Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

[Help] Graphics Card Compatibility

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Compatibility
  • Dell
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 2, 2012 10:36:52 AM

I am looking to get a new graphics card. I have one issue though. My computer is a Dell Vostro 260 Slim which has the Dell 0GDG8Y motherboard. I am wondering if it is compatible with this graphics card:
http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=608... (AFOX GT440 750M/1066M 4GB/DVI/HDMI/VGA)(Current Graphics Card is Intel HD Family)

I need to know this before I go ahead with the purchase. Any help is appreciated and feel free to correct if I have said something wrong (I am only here to learn)

Cheers
bs8814

More about : graphics card compatibility

a c 126 U Graphics card
June 2, 2012 10:52:50 AM

Hi

The grpahics card should physically fit in your PC, my concern is the PSU in your PC is only 250W, nVidia recommend a minimum 300W PSU for that card, it may well work but I personally wouldn't risk it.

On a seperate note that card has 4GB of VRAM which is completely overkill, the card isn't strong enough to run games at settings/resolutions that would take advantage of its 4GB of VRAM... pointless.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2012 11:29:54 AM

bs8814 said:
I am looking to get a new graphics card. I have one issue though. My computer is a Dell Vostro 260 Slim which has the Dell 0GDG8Y motherboard. I am wondering if it is compatible with this graphics card:
http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=608... (AFOX GT440 750M/1066M 4GB/DVI/HDMI/VGA)(Current Graphics Card is Intel HD Family)

I need to know this before I go ahead with the purchase. Any help is appreciated and feel free to correct if I have said something wrong (I am only here to learn)

Cheers
bs8814

Your case if 4" wide while the graphics card you choose does not appear to be a low profile one. What is your intention for upgrading the graphics card? If for gaming what is your monitor resolution & the games you are playing or plan to play?
m
0
l
June 2, 2012 12:07:55 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Hi

The grpahics card should physically fit in your PC, my concern is the PSU in your PC is only 250W, nVidia recommend a minimum 300W PSU for that card, it may well work but I personally wouldn't risk it.

On a seperate note that card has 4GB of VRAM which is completely overkill, the card isn't strong enough to run games at settings/resolutions that would take advantage of its 4GB of VRAM... pointless.

Ok. What about this http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=608...
Also if you have any personal recommendations for this computer it would be great.
m
0
l
June 2, 2012 12:17:37 PM

randomkid said:
Your case if 4" wide while the graphics card you choose does not appear to be a low profile one. What is your intention for upgrading the graphics card? If for gaming what is your monitor resolution & the games you are playing or plan to play?

Hi
It is for gaming and I am planning to play games that have the same requirements of games like Skyrim and GTA IV. 1280x1024 is my monitors max resolution. Any recommendations would be great but I need a graphics card under 100 dollars
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2012 2:30:26 PM

bs8814 said:
Hi
It is for gaming and I am planning to play games that have the same requirements of games like Skyrim and GTA IV. 1280x1024 is my monitors max resolution. Any recommendations would be great but I need a graphics card under 100 dollars

It would be a big challenge to make a recommendation because your PC Case is slim & will not accommodate full size graphics cards which can deliver better performance for you. In addition, the power supply has very limited capacity & will not be enough to feed an additional graphics card. In short, your PC does not have gaming in its upgrade road map.

Without changing anything else in your slim PC, you can use this: http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=608....
It will work & will be a boost to your current integrated graphics but you may have to lower some settings in the game.
Share
June 2, 2012 2:53:21 PM

randomkid said:
It would be a big challenge to make a recommendation because your PC Case is slim & will not accommodate full size graphics cards which can deliver better performance for you. In addition, the power supply has very limited capacity & will not be enough to feed an additional graphics card. In short, your PC does not have gaming in its upgrade road map.

Without changing anything else in your slim PC, you can use this: http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=608....
It will work & will be a boost to your current integrated graphics but you may have to lower some settings in the game.

Ok, I will buy that one. I don't mind lower settings just not minimum settings (which I am having to use now). Thanks for your help.
Cheers
bs8814
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2012 3:07:33 PM

Welcome & good luck!
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 12:05:13 AM

Best answer selected by bs8814.
m
0
l
!