  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 26, 2005 11:58:53 AM

Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time
to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built
and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see
if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account,
but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt
along with her to help her along.

My question is this:

Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into
it?

I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone
has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.

Thanks

More about : question wives wow

June 26, 2005 1:35:18 PM

"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time to
> try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and still
> have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built and
> running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see if she
> likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account, but I
> think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt along with
> her to help her along.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
> win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into it?
>
> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone has
> any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>
> Thanks

AFAIK most women I've seen playing prefer the casting classes, particularly mage
and priest. Tanking just doesn't seem to appeal to them.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 26, 2005 2:18:27 PM

My girlfriend oringally played a priestess because she though healing would
be easy (lolz) then found out later it's a bit too complicated for her. She
then went to a hunter and had great success, it was easier since she had a
pet to tank for her and she could use range. Shes about 45 now so it at
least got her into the game and taugher how things work. She actually made
every class she only cared for Hunter and Druid, said they were easy for
her. I'd still say hunter because you know how women are with cute
animals.....

"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time
> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built
> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and
> see if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my
> account, but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started
> an alt along with her to help her along.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days
> to win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her
> into it?
>
> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone
> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>
> Thanks

Related resources
June 26, 2005 7:48:13 PM

Lol......you're lucky.......my wife hates the game and has hinted at
divorce if I don't cut down the hours!!!!
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:18:27 -0400, "Jesse Roos" <rooster5@ptd.net>
wrote:

>My girlfriend oringally played a priestess because she though healing would
>be easy (lolz) then found out later it's a bit too complicated for her. She
>then went to a hunter and had great success, it was easier since she had a
>pet to tank for her and she could use range. Shes about 45 now so it at
>least got her into the game and taugher how things work. She actually made
>every class she only cared for Hunter and Druid, said they were easy for
>her. I'd still say hunter because you know how women are with cute
>animals.....
>
>"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
>> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
>> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time
>> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
>> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built
>> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and
>> see if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my
>> account, but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started
>> an alt along with her to help her along.
>>
>> My question is this:
>>
>> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
>> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days
>> to win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her
>> into it?
>>
>> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone
>> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>>
>> Thanks

June 26, 2005 7:48:14 PM

"Andy" <andy.knight6@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Lol......you're lucky.......my wife hates the game and has hinted at
> divorce if I don't cut down the hours!!!!

Ouch, you must be playing alot ;p

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:18:27 -0400, "Jesse Roos" <rooster5@ptd.net>
> wrote:
>
>>My girlfriend oringally played a priestess because she though healing
>>would
>>be easy (lolz) then found out later it's a bit too complicated for her.
>>She
>>then went to a hunter and had great success, it was easier since she had a
>>pet to tank for her and she could use range. Shes about 45 now so it at
>>least got her into the game and taugher how things work. She actually made
>>every class she only cared for Hunter and Druid, said they were easy for
>>her. I'd still say hunter because you know how women are with cute
>>animals.....
>>
>>"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
>>> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has
>>> been
>>> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good
>>> time
>>> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
>>> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer
>>> built
>>> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and
>>> see if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my
>>> account, but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I
>>> started
>>> an alt along with her to help her along.
>>>
>>> My question is this:
>>>
>>> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video
>>> games?
>>> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days
>>> to win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her
>>> into it?
>>>
>>> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if
>>> anyone
>>> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 26, 2005 7:48:15 PM

Don't let the door hit ya... :p

"Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p _mdnSLjNOmbSiPfRVn-rQ@wideopenwest.com...

> "Andy" <andy.knight6@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Lol......you're lucky.......my wife hates the game and has hinted at
>> divorce if I don't cut down the hours!!!!
>

> Ouch, you must be playing alot ;p
>

>> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:18:27 -0400, "Jesse Roos" <rooster5@ptd.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>My girlfriend oringally played a priestess because she though healing
>>>would
>>>be easy (lolz) then found out later it's a bit too complicated for her.
>>>She
>>>then went to a hunter and had great success, it was easier since she had
>>>pet to tank for her and she could use range. Shes about 45 now so it at
>>>least got her into the game and taugher how things work. She actually
>>>made
>>>every class she only cared for Hunter and Druid, said they were easy for
>>>her. I'd still say hunter because you know how women are with cute
>>>animals.....
>>>
>>>"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 26, 2005 11:46:53 PM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:58:53 -0500, gerbilsWITHrifles said:

> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time
> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built
> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see
> if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account,
> but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt
> along with her to help her along.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
> win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into
> it?
>
> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone
> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>
> Thanks

I'd say druid - tell her she can play as a cat, no... tell her she can play
as a panther and a cheeta.

If that doesn't work tell her she gets to cast the "Pink Paw" buff.

Lol @ Pink Paw - still cracks me up :)
June 27, 2005 2:55:43 AM

gerbilsWITHrifles wrote:
> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time
> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built
> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see
> if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account,
> but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt
> along with her to help her along.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
> win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into
> it?
>
> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone
> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.

Set up the machine for her. Do the game install yourself and have it all
ready to go the first time she sits down to try it, so she doesn't have
to sit through the whole tiresome, lengthy patching process.

Be in the same room with her the first time she logs on, and available
to help, but don't help unless she asks for it. When she does ask,
answer her question completely, but don't tell her more than she wants
to know. That way, you let her figure out what she wants to figure out.

Tell her about Normal, RP, and PVP servers, but not until it's time to
pick a server, because before that the concept will be meaningless. What
most new players need to know is this: on RP servers, people expect you
to play your character the way an actor plays a character in a play. On
PVP servers, after level 20, enemy players will attack and kill you
whether you like it or not (but you can do the same to them). She should
pick the kind of server that suits how she wants to play.

