New build won't boot!

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hi,

I just finished my first PC build last night, followed instructions step by step and when I tried it today it won't boot :(
I consulted the "Perform these steps" article and did find quite a few silly errors such as not having inserted the ATX12V and the graphics card power supply. However after this I have still had no luck.

My specs are as follows :

CPU: Intel core i5 3570k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Motherboard: Asrock z77 extreme 4
PSU: XFX P1-550S-XXB9 PRO550W Core Edition
GPU: Sapphire HD7850 2GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz
SSD: Crucial 128GB M4
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm
Case: Asgard Arc midi

Note: the HDD is in the bay but not connected as I don't have the spare SATA3 at the moment.

I'm quite sure I connected the System Panel Header correctly although my cables for power and reset didn't specify which side was +/-. Does it matter?
I don't have a clue what else could be wrong, I just noticed an adapter for connecting the PSU to the Z77's power fan connector which I tried connecting, but still to no avail. Can anyone suggest anything I might be missing out on?

Looking forward to any advice anyone can give.

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Sorry for the ambiguity, I meant to say that nothing happens at all when I push the power button after ensuring it is plugged in correctly and the switch at the back of the PSU is in the on position. So yeah, nothing happens, not even a beep or fan.

Shockattackr

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
then you didnt put the pins in correctly, the way to test itm is to find the Control panel take out the pins that a flat tip screwdriver to the 2 pins on the bottom right (might have to move the screwdriver across the contacts), if it works and powers on its not PSU if it doesnt, you have a problem with the Power supply, recheck all wires and make sure you line the ends up correctly

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Thanks again for your reply. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean with the screwdriver. Could you explain?

Edit: I should note. I am in the UK yet my power supply's plug is for a European socket (2 prong) which I wasn't aware of until I received it via delivery. I didn't think this would be a problem however as it is 100-240V, so it should be fine with just the 2 to 3 prong adapter which I've put it in, right?

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
odd.. either the board is dead or the power supply is dead. are you using an old case? case power buttons are rarely defective, you can switch it with the reset i/o connector and use the reset button as the power button (to troubleshoot the power button button). Do you have a backup PSU to test if the board or the PSU is the problem?

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Everything I'm using is brand new.
During setup I did accidentally dropped the screwdriver on the motherboard a few times, but it didn't hit it hard, leave any marks or hit any vital parts as far as I could see, could something like that cause the motherboard to 'die'?. I don't have a backup PSU unfortunately, this has been my first build.
Is it safe to try using the power/reset switches on the motherboard? I'm not sure how these operate and it doesn't really say in the manual (as though you're expected to just know).

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
yes you can interchange the power and reset i/o switch connectors and use them like so (reset button as the power button and vice versa). screws are too light to cause damage.. that happens to me a lot but my hardware is working fine. if you knocked a transistor off the board then that's bad.

Don't worry about the cables whether its the 24-pin power connector or the 2x4-pin motherboard connector. they are made in a way that you cannot plug them wrongly unless you forced them. They cannot be interchanged either since all sockets are unique.

okay, you need to narrow down possible dead hardware. remove the HDD, SSD, videocard, and cpu cooler. Just run the board with a stick of ram, processor with the stock cooler and PSU. You should be able to get to the board's bios. If you did get to the bios then you board, processor, PSU and RAM is fine. You can slowly add the other stuff.

edit:

ohh you mean the screwdriver.. that's heavy.. it can cause serious damages particularly if it hits a transistor.

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
It was a fairly light screwdriver and I didn't see it damage/hit anything major.
Just to reiterate when I hit the power button; nothing happens, the psu doesn't start up. If the SSD, videocard or cooler were not functioning, would that actually stop the psu from starting?

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
oh man, I wish it were something as simple as that right now. There is no voltage switch on my psu. I do have a feeling it is something to do with the power supply however...

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
no, the SSD, videocard or cooler wouldn't unless the PSU was underrated or defective. Have you tried changing or troubleshooting the PSU power cable? the AVR or socket where you plugged the unit?

You can troubleshoot the PSU alone if you want to test if it does have power. All you need is a paper clip. You can also attach a case fan in one of the 4-pin molex connectors. I've seen my friend do this already. It does work as a troubleshooter.

http://pcpowerzone.com/posutr.html

http://ftduarte.blogspot.com/2011/09/troubleshooting-problematic-psumobo.html

just remember to remove everything plugged to the PSU. Still, i wouldn't recommend this, better contact your dealer about your hardware.

lstriker

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

The writing on the ends of the cables face downward and the cables plug in horizontally if the computer were standing upright. You probably plugged them in wrong. I have the same board, refer to the book that came with it. It's simple to do, but can be messed up easily too.

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Just tried a different power cable - no luck.

I think I have them in correctly; 1st row should be PLED (colour/+), PLED (colour/-), PWR (colour on left side) 2nd row HDLED (colour on left side), RESET (colour on right side). Do you know if yours is the same?

Thanks for all replies so far, it's appreciated. Oh and I'm determined not to start taking things out again just yet, at least until I can determine that I have everything plugged in correctly. What about fan connectors, if any of those were misplaced would it stop the psu from booting?

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
fan connectors cannot short the board, you can't plug it wrongly either because the headers are made in a way that it can only be plugged correctly. still, there should be a led light somewhere in the board that will turn on if the board has power even if the unit is not turned on yet. I dunno about asrock boards but my asus board has one same with my old H61 intel board. They both have a green LED bulb somewhere that indicates power.

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Shockattackr, do you mean the psu should turn on even if not connected properly? And what do you mean by 'temp short out the 2 wires'?

lstriker

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

I can't remember and I can't see mine right now, but there is a picture in the book and I don't think the ASrock z77 Extreme4 has an LED light like najirion says, not 100% sure though. Try switching the power button over so the color (green) is on the right side.

Dimedude

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Update: Ok, just tried the paperclip test, the psu works. What should I do next?

Sorry for the double post, I'm not allowed to edit for some reason.

Shockattackr

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
start plugging different things into the power supply connectors ie Fans Hard Drives, and continue using the paper clip method repeat. and keep us posted also try taking the mother board out of the case put it on a table preferabbly wood, and bare bone test it

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
the paper clip test should be enough to conclude the PSU is fine. next is the board.. do the simplest build just enough to run the bios. motherboard + ram + processor + psu... you should get to the bios. if not.. the motherboard is indeed the problem.
He cant do what you said shockattakr, remember he needs the 24-pin power connector to power the motherboard which is the heart of the system.

the only addition you can add to the test is to plug something in the 4-pin molex connector like a case fan.

Shockattackr

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
well if he can get the connectors in and it powers on, its probs a standoff in the wrong spot, but he can still test every other device (minus the Video card) with just the PSU

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
im off. goodluck dimedude. you can try this step-by-step installation typical builders do.

> attach processor, cooler and ram to the board
> install board to the case
> plug 24-pin and 2x4pin power connectors to the board
> install case i/o connectors (power switch, reset switch, usb 2.0 headers, audio headers and so on)
(you can run the system right here just to check if you can reach bios)

> install HDD and SSD
> install operating system
> run computer, install drivers and so on
> turn if off and install graphics card (and pcie power connectors if needed)
> install graphics card drivers and so on
> install remaining accessories (case fans, leds, and so on)