Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need a New Gaming CPU

Last response: in CPUs
December 6, 2012 6:49:28 PM

Hello again Tom's Hardware Community!

I am looking at upgrading my cpu. I mostly use my pc for gaming. I have 2x 580GTX that I will be keeping. I currently have a core i7 950. I don't really keep up to date on the technology releases, and was wondering if there is something new coming that I should wait for or pick something up already on the market. I got burned last time, as sandybridge came out about a month after I bought the 950. Also, I was looking to get some opinions of Intel vs AMD. Is Intel still #1? Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

More about : gaming cpu

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 8:12:03 PM

When it comes to gaming and its Intel vs AMD, then Intel is the winner.
However I started to notice in multi-threaded apps the FX-8350 demolishes the i5's.
More specifically it was the FX-8350 and i5-3570k, 3570k wins in games for the most part and FX-8350 is better at multi-threaded apps such as video rendering.

Anyways your processor is not that bad at all, much better than my current processor...

Also since you claim on being not up to date on the technology releases, there is the Haswell processors coming up next year. I hope that makes the prices of the Ivy Bridge go down a bit at the very least and that will be a good time to upgrade if not in a rush. Nonetheless, I still believe your processor is a capable one.
December 6, 2012 9:19:18 PM

socialfox said:
When it comes to gaming and its Intel vs AMD, then Intel is the winner.
However I started to notice in multi-threaded apps the FX-8350 demolishes the i5's.
More specifically it was the FX-8350 and i5-3570k, 3570k wins in games for the most part and FX-8350 is better at multi-threaded apps such as video rendering.

Anyways your processor is not that bad at all, much better than my current processor...

Also since you claim on being not up to date on the technology releases, there is the Haswell processors coming up next year. I hope that makes the prices of the Ivy Bridge go down a bit at the very least and that will be a good time to upgrade if not in a rush. Nonetheless, I still believe your processor is a capable one.

Thanks for info. I was on the fence about wether to upgrade or try my first oc. Maybe I'll give the oc a try... But it's a little bit scary.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 9:24:35 PM

gghilliard said:
Thanks for info. I was on the fence about wether to upgrade or try my first oc. Maybe I'll give the oc a try... But it's a little bit scary.

Well make sure you have a good aftermarket cooler and adjust the CPU voltage in very small increments.
December 7, 2012 10:18:17 AM

Best answer selected by gghilliard.
!