Don't try to influence her choice of character class or race. If she
asks, tell her what you know about each of them. Tell her why you like
the ones you like; don't try to tell her she should like them.

When she picks something that looks interesting to her, ask her if she
wants you to create a new character to level up with her. If she
doesn't, then she wants to get to know the game herself. Leave her
alone, but be available to answer questions if she has them

If she does want you to level up with her, ask her what race and class
she would like you to play. It's not only fun for someone to try out a
character, it's also fun to see someone else play something different.

Let her drive. That way she'll find the things she likes. But tell her
your opinion and what you know when she asks.

This is the approach I have used with half a dozen friends and family,
and they are all hopelessly addicted now. :-)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 27, 2005 3:01:38 AM

gerbilsWITHrifles wrote:
> My question is this:
>
> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
> win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into
> it?

My wife has actually been a gamer for as long as I have, but WoW is her
first MMOG, and only the second time she's ever really felt she had
much choice when creating her characters.

Her favorites are Human Paladin (Alliance) and Tauren Druid (Horde).

She likes the paladin because she can wear any armor, use stong
weapons, and heal when she needs to. I think paladin's a really good
starter class for the same reasons.

She rolled a Night Elf druid at first, but even though she liked the
druid's shape-shifting and healing abilities, she got bored with the
Night Elf quests. (I think the human starting quests are more fun than
the Elf quests, too.) However, she's really digging the Tauren druid
now. She's got all the abilities, with a new setting and an
interesting race. She does have sort of a problem with the Taurens'
allies (because they're evil and ugly)- Tauren is the only Horde race
she'll ever play.

One final note: Once you've got the other PC set up, make sure it's
patched up and performs reasonably well (using your own account) before
she logs on for the first time. Nothing like an eternal patch download
or laggy/buggy performance to kill the mood. Also, install 1GB RAM if
you can. It makes a difference in populated areas.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 27, 2005 10:45:58 AM

"mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote in message
news:p nGve.34220$J12.2033@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

<snips>

> Don't try to influence her choice of character class or race. If she asks,
> tell her what you know about each of them. Tell her why you like the ones you
> like; don't try to tell her she should like them.
>
> When she picks something that looks interesting to her, ask her if she wants
> you to create a new character to level up with her. If she doesn't, then she
> wants to get to know the game herself. Leave her alone, but be available to
> answer questions if she has them
>
> If she does want you to level up with her, ask her what race and class she
> would like you to play. It's not only fun for someone to try out a character,
> it's also fun to see someone else play something different.
>
> Let her drive. That way she'll find the things she likes. But tell her your
> opinion and what you know when she asks.

Good stuff, Mikel. You're the Dr. Phil of WoW! ;-P
-Marshall
June 27, 2005 11:32:06 AM

Marshall wrote:
> "mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote in message
> news:p nGve.34220$J12.2033@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>
> <snips>
>
>> Don't try to influence her choice of character class or race. If she asks,
>>tell her what you know about each of them. Tell her why you like the ones you
>>like; don't try to tell her she should like them.
>>
>>When she picks something that looks interesting to her, ask her if she wants
>>you to create a new character to level up with her. If she doesn't, then she
>>wants to get to know the game herself. Leave her alone, but be available to
>>answer questions if she has them
>>
>>If she does want you to level up with her, ask her what race and class she
>>would like you to play. It's not only fun for someone to try out a character,
>>it's also fun to see someone else play something different.
>>
>>Let her drive. That way she'll find the things she likes. But tell her your
>>opinion and what you know when she asks.
>

> Good stuff, Mikel. You're the Dr. Phil of WoW! ;-P

I have it on good authority....er...well...on some kind of authority,
anyway...that I'm just a carebear who is ruining the game. :-)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 27, 2005 11:40:50 AM

Good stuff. Thanks for your post.

> [...]
> tell her what you know about each of them. Tell her why you like the ones
> you like; don't try to tell her she should like them.
>
> When she picks something that looks interesting to her, ask her if she
> wants you to create a new character to level up with her. If she doesn't,
> then she wants to get to know the game herself. Leave her alone, but be
> available to answer questions if she has them
>
> If she does want you to level up with her, ask her what race and class she
> would like you to play. It's not only fun for someone to try out a
> character, it's also fun to see someone else play something different.
>
> Let her drive. That way she'll find the things she likes. But tell her
> your opinion and what you know when she asks.
>
> This is the approach I have used with half a dozen friends and family, and
> they are all hopelessly addicted now. :-)
June 27, 2005 1:52:07 PM

gerbilsWITHrifles <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote:

> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
> win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into
> it?

Well, my GF found her dwarven paladin to be most enjoyable... There are
many reasons for this.

1) Paladin is the easiest class to play for those with little skill,
as it is quite forgiving when it comes down to mistakes. There will
be a lot of strategies to explore at the later time, but paladin is
playable from start with little trouble.

2) Paladins are quite difficult to kill, even if your wife won't use
divine shield, blessing of protection and lay on hands... Death causes
grief and edginess.

Personally, my GF loves to tank... But don't ever make a mistake of
explaining her the meaning of tanking. Instead of "Go in there and
take your damage as a good paladin, while rogue and mage are actually
killing the enemy", use "Go in there, and smash them. You can do
it, don't be scared. See those nice guys, that rogue and mage? They
will help you. Just be careful that they don't get killed."

Subtle difference, but it works.

If she wants to go Horde, then go shammie, Tauren if you can. Just
find a subtle way to teach her to use totems :)

Your second best choice would be druids. Somewhat difficult in the
beginning, but no problem if you're in a duo.

