
copyright to produce code that behaves in a similar manner to other
code. Blizzard have copyright on the precise code they wrote, not on
all code that behaves the same. Reverse-engineering to produce
something that behaves the same *is* permitted under law (even in the
States, and despite the DMCA, which limits its use but doesn't prevent
or forbid it) - you have what's termed a "fair use" right to
re-engineer.

Secondly, it's unclear that there's anything wrong with running a
non-Blizzard WoW server (whether or not I think it's a good idea is
not germane). To say that the courts "back (Blizzard) fully" is
untrue; the issue is, as yet, undecided. The Blizzard vs BnetD
action, relating to a similar reverse-engineering of aspects of
Blizzard's Battlenet servers, is still going through the system; the
BnetD appeal was in court as recently as last Monday:

Now - I don't remotely have the training to know how this one is
likely to play out, but I watch and form judgements. This is in the
Appeals court, so Blizzard clearly won the first round. But I get a
kind of feeling that, far from Blizzard getting the Appeals court to
"back them fully", their case could just possibly be swirling slowly
down the legal pan. In particular I find it striking that the
Blizzard camp seem to have been pitching their argument more at the
"piracy is bad" visceral level than at the legal arguments, whilst the
BnetD camp have been arguing law (and, to an outside, untrained
observer, effectively arguing it). It suggests to me that Blizzard's
lawyers don't feel they have quite as strong a legal case as they'd
like.

Whilst there's no prejudging what courts will decide, they tend to be
somewhat more interested in the law. Personally, I'll be watching
this one closely.

(As indeed, should anyone who's interested in what precisely it means,
legally, to click on that "I agree" button at the bottom of an
on-screen EULA, because the case is about that, as well.)

Cheers - Ian

I would like to install one, not for the 'free WoW', but to make a WoW
with the rules I would like in the normal WoW, like:
- Level limit in group members, no more than 6 or so levels appart
- A more elaborate crafting system (with failures and what not)
- Reduce 1 level to all mobs (maintaining their difficulty)
- No respecs
- Harsher death penalty (exp debt)
- Buffs restricted by level

"Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam> wrote in message

> With all due respect, UO <> WoW. And Blizzard, unlike Origin, is zealous
> about defending their intellectual property, as well as weeding out cheaters
> and hackers. In reference to your other reply, there is no question that a
> hacked server is copyright infringement, so don't even try to defend it on
> that basis. This is Blizzard's property, and they have every right to make
> sure they remain in complete control of it. The courts back them fully on
> this point.

If'n ye say so, laddie. As I said before, I have no interest in debating the
legal specifics of the matter. I'll wait until the courts give a judgement
on the legality of emulators. In the meantime, feel free to repeat whatever
you want to believe until you're blue in the face.

--
Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

"We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

WarGreg <wargreg@wargreg.com> stared blankly into space for a short
while before writing:
> I'm a poor guy.

So am I.

And if I could spend all day playing WoW, I probably would. The problem
is that I *can't* afford to spend all day playing WoW, so I go out and
spend part of the day earning the money I need to be able to afford to
play WoW the rest of the day.

Now I *can* afford to play WoW, I just can't do it all day.

--
Doc

On 27 Jun 2005 12:26:11 -0700, "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I would like to install one, not for the 'free WoW', but to make a WoW
>with the rules I would like in the normal WoW, like:
> - Level limit in group members, no more than 6 or so levels appart
> - A more elaborate crafting system (with failures and what not)
> - Reduce 1 level to all mobs (maintaining their difficulty)
> - No respecs
> - Harsher death penalty (exp debt)
> - Buffs restricted by level

The opposite of what i would make lol.

Levelling up from every mob, max talent points instantly, every mob
drops 100 gold and epic items.

Why? I dunno. It would be a laugh :)

--
"Nintendo could have been making all the mistakes in the world before.
But because they were up against Sega, nobody noticed"

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:49:35 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
wrote:

(...rather a lot of wishful thinking about how things ought to be,
rather than how they are..)

