How to Control 3 pin fan using 2 pin connector- powercolor 5770

thre3aces

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hi everyone.

I managed to get a 1 year old powercolor 5770 off my mate for £40 last year which I thought was a very good deal. But after having it for a year I got very annoyed at the ridiculous amount of noise the fan made.

So after telling myself to replace the fan and heatsink for over 1 year I finally bought an Arctic Cooling L2 to be fitted to the graphics card.

The installation was fine except the graphics card's original fan had a 2 pin connector whereas the Arctic Cooling one has a 3 pin connector. Thankfully there was an adaptor for it to be plugged into a molex but it meant the speed had to stay on either full or half. Half speed is fine when playing LOL but for other tasks it may overheat. But having it on full all the time is rather noisy...still MUCH quieter than the old fan but still noisy.

Are there any adaptors that I can get so that the fan is powered by a molex like it currently is but then also connect it to the 2 pin connector of the graphics carrd so I can control the speed.

Thanks

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Fans can't be controlled by software with a 2 pin connector. If you have a fan controller, you can plug it in there and it will undervolt it causing it to become slower. Other than that, even if you were able to find the adaptor, it would not be able to be controlled through the OS. Suggestions? Well, other than having a pointless fan controller and cables going everywhere, I can't think of anything else.

thre3aces

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

See the thing is i have done that. I bought an akasa fan speed controller but they only take standard case fan 3 pin and not gpu 3 pin

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Well fan controllers undervolt the fan to control speed, so the fact that you did it is not surprising. As for his/her situation, buying a fan controller and modifying the pins would be a solution.

thre3aces

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

any guides on how to do so?