Just be prepared for the extraordinary time your wife will be
spending developing her tradeskills... such as continuous
fishing for some Expensive Yellow Fish (TM).

--
Nazgul, via terminal
Visit: http://www.sfmreza.tk

Dump her ass.
"Andy" <andy.knight6@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Lol......you're lucky.......my wife hates the game and has hinted at
> divorce if I don't cut down the hours!!!!
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:18:27 -0400, "Jesse Roos" <rooster5@ptd.net>
> wrote:
>
>>My girlfriend oringally played a priestess because she though healing
>>would
>>be easy (lolz) then found out later it's a bit too complicated for her.
>>She
>>then went to a hunter and had great success, it was easier since she had a
>>pet to tank for her and she could use range. Shes about 45 now so it at
>>least got her into the game and taugher how things work. She actually made
>>every class she only cared for Hunter and Druid, said they were easy for
>>her. I'd still say hunter because you know how women are with cute
>>animals.....
>>
>>"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
>>> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has
>>> been
>>> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good
>>> time
>>> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
>>> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer
>>> built
>>> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and
>>> see if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my
>>> account, but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I
>>> started
>>> an alt along with her to help her along.
>>>
>>> My question is this:
>>>
>>> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video
>>> games?
>>> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days
>>> to win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her
>>> into it?
>>>
>>> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if
>>> anyone
>>> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>>>
>>> Thanks

June 27, 2005 2:22:37 PM

Kav <nerfthatdruid@druidnerf.com> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:58:53 -0500, gerbilsWITHrifles said:
>
>> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife
>> has been hinting that she would like of her own. I think this
>> would be a good time to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought
>> the collector's edition and still have the 10 day free pass, so I
>> think once I get her computer built and running, I'll let her use
>> the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see if she likes the
>> game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account, but I
>> think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt
>> along with her to help her along.
>>
>> My question is this:
>>
>> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many
>> video games? What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If
>> I have just 10 days to win her over to the dark side, what would
>> be the best way to hook her into it?
>>
>> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if
>> anyone has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read
>> them.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I'd say druid - tell her she can play as a cat, no... tell her she
> can play as a panther and a cheeta.
>
> If that doesn't work tell her she gets to cast the "Pink Paw" buff.
>
> Lol @ Pink Paw - still cracks me up :)

I think from now on, in deference to the WoW Wife who coined the term,
we should include the copyright symbol when using the term Pink Paws©

If you don't know how to make a ©, just hold down 'alt' while typing
0169 on the numeric pad, then release the 'alt' key.

--
Doc
June 27, 2005 2:36:36 PM

Doc <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> stared blankly into space for
a short while before writing:
> Kav <nerfthatdruid@druidnerf.com> stared blankly into space for a
> short while before writing:
>> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:58:53 -0500, gerbilsWITHrifles said:
>>
>>> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife
>>> has been hinting that she would like of her own. I think this
>>> would be a good time to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought
>>> the collector's edition and still have the 10 day free pass, so I
>>> think once I get her computer built and running, I'll let her use
>>> the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see if she likes the
>>> game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account, but I
>>> think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt
>>> along with her to help her along.
>>>
>>> My question is this:
>>>
>>> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many
>>> video games? What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If
>>> I have just 10 days to win her over to the dark side, what would
>>> be the best way to hook her into it?
>>>
>>> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if
>>> anyone has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> I'd say druid - tell her she can play as a cat, no... tell her she
>> can play as a panther and a cheeta.
>>
>> If that doesn't work tell her she gets to cast the "Pink Paw" buff.
>>
>> Lol @ Pink Paw - still cracks me up :)
>
> I think from now on, in deference to the WoW Wife who coined the
> term, we should include the copyright symbol when using the term
> Pink Paws©

*sigh* - and of course, the term Pink Paw© :)

Forgive me, I just got out of bed...

> If you don't know how to make a ©, just hold down 'alt' while typing
> 0169 on the numeric pad, then release the 'alt' key.

--
Doc
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 27, 2005 5:12:50 PM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:48:13 +0000 (UTC), Andy
<andy.knight6@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Lol......you're lucky.......my wife hates the game and has hinted at
>divorce if I don't cut down the hours!!!!

Well...why not?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 27, 2005 5:12:54 PM

> But... I think the choice of priest wound up being a mistake, even
> after 34 levels of experience. It turns out to be a hard class to play:
> many complicated spells, constantly re-targeting on party members
> for healing, lots of complications on healing while avoiding aggro

The CastParty mod from www.curse-gaming.com goes a long, long way
towards making the lives of healers (and the people they're healing)
much easier. By the time you get to Uldaman, you really need to be
using it.

The most recent load is on the FreshMeat site and I've downloaded it
and I'm quite happy with it.

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (34) on Stormrage [PvE]

First, fire up your soulstone (just in case). Then, hit her with
Corruption, Immolate, and Curse of Agony. Then finish her off with your
"all new" rapid fire wand. Usually does the trick...especially if she is
wearing a bathrobe, nightie, or something with low armor.

