HIS 6850 Blue/White/Blank-Screen Restart

2danny9

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hello Tom's Hardware members!

I bought a HIS HD 6850 IceQ X Turbo 1GB GDDR5 and I hope you lovely people could aid me with a problem I'm having.

There are periods in which I can play games on high, Like Sniper Elite V2, my old favourite HL 2 etc.
These ran good, no problems. I was happy!

However, when on the desktop browsing or browsing steam for example. I get random:

*Blank screen where the system restarts after a couple of seconds.
*Blue vertical lines - I reboot this when this happens
*White vertical lines - I reboot this when this happens
*Sometimes, but not all - I get the BLUE SCREEN with Error 2057.

*******All above happen when I seem to browse the web/ along with steam i.e. when it’s not working its back off. Such as playing a game; it has not crashed on me yet.********

--Please note I have not touched my system in any way, I not touched any software/hardware configurations.--

Temperatures are all good, both CPU and GPU stay below 40 on idle and about 50/55.

Specs:

Asus M5A78L-M LX (I upgraded BIOS to 801, after all the problems I pushed it to 901 but same thing)
AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.3 --but upgraded to: AMD 960T Black Edition 3.0GHz (Stock configs + Freezer Pro 7 rev 2 cooler and Artic paste)
HIS HD 6850 IceQ X Turbo 1GB GDDR5
1x Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory Module Non-ECC CL9 1.5V - I added one more so 2 x Kingstons
Powercool 550W 80plus Certified Efficienty PSU - Manufacture ID PSUPC550AUBA
HANNS-G HH221DP
Seagate 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Barracuda Hard Drive 7200RPM

All above are on their stock settings - nothing has been.

I did have a PNY GT430 - and never experienced these problems, perfectly stable etc. but I wanted to play a game with some better graphics etc (now I wish I hand't bothered).

I dead memory test and it came back clean.

I don't really want to buy another PSU and for the same problem to persist, but I guess I really can buy a certified PSU from the AMD cert list. I don't want to spend no more than £45, £55 at the most.

I installed 12.4, 12.1 drivers from HIS and problems persisted. I stalled the drivers from AMD 12.4 and problems persisted. I have not installed the drivers that came with the CD which is driver version 8.911.0.0. All were done with uninstalling drivers and using CCleaner + glary utilities and doing it from safe mode too.

I thought maybe it is the 6 pin PCIE pwoer cable, so it replaced with the 2nd (THE PSU has 2 x 6 PIN PCIE) BUT SAME THING!.

This is all I can think off. If you guys and girls require any more information I will instantly reply as I'm not going to be away from this PC. These appear randomly, I mean once it happened after 4/5 in a row within a couple of minutes of me logging in.
Other times it goes for a few hours without problems such as me doing my thing then my sister (family shared PC) doing her own thing. Then I came on this morning after 10mins?? It gives me the 'White vertical lines thing'.

Thanks everyone!

Kind regards,

Daniel

PS - I thought it may have been the weight pushing down so I got a little thing just sttop it pushing downwards. I also have check 5+ times to make sure it is correctly mounted.

My case takes ATX PSUs, are all PSUs the same?

2danny9

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Forgot about this: Every component is atleast 5 months old or less. I always took care remove the power, grounding myself etc. so thanks everyone once more for the help!

edit: I bought the HIS 3 days ago from ebuyer.

Hello

It sounds to me like a problem with the cards idle power state as it doesn't happen under load.

I would still try the following, just to try and rule out the obvious.

Different monitor
Different mionitor cable
Are you able to test the card in another PC?

2danny9

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

Not on another PC, I'm using a DVI cable, I can use the adapter to DVI to VGA and use my VGA cable I guess. Are you suggesting when I get those vertical lines etc. that I plugged it into a different monitor omgzitzfatal?

With another PC, no unfortunately. Only this PC.

Thanks for the reply!

No not when you get the issue, what I mean is if you shut down the PC, unplug the current monitor cable and replace it with another.

If you have another monitor or TV you could try aswell

None of your friends or family members have a PC you could test your card in?

2danny9

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

I guess I could try asking them. Right now the PC has been on for 45 mins idle and its OK! I'm replying from my laptop :(

2danny9

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hey again,

My PSU 6 pin power plug has 6 pins and wires in all, the molex to 6 pin adapter has only 5 pins the top middle pin is empty.
so like this:

* * instead of ***

Does that mean anything, sadly my friends and other family has those budget PCs and their power supply won't be enough. I don't have any PC build type friends and worried damaging their PCs too so... :(

Do you have any other ideas guys and girls? I decided to install the drivers that came along with the disk and remove one of the two RAM modules and wait for the same to happen so I can switch them round.

These issues are just completely random!