Mike - I'm not going to get into an extended slanging match here. You
work for one of Blizz's competitors; fine, it's understandable that
they (and you) have a particular view of the way the world ought to
be. I've worked for one of the largest players in the computer
industry for a fair number of years as well; simply, I don't share
your views on where the law on all of this stands (not least because I
could point to a number of cases where people have done somewhat
similar things around our software and hardware products without being
successfully taken to court - and our lawyers aren't exactly famous
for incompetence, or for sitting on their hands, come to that).

As for copyright, re-engineering, and so forth - anyone who wants to
know at a casual level what the state of play is, can easily go look
the subject up for themselves, and make their own minds up; I believe
they'll find the facts tend to support my position rather than yours,
but either way they'd end up better informed than they're going to
become reading this thread. If they then act on that opinion without
taking legal advice, though, they're idiots.

Regards - Ian

(All opinions above are my own, and don't necessarily in any way
reflect those of my employer.)

If I may diverge slightly from the topic at hand, does anyone else
believe that there is a nice opportunity for a MMOG developer to make a
do-it-yourself server kit for their game? I see a sort of NWN but
built specifically for a massive multiplayer game. (maybe NWN2 is
going to move in that direction?)

The recent history of gaming (see HL-CS phenomena, but many others as
well) shows that a game can do extremely well if it can generate a
dedicated mod community and that the community can come up with some
damn brilliant ideas and see them to completion as well. As someone
else already pointed out, private UO servers are sometimes better than
the official ones.

One obvious problem is private servers don't produce revenue for the
company, but Guild Wars has already started an attack on that model, so
it is possible to compete without subscription fees. Furthermore,
since the server code would be provided by the developer, they could
conceivably include some method to require login to a central server
(iow, be a paying customer) in order to use a private server. Or, even
have licensed servers with the potential to start a server 'franchise'
that offers its own subscription.

Anyway, for me, the idea isn't to avoid paying subscription fees or
beat the system, the idea is to get new content and maybe even setup my
own server and try my hand at creating something.

Obviously Blizzard won't be doing this any time soon, they are making
too much money and have too much to do as it is. What about EQ2
though? Or one of the smaller ones? Certainly seems like a better
method to increase interest than that real-money auction nonsense.

any thoughts?

There is an MMO out right now that lets you design your own in game
home and if it passes the developers inspection they will put it in
game for you to use. If I remember correctly there is other stuff that
you can design aswell.

rene

Ian Noble <fredd@clara.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:49:35 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
> wrote:
>
> (...rather a lot of wishful thinking about how things ought to be,
> rather than how they are..)
>
> Mike - I'm not going to get into an extended slanging match here. You
> work for one of Blizz's competitors; fine, it's understandable that
> they (and you) have a particular view of the way the world ought to
> be. I've worked for one of the largest players in the computer
> industry for a fair number of years as well; simply, I don't share
> your views on where the law on all of this stands (not least because I
> could point to a number of cases where people have done somewhat
> similar things around our software and hardware products without being
> successfully taken to court - and our lawyers aren't exactly famous
> for incompetence, or for sitting on their hands, come to that).
>
> As for copyright, re-engineering, and so forth - anyone who wants to
> know at a casual level what the state of play is, can easily go look
> the subject up for themselves, and make their own minds up; I believe
> they'll find the facts tend to support my position rather than yours,
> but either way they'd end up better informed than they're going to
> become reading this thread. If they then act on that opinion without
> taking legal advice, though, they're idiots.

To pop in as well: Emulators are generally legal IFF they are clean-room
blackbox reverse engineered and NOT taken 99.9% off 4CDs bought or
downloaded from somewhere.

The emulators that do exist all use the data off Blizzard's game in a way
they don't allow. And they CAN forbid this unsanctioned use of their data.
If someone writes their own server that just happens to be able to
communicate to the official client without using any of Blizzards code,
then that's fair game. Such a thing does not exist as of yet. And I'd
estimate that's houndreds if not more man-years of work to be done.

And for those interested in those emulators: It's a bit the same thing as
in Diablo2: The game discs contain almost all the data needed to run a
server. But as far as I understand, the whole instancing thing is missing.
So forget instances, BGs and all server-side only changes Blizzard does. It
just won't happen.

CU

René

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

nazgul

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002

Rene <invalid@email.addr> wrote:

> And for those interested in those emulators: It's a bit the same thing as
> in Diablo2: The game discs contain almost all the data needed to run a
> server. But as far as I understand, the whole instancing thing is missing.
> So forget instances, BGs and all server-side only changes Blizzard does. It
> just won't happen.