"Andy" <andy.knight6@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Lol......you're lucky.......my wife hates the game and has hinted at
> divorce if I don't cut down the hours!!!!
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:18:27 -0400, "Jesse Roos" <rooster5@ptd.net>
> wrote:
>
>>My girlfriend oringally played a priestess because she though healing
>>would
>>be easy (lolz) then found out later it's a bit too complicated for her.
>>She
>>then went to a hunter and had great success, it was easier since she had a
>>pet to tank for her and she could use range. Shes about 45 now so it at
>>least got her into the game and taugher how things work. She actually made
>>every class she only cared for Hunter and Druid, said they were easy for
>>her. I'd still say hunter because you know how women are with cute
>>animals.....
>>
>>"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
>>> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has
>>> been
>>> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good
>>> time
>>> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
>>> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer
>>> built
>>> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and
>>> see if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my
>>> account, but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I
>>> started
>>> an alt along with her to help her along.
>>>
>>> My question is this:
>>>
>>> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video
>>> games?
>>> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days
>>> to win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her
>>> into it?
>>>
>>> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if
>>> anyone
>>> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>>>
>>> Thanks

June 27, 2005 11:46:16 PM

Grant wrote:
> "gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
>
>>Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
>>hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time to
>>try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and still
>>have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built and
>>running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see if she
>>likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account, but I
>>think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt along with
>>her to help her along.
>>
>>My question is this:
>>
>>Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
>>What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
>>win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into it?
>>
>>I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone has
>>any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> AFAIK most women I've seen playing prefer the casting classes, particularly mage
> and priest. Tanking just doesn't seem to appeal to them.

Not true in my experience. I've played a lot with women players over the
past seven months; there are nine of them that I play with regularly.
Those women play mains that are: two warriors, two rogues, two shamans,
two paladins, a druid. (That set of women, by the way, includes my
68-year-old mother and her sister, and also my two daughters, ages 18
and 23, so perhaps is not representative of the female population of
players as a whole :-) ).

One of the warriors is a level 56 arms/fury gnomish warrior with cute
little ponytails and great big axes. :-)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 28, 2005 1:37:30 AM

> [...]
> tell her what you know about each of them. Tell her why you like the ones
> you like; don't try to tell her she should like them.
>
> When she picks something that looks interesting to her, ask her if she
> wants you to create a new character to level up with her. If she doesn't,
> then she wants to get to know the game herself. Leave her alone, but be
> available to answer questions if she has them
>
> If she does want you to level up with her, ask her what race and class she
> would like you to play. It's not only fun for someone to try out a
> character, it's also fun to see someone else play something different.
>
> Let her drive. That way she'll find the things she likes. But tell her
> your opinion and what you know when she asks.
>
> This is the approach I have used with half a dozen friends and family, and
> they are all hopelessly addicted now. :-)

Great post, Mike! I recently was able to get my wife (who doesn't really
play games and never an MMORPG) to start playing WoW. I initially thought
the same way you did, and let her go with whatever class she found
interesting; however, she really liked the idea of a shaman and after a few
levels it turned into a problem because she had problems managing the
multiple aspects of melee, ranged, and totems.

So I suggested she create a warrior, and surprisingly enough she chose a
female troll warrior. I created a male troll warrior to work with her and
taunt things off of her, and it's the funniest thing I've ever seen. My
mild-mannered wife has become the ultimate barbarian and her cries of battle
rage and blood lust echo throughout our house! Because she's so into it
now, I've recommended that she spec 2-handers only and she just loves
cutting her computer opponents down (PvE - role-playing server), and I make
sure that she always has the biggest and baddest 2-handed axes we can find
:)  It's a blast and we constantly role-play and flirt in game too ;)

Personally, I wouldn't recommend starting someone without MMORPG experience
on a PvP server. As soon as you hit contested lands, the ganking starts and
nothing is more frustrating to a new player who doesn't understand exactly
what's happening and hasn't mastered the timing and skills required to be
competitive in PvP.

As a side note, I thought about creating a support class (e.g. priest) to
work with my wife's warrior, but I decided that in the higher levels the
warrior really needs to know what they're doing with taunts to protect the
priest. With another warrior, I can focus on shield and taunts and just let
her pound away with glee :)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 28, 2005 1:40:23 AM

"news-server.hawaii.rr.com" <bynary@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> loves cutting her computer opponents down (PvE - role-playing server), and
> I make sure that she always has the biggest and baddest 2-handed axes we
> can find :)  It's a blast and we constantly role-play and flirt in game
> too ;)
>
> Personally, I wouldn't recommend starting someone without MMORPG
> experience on a PvP server. As soon as you hit contested lands, the
> ganking starts and nothing is more frustrating to a new player who doesn't
> understand exactly what's happening and hasn't mastered the timing and
> skills required to be competitive in PvP.
>
> As a side note, I thought about creating a support class (e.g. priest) to
> work with my wife's warrior, but I decided that in the higher levels the
> warrior really needs to know what they're doing with taunts to protect the
> priest. With another warrior, I can focus on shield and taunts and just

Bah! #$%^ default Outlook Express settings ;)

-Bynary
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 28, 2005 2:11:56 AM

chocolatemalt wrote:
> all the flack that priests get regarding the effectiveness of their
> healing (especially from the scads of 12- and 15-year-old players
> with zero social skills, a real negative in the WoW universe.)

I've certainly run into my share of idiot zero-social-skill players,
but the one thing I can't recall getting complaints on is my healing,
even when I'm explictly acting as the only group healer. Some
combination of a) my skill, b) luck, and c) "Hey, be glad we have a
healer at all," I suppose, but I'm honestly surprised; Priests are
supposed to be *the* single most-desired group component. Just another
few levels and your girlfriend can start doing Scarlet Monastery, then
Zul'Farrak, then Maraudon, then Sunken Temple, then Blackrock Depths
runs as often as she wants.

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/&gt; PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 5.9% us, 1.2% sy, 2.9% ni, 88.5% id, 1.5% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.0% si

mikel wrote:

> Not true in my experience. I've played a lot with women players over the
> past seven months; there are nine of them that I play with regularly.
> Those women play mains that are: two warriors, two rogues, two shamans,
> two paladins, a druid. (That set of women, by the way, includes my
> 68-year-old mother and her sister, and also my two daughters, ages 18
> and 23, so perhaps is not representative of the female population of
> players as a whole :-) ).

