Can Canon image file saving/naming conventions be adjusted?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 21, 2005 12:07:55 AM

This pertains to a Canon A400, but I suspect other Canons do the same
thing.

The camera numbers/names images something like IMG_0000, IMG_0001, etc.
I can adjust whether I want the counter set to 0000 every time the card
is emptied, or just continue from the last shot taken, and I pick the
second option.

Just noticed that the camera apparently stores the shots on the card in
blocks of 100 in separate folders. For example, shots IMG_0000 through
IMG_0099 are in a folder with a name like 0100, then shots starting with
IMG_0100 are in another folder on the card with a name like 0101 (I
think that's the methodology; I don't have the card handy right now - it
works something like that).

Is there a way to "force" the camera to store its images in just one
directory on the card? If I take a lot of pictures, it's a pain having
to download from multiple card directories (I do it manually using an SD
card reader).
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:07:56 AM

If you'd use the provided ZoomBrowser software, you'd not have to worry
about that. You can use that off of a card reader also.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:35:54 AM

TommyC wrote:
> This pertains to a Canon A400, but I suspect other Canons do the same
> thing.
>
> The camera numbers/names images something like IMG_0000, IMG_0001,
> etc. I can adjust whether I want the counter set to 0000 every time
> the card is emptied, or just continue from the last shot taken, and I
> pick the second option.
>
> Just noticed that the camera apparently stores the shots on the card
> in blocks of 100 in separate folders. For example, shots IMG_0000
> through IMG_0099 are in a folder with a name like 0100, then shots
> starting with IMG_0100 are in another folder on the card with a name
> like 0101 (I think that's the methodology; I don't have the card
> handy right now - it works something like that).
>
> Is there a way to "force" the camera to store its images in just one
> directory on the card? If I take a lot of pictures, it's a pain
> having to download from multiple card directories (I do it manually
> using an SD card reader).

There are some choices on the 20D. It may not be the same as for yours.
You may want to take a look at the instruction book. It is detailed in
mine.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 11:17:00 AM

"wavelength" <sbrisendine@gmail.com> writes:
>If you'd use the provided ZoomBrowser software, you'd not have to worry
>about that. You can use that off of a card reader also.

The freeware Breeze Downloader will also transfer images from Canon
cameras, either directly through a USB connection or using a card
reader. It has several choices for the directory structure it uses to
transfer the images into - it can do one directory per day (based on the
time in the EXIF header of each image) for example.

Dave
August 21, 2005 5:42:16 PM

The program "Downloader Pro" from
http://www.breezesys.com/Downloader/index.htm is very versatile for
downloading from camera or reader. Can be automated to run any other program
after downloading also.

"TommyC" <m@nope.qrs> wrote in message
> This pertains to a Canon A400, but I suspect other Canons do the same
> thing.
>
> The camera numbers/names images something like IMG_0000, IMG_0001, etc.
> I can adjust whether I want the counter set to 0000 every time the card
> is emptied, or just continue from the last shot taken, and I pick the
> second option.
>
> Just noticed that the camera apparently stores the shots on the card in
> blocks of 100 in separate folders. For example, shots IMG_0000 through
> IMG_0099 are in a folder with a name like 0100, then shots starting with
> IMG_0100 are in another folder on the card with a name like 0101 (I
> think that's the methodology; I don't have the card handy right now - it
> works something like that).
>
> Is there a way to "force" the camera to store its images in just one
> directory on the card? If I take a lot of pictures, it's a pain having
> to download from multiple card directories (I do it manually using an SD
> card reader).
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 8:07:39 PM

The answer to your question, namely can you force the camera to store > 100
pics per album is no, except when shooting stitch or movies. It won't stop
to create a new directory in those situations.
The camera doesn't seem to be fussy about reading from misnamed directory or
one containing more thatn 100 pics (created in a card reader), it just goes
ahead and creates a new correctly named directory for current picture number
if needed.

You might find this useful if by some mishap the camera resets file
numbering to 001 as I found out the hard way by doing a reset to default
after a card format. Just rename an image and folder in card reader and let
camera sort it out on next shot.
Dave Cohen

!