Sign in with
Your question

Freezing Issues?

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2012 3:47:02 PM

Hey!

I've recently been having freezing issues while play games (specifically L.A. Noire). Sometimes it Freezes, Sometimes I get BSODs.. After I restart my computer, I can hear the HDDs speed up and then stop and than power on again and stop over and over. Its like its power cycling up and down and theres nothing on screen (no POST). I then power off the computer by unplugging the power cable and waiting a few minutes before plugging it back in.
I've tried Clear CMOS and Taking out the battery cus I've been getting checksum errors but that didnt help, it just fixed the checksum error..

Really quite horrified with it all cus this is pretty much a new computer (everything but the 160gb hdd is new)..

This is my spec:

OS
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30GHz

RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H61M-D2H-USB3 (Socket 1155)

Graphics
GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)

Hard Drives
149GB Western Digital WDC WD1600AAJS-00WAA0 ATA Device (SATA)
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 ATA Device (SATA)

Audio
ASUS Xonar D1 Audio Device

PSU
Antec High Current Gamer 620W

What could be the issue and how can I fix it WITHOUT having to send my components to the store?

Thanks for the help!

Edit:
I've got a friend who told me my voltage is running weird:
CPU CORE 1.056 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 2.232 V
+3.3V 2.940 V
+5V 4.859 V
+12V 8.928 V
-12V -4.656 V
-5V -6.096 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD 2.843 V
CMOS BATTERY 1.632 V

Is there something wrong with these values? (Im not very knowledgeable regarding voltage values in mobos)

More about : freezing issues

July 25, 2012 4:43:30 PM

I would start by running MemTest just to rule out memory.
Also, try removing the sound card, it could be causing the crashes, and putting the computer in an odd state.
Beyond that my suspicion is that it's a motherboard issue, but I'm not sure and don't have a sound reason why. Not sure of a good way to test it other than ruling out the rest of your parts.

Unfortunately your best bet for diagnosing the mobo maybe ruling everything else that you can out:

To rule out the hard drives, start by checkdisking each, ensure no bad sectors, etc. Then try running each drive alone (putting the OS on each and running them each as single drive.
If you have an old GPU handy, try swapping it out (be sure to uninstall drivers first) to rule it out as well.

I'm inclined to trust the CPU here, but you can use Prime95 to double check the CPU.
The PSU shouldn't be the problem, but if you've got your old PSU with enough output to run the machine, it would be worth trying.
m
l
!