*GASP*
Your mother and her sister play WoW. My mother (soon to turn 50) is
computer savy, and loves her freecell & spider (windows card games), and
I doubt she'll ever get into games that you can't win or loose within 5
minutes.

As for your daughters, are they still single ;-)

> One of the warriors is a level 56 arms/fury gnomish warrior with cute
> little ponytails and great big axes. :-)

I don't want to guess which person this is

--
Marsh Lion
June 28, 2005 3:43:35 PM

Marsh_lion wrote:
> mikel wrote:
>

>> Not true in my experience. I've played a lot with women players over
>> the past seven months; there are nine of them that I play with
>> regularly. Those women play mains that are: two warriors, two rogues,
>> two shamans, two paladins, a druid. (That set of women, by the way,
>> includes my 68-year-old mother and her sister, and also my two
>> daughters, ages 18 and 23, so perhaps is not representative of the
>> female population of players as a whole :-) ).
>

> *GASP*
> Your mother and her sister play WoW. My mother (soon to turn 50) is
> computer savy, and loves her freecell & spider (windows card games), and
> I doubt she'll ever get into games that you can't win or loose within 5
> minutes.
>
> As for your daughters, are they still single ;-)

Down, boy. They are fierce, my daughters.

>> One of the warriors is a level 56 arms/fury gnomish warrior with cute
>> little ponytails and great big axes. :-)
>

> I don't want to guess which person this is

None of my relatives. She is a very interesting person, who interrupted
her WOW career in the 50s in order to have a lung transplant. She is one
of my favorite people that I've met in the game.
June 28, 2005 11:07:16 PM

Lol....nice one.......warrior tho, so I'll have to try Shield bash on
her! Usually works on evil witches!

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:18:33 GMT, "Grogmeister" <abc@abc.com> wrote:

>First, fire up your soulstone (just in case). Then, hit her with
>Corruption, Immolate, and Curse of Agony. Then finish her off with your
>"all new" rapid fire wand. Usually does the trick...especially if she is
>wearing a bathrobe, nightie, or something with low armor.
>

>"Andy" <andy.knight6@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Lol......you're lucky.......my wife hates the game and has hinted at
>> divorce if I don't cut down the hours!!!!
>> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:18:27 -0400, "Jesse Roos" <rooster5@ptd.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>My girlfriend oringally played a priestess because she though healing
>>>would
>>>be easy (lolz) then found out later it's a bit too complicated for her.
>>>She
>>>then went to a hunter and had great success, it was easier since she had a
>>>pet to tank for her and she could use range. Shes about 45 now so it at
>>>least got her into the game and taugher how things work. She actually made
>>>every class she only cared for Hunter and Druid, said they were easy for
>>>her. I'd still say hunter because you know how women are with cute
>>>animals.....
>>>
>>>"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 30, 2005 9:02:32 AM

My girlfriend actually got me INTO WoW!

She's a level 60 Paladin now....however I think the Pally became a tad
boring after a time (it took a long time to get to lvl 60)

She's got an Alt rogue (22ish) and I think enjoys that alot.....Rogues seem
fun to play.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 30, 2005 2:27:37 PM

"Noal McDonald" <dharzhak@my-deja.com> wrote:

> The CastParty mod from www.curse-gaming.com goes a long, long way
> towards making the lives of healers (and the people they're healing)
> much easier. By the time you get to Uldaman, you really need to be
> using it.

I don't know if he needs it, I don't. It's not too hard to keep the
mouse (and the eyes) over the portraits and the fingers over the
hotkeys of the healing spells. For me, using hotkeys is ways faster
and safer than clicking on some small buttons right of the portraits,
especially when there are many spells (cure curse, 2 different spells
for curing poison, regrowth, rejuvenation, rebirth and 3 levels of
healing touch, plus thorns and motw).

Chris

btw: Wasn't ment to sound offensive, but your post sounded a bit
like "if you don't use it, you're a bad healer", which is not
true.

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (53) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

"Yeechang Lee" <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:

> chocolatemalt wrote:
>> all the flack that priests get regarding the effectiveness of their
>> healing (especially from the scads of 12- and 15-year-old players
>> with zero social skills, a real negative in the WoW universe.)
>
> I've certainly run into my share of idiot zero-social-skill players,
> but the one thing I can't recall getting complaints on is my healing,
> even when I'm explictly acting as the only group healer. Some
> combination of a) my skill, b) luck, and c) "Hey, be glad we have a
> healer at all," I suppose, but I'm honestly surprised; Priests are
> supposed to be *the* single most-desired group component. Just another
> few levels and your girlfriend can start doing Scarlet Monastery, then
> Zul'Farrak, then Maraudon, then Sunken Temple, then Blackrock Depths
> runs as often as she wants.

Same for druids. Since about level 45, I can't play a session without
getting invites for ZF, Uldaman, Maraudon or ST. (Maybe that's a
Sunstrider thing, although I don't think my server has less priests
than other servers).

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (53) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 30, 2005 2:40:20 PM

> I don't know if he needs it, I don't. It's not too hard to keep the
> mouse (and the eyes) over the portraits and the fingers over the
> hotkeys of the healing spells. For me, using hotkeys is ways
> faster and safer than clicking on some small buttons right of the
> portraits, especially when there are many spells (cure curse,
> 2 different spells for curing poison, regrowth, rejuvenation, rebirth
> and 3 levels of healing touch, plus thorns and motw).