Actually, server contains the following content:

NPCs (placement, names, vendor prices, etc)
Quests
Mob placement and stats
XP tables
Player characters
Some high-level code

Instances fall under that high level code, as it requires very
precise thread programming. That's why pirated servers don't have
them.

Game itself contains landscapes, monster data (looks), NPC and PC
looks (all the possibilities), item and equipment data (not the
drop rates though), etc.

And for all of you who use pirated servers... Did you know that
your character profiles are saved in a plaintext file on a server,
together with your passwords? Hope you trust the owner of that
server, or at least don't use that password anywhere else...

How do I know this? Before I got WoW, I installed a pirate server
(for myself and nobody else) on my local machine, and played
with it a little, to get to know as much as I could about what makes
the game tick. That's the biggest reason I'm advocating that you
do NOT play on pirate servers under any circumstances... Except
for the miniscule ammount of content, you could be abused so
terribly you woildn't believe it.

--
Nazgul, via terminal
Visit: http://www.sfmreza.tk

>Anyway, for me, the idea isn't to avoid paying subscription fees or
>beat the system, the idea is to get new content and maybe even setup my
>own server and try my hand at creating something.

The first expansion to The Saga Of Ryzom is all about players creating
their own content. The cynic in me says its just a cheap way for a
failing mmog to get new content. Doubt it will save the game.

>Obviously Blizzard won't be doing this any time soon, they are making
>too much money and have too much to do as it is. What about EQ2
>though? Or one of the smaller ones? Certainly seems like a better
>method to increase interest than that real-money auction nonsense.

Well since SOE just closed down a private EQL server. I don't think
there is much chance of an EQ2 one lasting long.

There are numerous Linage II private servers. That's one of the
biggest mmogs there is (but only if you live in Korea!)

>> You server will always be a hack that
>> violates their license and terms of service.
>
> Well, you see, the funny thing about the terms of service is that if you
> don't agree to them... they dont' really apply. Blizzard's recourse to
> you refusing to obey the terms of service is to terminate your account,
> and refuse to allow you to play on the real servers. Which you're not
> doing anyways.

Let me introduce to you a concept known as a "lawsuit":
http://www.eff.org/IP/Emulation/Blizzard_v_bnetd/

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (34) on Stormrage [PvE]

> Copyright is all about the ability to control intellectual property that you
> own, including distribution and usage of that property.

Incorrect, copyright addresses distribution, not usage. Licensing
addresses usage.

Regards,
Noal

--

> Davian wrote:
> > "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam> wrote in message
> >>
> >> With all due respect, UO <> WoW. And Blizzard, unlike Origin, is
> >> zealous about defending their intellectual property, as well as
> >> weeding out cheaters and hackers. In reference to your other reply,
> >> there is no question that a hacked server is copyright infringement,
> >> so don't even try to defend it on that basis. This is Blizzard's
> >> property, and they have every right to make sure they remain in
> >> complete control of it. The courts back them fully on this point.
> >
> > If'n ye say so, laddie. As I said before, I have no interest in
> > debating the legal specifics of the matter.
>
> Me neither, because this isn't a discussion - I'm right and you're wrong.

Well, you're half right.

I'll let you pretend you know which half.

--

"Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote in message

> "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam> wrote in message
>

> > With all due respect, UO <> WoW. And Blizzard, unlike Origin, is zealous
> > about defending their intellectual property, as well as weeding out
cheaters
> > and hackers. In reference to your other reply, there is no question that
> > hacked server is copyright infringement, so don't even try to defend it on
> > that basis. This is Blizzard's property, and they have every right to
make
> > sure they remain in complete control of it. The courts back them fully on
> > this point.
> >

> If'n ye say so, laddie. As I said before, I have no interest in debating
the
> legal specifics of the matter. I'll wait until the courts give a judgement
> on the legality of emulators. In the meantime, feel free to repeat whatever
> you want to believe until you're blue in the face.

Google "Winter's Roar" + EQ
Then come back here. =)

--
Simond
"I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your

This is a funny thread and the person that thinks they can pull this off
also better get ready for some serious prison time and huge fines.