Will Steamroller Be On AM3+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Im not a fan of Intel's whole "Power Saving" features but maybe when the time comes, maybe.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Well, come to think of it what do you do with dead computer parts?
I would hate throwing my 8120 in the trash (assuming it's dead).

If they are truly dead, then what else are you going to do with it?

If it is "dead" because of new technology, then you can keep it around "just in case", or give it someone who can use it.

I had an old HTPC built around an Athlon XP 2600+ back in 2002 still in working order. I was trying to give it away for free from 2009 until last month. I ended throwing it away because I was moving and didn't want to bring it along with me.

I also have an old IBM ThinkPad T40 from 2003, but I'm keeping that. Nostalgia I suppose and it doesn't take up much room.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

By dead I mean not working.

I repurpose my old computer parts if possible. I have a desktop (really a workstation), a file/backup server, and an HTPC. The desktop is the newest and when it gets significantly upgraded, the old parts make their way into other machines. I try to save one machine's worth of MB/CPU/RAM as a backup in case something goes down, unless it is so old that it is really no longer usable. The excess unused stuff gets given away or thrown away. Most of it is thrown away as nobody really wants stuff like old single PIII and 2-ish GHz 32-bit P4 systems with the only expansion slots being 32-bit PCI slots. However I don't always get to pass on a bunch of parts as something usually dies and/or becomes woefully obsolete for what I am doing and I end up getting either new stuff or newer old stuff from eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.