What you're missing is that CastParty uses the most appropriate
setting, but the appropriate level, so you don't waste mana by casting
a bigger heal than you need to. Between that and Innervate, I rarely
need mana pots and usually don't need more than one stack of water in a
raid.

In terms of keeping the life of a healer simple and efficient, Cast
Party & CT Raid Assist (for higher levels) is as close to mission
critical as you get.

> btw: Wasn't ment to sound offensive, but your post sounded a bit
> like "if you don't use it, you're a bad healer", which is not true.

Actually, at high levels, I'd argue that it is true. Not be all "I'm a
level 60 and seen stuff you haven't" on you, but in this case, it's
true. Mana efficiency is the single most important issue for a healer
in high level raids. Cast Party gives you an incredible edge in that
department.

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (35) on Stormrage [PvE]

> You can also find druids that chose that class because they want
> to heal, but you can also find druids that don't want to heal and
> instead just want to tank/do other druidic things,

When I join a pickup raid, I put out there that I can do the tanking
role and will do whatever the party needs. If I'm needed for healing,
cool. If you need me to help tank it up, great.

What I don't appreciate is when we have an excess of healers and
another tank is needed more, some twerp warlock wants to run their
mouth about a class they've never played, while priests from other
guilds are telling them that they have personally seen me out tank most
pallies they know.

The druid class is all about versatility. If someone gets rude about
"know your role, druid," to me, they're going to find that they've just
pissed off several different guilds that know I do good work and may
find it hard to get it runs organized by them. That aside, I don't put
up with rude jackasses and immature guilds and it's no skin off my back
to not be a part of any runs with them in the future.

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (35) on Stormrage [PvE]
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 30, 2005 4:14:57 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:38:03 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
<wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:

>> Priests are
>> supposed to be *the* single most-desired group component. Just another
>> few levels and your girlfriend can start doing Scarlet Monastery, then
>> Zul'Farrak, then Maraudon, then Sunken Temple, then Blackrock Depths
>> runs as often as she wants.
>
>Same for druids. Since about level 45, I can't play a session without
>getting invites for ZF, Uldaman, Maraudon or ST. (Maybe that's a
>Sunstrider thing, although I don't think my server has less priests
>than other servers).

If you go by http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php, then overall on
alliance side warlock is the least played class (7%), then comes both
priests and druids at 10% each.
Horde side overall has druids at 8%, warlocks 9%, and then priests at
10%.

On sunstrider you have (alliance side) 6% warlocks, 8% priests, and
10% druids. Horde has 7% druids, 8% warlocks, and 9% priests.

All numbers are only counting level 10-60. I have chosen to divide by
faction because the two factions can't group with each others, and I
don't want exclusive classes to skew the numbers. Eg. overall on both
faction the least played class is shaman with 7%. But overall on horde
only, shamans and warriors share the position as most played with 17%
each.

Another reason priests are popular to group with is their attitude:
They chose the class because they want to heal people, so bring one
along with you and you are guaranteed to have a dedicated healer who
won't bitch about the role.
You can also find druids that chose that class because they want to
heal, but you can also find druids that don't want to heal and instead
just want to tank/do other druidic things, and finding shamans or
paladins who want to focus on healing is a much rarer occurrence since
it is not the main focus of the class.

Of course, whatever reputation you manage to build up over the levels
can also get others to choose/discard you regardless of the class you
play.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Simon Nejmann wrote:
> [F]inding shamans or paladins who want to focus on healing is a much
> rarer occurrence since it is not the main focus of the class.

Which is a pity. I honestly *enjoy* healing. Maybe it's because as a
Paladin I don't have to do it all the time; I'm trying out a Priest,
and it's entirely possible that always being the primary healer in a
group will drive me mad. But good healing is an art. It takes quick
reflexes (quicker reflexes than combat as a Paladin, in fact) to
effectively use the F1-F5 keys and the buffing, healing, and purifying
shortcut keys to keep a party alive. It's a game of constant
tradeoffs: Player A might be losing health faster than Player B, but A
is a Druid and thus might (if he's paying attention) be able to heal
himself while I take care of Player B. Or I might not bother with
removing poisons because they're coming in faster than I can purify,
so instead I'll just focus on healing. When to use a mana potion (and
take the cooldown)? Am I not currently under attack, and can thus use
a bandage on a player and save me some mana? When to switch to Seal of
Wisdom to regain mana? Etc., etc.

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/&gt; PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 5.6% us, 1.2% sy, 2.6% ni, 89.0% id, 1.5% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.0% si

"Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:38:03 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
> <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
>>Same for druids. Since about level 45, I can't play a session without
>>getting invites for ZF, Uldaman, Maraudon or ST. (Maybe that's a
>>Sunstrider thing, although I don't think my server has less priests
>>than other servers).
>
> If you go by http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php, then overall on
> alliance side warlock is the least played class (7%), then comes both
> priests and druids at 10% each.
> Horde side overall has druids at 8%, warlocks 9%, and then priests at
> 10%.
>
> On sunstrider you have (alliance side) 6% warlocks, 8% priests, and
> 10% druids. Horde has 7% druids, 8% warlocks, and 9% priests.

Impressive. I'd never thought that druids are that rare, even rarer
than priests.

> All numbers are only counting level 10-60. I have chosen to divide by
> faction because the two factions can't group with each others, and I
> don't want exclusive classes to skew the numbers. Eg. overall on both
> faction the least played class is shaman with 7%. But overall on horde
> only, shamans and warriors share the position as most played with 17%
> each.

Not rogues? Very confusing day for me :o )

> Another reason priests are popular to group with is their attitude:
> They chose the class because they want to heal people, so bring one
> along with you and you are guaranteed to have a dedicated healer who
> won't bitch about the role.