Thanks again1

2danny9

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

Do you think pwoer supply wise is enough? I used those power calculator and everything reaches to about 500 W.

I decided to give the CD drivers ago. I think it is a 11.11? So far I have rebooted and it has stayed on and no issues, but do you think these issues may relate to power wise?

Just as I was about to press reply to my answer above -

My went blank and rebooted on me, saying windows recovered from a error. I'm going to a windows scan for files and install the 12.3 and update HERE wiith the results.

bELOW is the link for the PSU. Its a cheap 35/40 pound thing.

http://www.ebuyer.com/160349-powercool-550w-80plus-certified-efficienty-psu-1x-pci-e-4x-sata-psupc550auba

Well as the issue happens when your doing jack all I wouldn't have thought it would be power related but having a look at the PSU spec's makes for a depressing read.

The +12V rails can only output 324W maximum and that's assuming it can max out both +12V rails at the same time which is unlikely.

Do you ever get a bluescreen code 0x116?

2danny9

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

The only windows blue screen has been local ID 2057. I check the certified PSU list and

http://www.ebuyer.com/200489-coolermaster-gx-550w-psu-rs-550-acaae3-uk

this seems to be the only on the list that I can see that is between the budget - the cert list: http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU

Any recommandations on what PSU thats a bit cheaper than the one above, not so much power, I don't plan to do anymore with this system? I'll give it a go, any other crash with a new PSU and I'm going to RMA it and for ask refund.

Windows did the scan disk and reported no errors. Do you want me to upload the blue screen of death errors? Not sure how to do this, I want to look for that 0x116 code.

2danny9

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

Yes I have, I had!!!!!!!!!!

From bottom to up:

0x00000124
0x00000124
0x00000116
0x00000116
0x00000124
0x00000024

Do you want the dump files!?!?!?!

Usually 0x116 is related to power, and in my experience to a loose cable somewhere, if I were you I'd check all the cables in your PC (24 pin, EPS 4/8Pin, PCI-E, Molex, Sata ETC..)

It could just be that the PSU you have can't supply enough power.

0x124 usually pops up due to not enough voltage when overclocking a CPU, do you have everything at stock?
Did you configure your RAM's settings in the BIOS?

Get the same PSU cheaper here: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies+-+PSUs/Non-Modular+650W+or+less/550W+Cooler+Master+GX+80PLUS+Bronze+Power+Supply+?productId=47891

The dump files would be great, thanks.

2danny9

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Is that PSU good enough?

Yes everything is at stock clock, I have not touched anything.

I'm trying to find the attach button but I only see, attach link, image, email?

Sorry for asking something stupid but where do I attach my ZIP folder of the dumps?

Yup that PSU is good enough, miles better than the one you have now

Just upload the file to an file hosting website and then post the link

2danny9

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

doing that now, do you recommend any other PSU? I choose this simply because its on AMD certified PSU list.

I had a look through the other cheaper PSU's and the GX is really the cheapest PSU I'd recommend that's suitable for your PC.

2danny9

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

Many thanks, how did you calculate that my PSU only could ouput 324W max?

Many thanks again for helping omgitzfatal!

Well almost all of your PC components will take their power from the +12V rails, your PSU has two, combined amperage of both rails is 27A x 12 = 324W, but that's assuming your PSU has enough wattage dedicated to the +12V rails to max both at the same time, Most PSU's cannot do this, so I would imagine its even less than 324W, Hope that helps.

2danny9

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

GX 550W PSU can supply up to how much? I add up the outputs and x them by 12?

Then you other factors like quality etc.

Is that correct?

Well what you want to look for is the wattage dedicated to the +12V rail(s), so the GX 550W has a single 12V rail and it can output upto 528W on that rail (or 44A) which is plenty.

And yes quality is important, many generic PSU's will claim to be a certain wattage but the wattage quoted will be peak wattage rather than continuous, bad quality units may also have bad "ripple" which means the voltage can fluctuate which could cause damage to other components and instability.

2danny9

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

SO MANY THANK YOUS FOR THE HELP. I can only receive the PSU on Thursday. :(

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Ok I see that no one has apointed the problem yet. I read a couple times problems like this.

The problem is that the card has too low default voltages/clock speeds. Why this happen? well while you are web browsing just because its such a light process the GPU tends to be at "idle" and its clocks speeds/voltages tends to go too low its not enough to supply the GPU needs, its a common error in AMD Radeon cards. You have to change the minimum clocks a little higher and the voltages settings at "performance" in the catalyst panel.

EDIT: Here is a solution well explained, all the credit goes the "best answer" in this threat..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276896-33-radeon-5750-display-driver-stopped-responding

Try to do this before getting a new PSU, because 550w certified PSU is kinda enough for your system i really doubt that it is the problem.