Sign in with
Your question

Question about three monitors, Eyefinity and graphics cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 2, 2012 11:11:00 AM

My current graphics card (Radeon 5770) has a limit of only two active displays at any one time, but i would like to be able to have both my two monitors and my TV connected to my PC at once.

I've looked a bit around, but i'm not sure i have the correct answer yet - hopefully the Tech Wizards here at Tom's can settle it for me!

The requirement as stated is that the card needs to support 3 monitors at once. From what i can read you need Eyefinity to do that, but as one of the monitors is a TV, i don't want to have all three monitors set up as one big group (with a movie/game extended across all three). Is it possible to have all three monitors active, without this?

I'm hoping you can recommend a card that supports the above. Here is form from the sticky with the rest of the details you might need:

PRICE RANGE: I'm hoping i can get one for 250-ish$

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (Games such as Max Payne 3) and watching movies, also the thing with the three monitors :) 

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Radeon HD 5770 and a 650W PSU, it's by Energon and i think it's called EPS-650W.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel I5, ASrock H55M motherboard (notice it only has PCIe 2,0) 8GB corsairs 1066mhz RAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I'm from Denmark, so not sure that is relevant - anything goes

PARTS PREFERENCES: I've been very happy with Radeon, so i don't see a reason to switch, unless i have to.

OVERCLOCKING: No / Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2 times1920x1080 and a 42" LED from LG

Thanks allot for any answers!
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 11:22:45 AM

You do not need a new graphics card to support 3 monitors. The 5770 can do it but it needs an active display port adaptor. Something like this:
http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_Accessories_f...
The above is just an example. Please give us the exact brand & model of your 5770 & that of the monitors & tv so we can recommend what active adaptors you need & how to connect them.
June 2, 2012 12:46:07 PM

Ohh, if that is possible that would be excellent!

The card is an ATI Radeon HD 5770, I'm not sure if you need anything more specific than that?

The monitors are two BenQ G2420HD (both connected through DVI at the moment), and the TV is an LG 42LV450N (Connected though HDMI)

I hope that is enough information!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 1:21:24 PM

As randomkid said, "you will need an active display port adapter." Connect one of your monitors via the dp/dvi active adapter and the display port on your gpu, connect the other monitor directly to the 1st dvi port on your gpu, then finally connect your tv to your last dvi port, make sure your tv is enabled to recieve a dvi signal. You can get dp/hdmi active adapters, but I have heard of some folk having problems getting them to configure correctly. A list of approved adapters can be found here.
http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-don...
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 1:28:00 PM

For Eyefinity to Work, the third monitor must support Displayport, or you can use and Active Displayport to HDMI/DVI.

All monitors must support the same resolution, if the 42" is 1080P too so there's no problem.

If your card has a Mini Displayport or a Displayport you should be able to use Eyefinity.

But I'm not sure if you'll be able to use the 3 monitors with that resolution, according to the following chart the HD 5700 able to drive 3 monitors @ 1680 * 1050 max;
http://postimage.org/image/ebrmv9q2j/

Now let's get to the important part, you need to play games @ your Eyefinity setup so in order to play games @ high settings you must have a very high end GPU to get playable FPS such as HD 7970 or GTX 680.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 2:10:24 PM

Kasbark said:
Ohh, if that is possible that would be excellent!
The card is an ATI Radeon HD 5770, I'm not sure if you need anything more specific than that?

I mean the brand such as Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or HIS. Example: MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770
The reason is because the port configuration on the graphics card can differ depending on the manufacturer.

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 2:13:42 PM

ilysaml said:
For Eyefinity to Work, the third monitor must support Displayport, or you can use and Active Displayport to HDMI/DVI.

All monitors must support the same resolution, if the 42" is 1080P too so there's no problem.

If your card has a Mini Displayport or a Displayport you should be able to use Eyefinity.

But I'm not sure if you'll be able to use the 3 monitors with that resolution, according to the following chart the HD 5700 able to drive 3 monitors @ 1680 * 1050 max;
http://postimage.org/image/ebrmv9q2j/

Now let's get to the important part, you need to play games @ your Eyefinity setup so in order to play games @ high settings you must have a very high end GPU to get playable FPS such as HD 7970 or GTX 680.

He did say in his first post that he do not want it in Eyefinity. He just want three displays.

Kasbark said:
My current graphics card (Radeon 5770) has a limit of only two active displays at any one time, but i would like to be able to have both my two monitors and my TV connected to my PC at once.
The requirement as stated is that the card needs to support 3 monitors at once. From what i can read you need Eyefinity to do that, but as one of the monitors is a TV, i don't want to have all three monitors set up as one big group (with a movie/game extended across all three). Is it possible to have all three monitors active, without this?
!
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 2:32:52 PM

I just read the title and requirement of connecting 3 monitors which is Eyefinity.

So the last 2 lines in my first post are excluded.
June 2, 2012 2:48:02 PM

Hmm, if i look in dxdiag, it says the manufacturer is AMD. I've tried to remove the card from my machine to look at it, but it only says 'ATI Radeon Hd 5770 on it'.

It has two DVI ports, one HDMI and one Display port.

I hope that's enough info to go on! Thanks for all the effort put into answering my question so far :) 
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 3:05:48 PM

Kasbark said:
Hmm, if i look in dxdiag, it says the manufacturer is AMD. I've tried to remove the card from my machine to look at it, but it only says 'ATI Radeon Hd 5770 on it'.

It has two DVI ports, one HDMI and one Display port.

I hope that's enough info to go on! Thanks for all the effort put into answering my question so far :) 

Okay, we can move on. You can have this kind of connection:
Graphics Card DVI Port 1 (Top) -> DVI Monitor 1
Graphics Card DVI Port 2 (Bot) - Not Used
Graphics Card DP ( check if your display port is normal of mini ) -> Active Display Port Adapter -> DVI Cable -> DVI Monitor 2
Graphics Card HDMI -> HDMI TV.

Hope this help.

June 2, 2012 4:00:51 PM

Thanks for the answers! I've ordered the suggested adapter :) 
!