Indeed. And they know what they do. I've only played with a bad priest
once. It was in SM/armory. As we only had damage dealers (trigger
happy mage, rogue and warlock) I had to tank and the priest healed.
It was in a tough fight where the healer started using mind control.
I thought WTF? but didn't really bother. After some seconds, she
wrote something like "druid, heal". I shifted out, did some fast stuff
to heal at least a bit and shifted back. I explained her that it's
kinda hard to heal with 4 mobs hitting me and replied to her question
"so do you want me to stop mind controlling???" with "I'm just telling
you that I can either tank or heal. If we don't have a tank, we'll die.
If we don't have a healer, we'll die. The rest is up to you".

Just a short story :-) But all other priests I partied with so far
were doing really great jobs, and I guess it's exactly because they
choose a priest for doing the healing.

> You can also find druids that chose that class because they want to
> heal, but you can also find druids that don't want to heal and instead
> just want to tank/do other druidic things, and finding shamans or
> paladins who want to focus on healing is a much rarer occurrence since
> it is not the main focus of the class.

Agreed. Having a shaman, even a healing specced one, being main healer
is a bit risky (in my experience). Because they do nothing a healer
should do (except the healing of course). They tend to stand in the
middle, even when they know the mobs can silence or stun, they heal
too early, draw aggro, etc. Just my experience of course, and it's
clearly not all shamen who behave like this.

> Of course, whatever reputation you manage to build up over the levels
> can also get others to choose/discard you regardless of the class you
> play.

I'm a hugmachine. Invite me. Moo.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (53) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 30, 2005 11:27:11 PM

Brian <brianmcadam@pobox.com> writes:

> Mind Control is completely useless anyways. It's channeled, so you can't
> do anything else while you're Controlling. I'm *much* rather have the
> Priest doing his job than some weak mob adding his little bit to our side.

Pfft. It's great for pre-emptive crowd control pulling. MC one elite in
a group of four, the other three beat it down.

Granted, you have to have an on-the-ball tank to take aggro on the three
incoming elites.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

> However, thanks for the rich information! I think I'll have a look at
> this mod, but only for 2 things: For displaying the members health
> deficit, and for curing stuff. I'm still having the impression that
> there's not enough logic behind the "select the appropriate healing
> spell" functionality compared to what I can decide depending on the
> situation.

Tell you what, Chris. Take the Pepsi Challenge.

Set up CastParty & CastParty Options (gui tool for configuring it) from
FreshMeat and use it for a week with an open mind. If you have
questions about configurations, ask me and I'll be happy to help. If
you still don't see the merit in it, cool. But at least you'd have
experienced it personally and wouldn't be arguing based on
"impressions."

Cool?

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (35) on Stormrage [PvE]
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 1, 2005 12:41:47 PM

"Noal McDonald" <dharzhak@my-deja.com> wrote:

>> I don't know if he needs it, I don't. It's not too hard to keep the
>> mouse (and the eyes) over the portraits and the fingers over the
>> hotkeys of the healing spells. For me, using hotkeys is ways
>> faster and safer than clicking on some small buttons right of the
>> portraits, especially when there are many spells (cure curse,
>> 2 different spells for curing poison, regrowth, rejuvenation, rebirth
>> and 3 levels of healing touch, plus thorns and motw).
>
> What you're missing is that CastParty uses the most appropriate
> setting, but the appropriate level, so you don't waste mana by casting
> a bigger heal than you need to.

To be honest, that's a feature I'm VERY happy not to have to use.
I don't know the internals of this mod, but I'm quite sure its
algorithm is rather primitive.

First thing is: I usually don't want to heal my target for full health
(you know: healers aren't there to keep people at full life, they only
should keep them alive). Maybe this mod is covering it with the
possibility of setting a treshold (like: heal target for 75% of his
max life). But even then: Situations vary.

Second thing is: When I want to heal someone for full life, the mod
is likely to choose the wrong version of the spell. Example? A rogue
gains too much aggro of a real hard hitting badass enemy. I see this
quite early while he has about 75% health left. Because I know his
health will be below 25% in 3.5 seconds (which is the time my HT
needs), I'm going to cast the highest level HT/regrowth I have. The
mod would choose a lower rank, because it's only considering the
current state of the rogue, which is he's only lacking 25% of his
total health.
It just CAN'T know how much DPS my heal target is recieving, and how
likely it is that situation is kept up (for example because the
attackers will die soon, or the tank is trying to take care of them,
or whatever).

> Between that and Innervate, I rarely
> need mana pots and usually don't need more than one stack of water in a
> raid.

I can only talk for instances up to ZF/Uldaman/Maraudon, but situations
I have to sit after fights are rare (I HATE it to have to wait after
each bunch of mobs, that's why I don't like mages in a team :-). I never
used more than one stack of drinks, usually 5-10.

> In terms of keeping the life of a healer simple and efficient, Cast
> Party & CT Raid Assist (for higher levels) is as close to mission
> critical as you get.

I still disagree on that. Healing is not really as stressful and hard
to do right as tanking is. The only "challenge" is to use the right
spells on the right targets at the right time. I can't see why I would
need a mod for that. I'm fast and accurate enough to do it. Plus, I
know a mod can't decide better than me which spell to use.

> Actually, at high levels, I'd argue that it is true. Not be all "I'm a
> level 60 and seen stuff you haven't" on you, but in this case, it's
> true. Mana efficiency is the single most important issue for a healer
> in high level raids. Cast Party gives you an incredible edge in that
> department.

