Help! Graphics Card suddenly stopped working

xskyhero

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hello,

My system is nearing its 2 year mark, and a few hours ago the graphics card seemed to have crashed. This happened during a game, and the computer froze. Upon restarting, it displayed the boot screen, and the starting windows logo, but I got a black screen after it reached the login.

I've already tried to reseat the card. And I've also updated the drivers for the card. The card doesn't look burnt and the fans are running.

Following is the config:

GPU: GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
MOBO: ASUS M4A89GTD
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series 650W
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB

I'm currently switched over to the integrated graphics to post this. So are there any suggestions on what I could do, or is the card completely dead?

Thanks.

xskyhero

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hey, so I just tried the other PCIe slot on the mobo, but it doesn't seem to respond at all. There's no boot screen, or starting logo, the monitor doesn't receive a signal at all.

Maybe something that I should have mentioned, but in the BIOS, there's a setting to change from integrated to the GPU, and when I have it set on GPU, plugging the monitor into the motherboard gives no display, and vice versa when the setting is on integrated. However, with the other PCIe slot, I can plug the monitor back into the motherboard, with the setting on the GPU, and it works from there. Also, if I recall correctly, the motherboard's second PCIe slot is x8 (whatever that means) and the first one is x16. I believe the manual said to use that slot for single GPU's. Anyway, I dont know if this is anything important or what to make out of it.

Unfortunately, I don't have another computer to test the card out on, but luckily the warranty is 3 years.

fantastik250

Distinguished
If I am understanding correctly, is your card working in the other slot? Also did you put the bios to run the display on the x8 slot?

Your card won't max out the slot. If there was a performance difference it would be hardly noticeable, especially for you card. No need to worry about it. As Sunius suggested, go and send it in for repair.

xskyhero

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Ah, I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. The card does not seem to be working in the, however I can use the integrated GPU with the setting on the PCIe in the BIOS, whereas it doesn't work in the other slot. I read over what I wrote and it wasn't too great of an explanation, and frankly neither is this one, but I can't find the words to put it in so forgive me.

I didn't see an option to run the display in the x8 slot, it just said PCI or IGFX and a couple of other options that I dont remember. Sending it in is obviously going to a bit of a hassle, so I'll look for any other suggestions before doing so.

Thanks for your help.

xskyhero

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hi! Just wanted to say thank you so much, as the other display port miraculously brought the card back. You have saved me alot of trouble, so I cant thank you enough.

Although, it's funny how the solution was seemingly so simple. =\

Anyway thanks again.