Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 home edition - cant see the event log?

Last response: in Windows 7
February 2, 2012 5:39:51 PM

hi,

I have a checkpoint VPN service to connect to the office but for some time now the service isn't starting...even after re installing... so I looked for the event log or the user & groups in the "Manage" option from "My Computer" but it's missing.... as if my user on the laptop (I have only one - me) is no longer the administrator.
can someone help me please?

regards,
Terry
a c 243 $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 5:47:54 PM

Try creating another admin user account and then log-in with it to see if the VPN service is working. You could have a corrupted user profile causing the problem with your account.
m
l
February 3, 2012 5:19:30 PM

10x for answering so quick...this didn't help.....any other ideas?
m
l
Related resources
a c 243 $ Windows 7
February 3, 2012 9:52:29 PM

Event viewer can be found in Control Panel/Administrative Tools. Are you saying it isn't there in either profile?

If so, you may need to run System File Checker. See below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
m
l
February 5, 2012 2:40:49 PM

Hi

I run it and windows didn't find any problems.... :( 
my problem is not the event log... but using the VPN... but as the service isn't starting I was looking to see the event log for any problem.....
any other ideas?
m
l
February 5, 2012 2:49:40 PM

I tried that -created a new admin user and trying using the VPN but the service also didn't start on the new profile.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2012 5:31:40 PM

Hi. It might be disabled. Go to Control panel/ Administrative tools/ services Find your vpn service and change its startup type to automatic.
m
l
February 5, 2012 5:41:34 PM

mibix19 said:
Hi. It might be disabled. Go to Control panel/ Administrative tools/ services Find your vpn service and change its startup type to automatic.

did that as well..... when it's starting and get stuck all other option - for restart/stop/start are disabled.
m
l
February 6, 2012 7:54:47 PM

Hi,

You mentioned the 3rd party service you use for VPN connection is Checkpoint which I’m assuming is this service here. You also mentioned that you reinstalled it and that did not fully resolve the issue. There are a few things you can try here:

1. Fully uninstall the application in question, restart and then proceed with a clean reinstall of the software.

2. If you have made any sort of hardware or software changes to the system recently, you might want to consider a system restore back to a date in which the application was functioning properly.

3. Consider testing the VPN connection with an alternate service in an effort to ensure the remote server is available. Windows 7 VPN is a great resource for both incoming and outgoing VPN connections. To accomplish the task of allowing incoming connections the TechNet article configuring incoming connections explains the steps one must take to allow the machine in question to accept connections from the Internet. You will also need to configure port forwarding for port 1723 for PPTP connections when setting up a VPN server. Please note, the VPN server configured to accept incoming connections as well as port forwarding must be within the office environment you wish to connect to remotely. Once the server and port forwarding have been configured you will then be able to configure the VPN client on the work system for which the instructions can be found here from the Microsoft Windows site. For your convenience, I have also outlined the steps for configuration below.

Following are the steps for configuring Incoming VPN Connection in Windows 7

• First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
• Click on Change adapter settings.
• Press Alt+F and select New Incoming connection
• Put a check on who you’d like to give access to this computer or you can configure a new account by clicking on Add someone, after that click on Next.
• Put a check mark on Through the Internet. Click on Next.
• Select the protocols you want to enable for this connection. Click on Allow access.
• Make a note of the Computer name, as this will be used by the client to connect to this computer and after that click on Close.

Following are the steps for configuring Outgoing VPN Connection in Windows 7

• First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
• Click on Set up a new connection or network.
• Select Connect to a workplace then click on Next.
• Select Use my Internet connection (VPN).
• Type the IP address or computer name where you wish to connect and your connection name under the Destination name field.
• Enter a User name and password that has been granted access to the host computer.
• For getting connected through created VPN connection, you can either right-click on the Network icon in the system tray and select Network and Sharing Center or go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center, and click on Connect to a network.
• Now connect VPN Connection windows will appears.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team
m
l
February 13, 2012 5:40:49 AM

First you need to access admin account. As you said that I tried to created a new admin user and trying using the VPN but the service also didn't start on the new profile.
In the mean while you should configure VPN Connection in new profile after that connect it to windows 7.
Setup VPN on windows 7 is not a difficult task, above this post has a easy VPN setup i hope it would helpful for you.
m
l
!