See above. I still can't see why a mod, that only knows the current
state of the situation, should decide better than me. I don't want to
sound arrogant and claim to be the uberhealer, but I'm quite sure I
take more details into consideration when choosing a heal spell than
a community programmed addon will ever do. And the "mechanical"
effort needed to select teammates and healing spells is no problem,
even with the standard UI.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (53) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 1, 2005 1:07:19 PM

Noal McDonald wrote:
> > However, thanks for the rich information! I think I'll have a look at
> > this mod, but only for 2 things: For displaying the members health
> > deficit, and for curing stuff. I'm still having the impression that
> > there's not enough logic behind the "select the appropriate healing
> > spell" functionality compared to what I can decide depending on the
> > situation.
>
> Tell you what, Chris. Take the Pepsi Challenge.
>
> Set up CastParty & CastParty Options (gui tool for configuring it) from
> FreshMeat and use it for a week with an open mind. If you have
> questions about configurations, ask me and I'll be happy to help. If
> you still don't see the merit in it, cool. But at least you'd have
> experienced it personally and wouldn't be arguing based on
> "impressions."
>
> Cool?
>
> Regards,
> Noal

I've always spent my time in instances doing emotes. Most of my hotkeys
are emotes there. /love, /cower, /laugh, /rofl, /cry, /pray, /cheer,
/applaud, /kiss /violin /slap...

And I'm almost serious :)

I've more or less followed that discussion, and I have to say that
making trivial the use of spells, whether it "works" or not, isn't
something I'd like to do. In my opinion you could say it'd be the
difference between driving a sportscar to 250km/h and sitting in a
train at 300km/h. It's sure enjoyable to look around, but there's no
more game, no more thrill, and no more responsibility. 98% of the fun I
get from healing in instances comes from taking responsibility for the
choice of the right spell to cast, at what time, etc. When the journey
ends 4 hours later, I don't want to be awoken from boredom by an epic
roll. I want to fight for it!

Heal 2, 3, 4, Greater Heal 1, 2, 3, flash heal 7, 8, 9, Shield 8, 9,
renew 7, 8, holy nova, prayer of healing 2, 3, dispel, abolish disease,
shadow protection... I have over thirty various heal-related hotkeys
and buttons, with some intentionally redundancy. It just depends on
where my mouse is at the moment when I need a heal done. I use
home-made priest stances with flexbar, which allow me to switch between
damage hotkey, healing hotkeys, buffing/debuffing hotkeys etc. Much
like BF would build a farm and CF cast a fireball in Warcraft 2, F1
puts me in a stance where q is mind blast, F2 q is still mind blast, F3
q becomes fade, F4 q becomes shadow protection, F5 and q becomes mind
soothe, F6 and I have my /love macro. But there's no "all-in-wonder"
button.

I consider myself not as a heal bot - but as a wannabe heal hero. Use
your heal assistant all you want. I won't, that's all.

Slightly OT:
We'll see how it goes tonight, with Chris, Stoneskin, Saucey and a few
other Sash Crackers (from this newsgroup or RL/server friends), we're
going to do our first guild Blackrock Depths instance. With people
levels 50-58. Chris main healer and Offtank. Me main AOE healer, main
dispeller, main shielder, and off-damager. Stoneskin main ranged
damager and backup AOE healer. Saucey's rogue main damager. And Grunter
will be our orcish bodyguard.

That's one of the setups we could end up using. But we could also form
a raid. Several other people in the guild would love to come along, and
I would love to play with a whole <Cracked Sash Inc> raid instance.
I've been waiting for that for soo long now ;)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 1, 2005 2:12:51 PM

"Brian" <brianmcadam@pobox.com> wrote:

> I don't know how CastParty works, but the algorithm for Benecast is
> actually fairly sophisticated.
>
> In the default setting, it will never overheal by a single point. So even
> when it's healing to "full", it's really healing to 95% or 99%, and doing
> it more accurately than I could ever eyeball it. (it even adds up the +100
> or so to healing that I have scattered on my gear, and counts that)
>
> You can also, for situations where you expect targets to continue to take
> damage during the heal, set an "overheal", by ranks. For example, if I hit
> Flash Heal, and rank 6 would give me 99%, and I have overheal set to one
> rank, it'll cast rank 7 if I have it.

Nice, I have to decide before the fight how I want to heal all the targets?
Instead of deciding it individually for every target in every situation?
That's no advantage from my point of view.

Still: You guys tell me this addon is crucial because it
a) Takes away all the stress for me to manage 10+ different spells
b) Selects the most appropriate spell

I have no problems with a), not even with my close-to-standard UI. And
I doubt b), because the mods algorithm is far from what a human being
can decide.

> Plus, I'm shadowspec. Most of my easy access hotkeys are *damage* spells.
> I solo a lot, and I enjoy it. I don't want to have to rewire my hotkeys
> with healing spells every time I join an instance group. Benecast gives me
> 3-4 ranks of Heal, Flash Heal, and Renew, without taking up a single space
> on my hotbars.

You can (with the basic UI) define multiple main bars (main means accessible
with the 1234567890 keys). Switch between them with <Shift><Up> and <Down>.

> Benecast is also wired to track buffs and debuffs, which means I have a
> clear visual reminder if someone's Fortitude has dropped, if they need a
> Cure Disease or a Dispel Magic, or when the debuff has dropped and I can re
> Shield them.

No need for that (for me). Mark/gift of the wild is casted on all members at
the same time, so i can see it on my own timer. Thorns on the tanks is
renewed each 5 minutes to be sure. Debuffs such as curses and poisons are
visible anyway.

> And an easy, accurate button to push to get exactly the spell
> that I need at the time.

Which I still doubt.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (53) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 1, 2005 2:42:16 PM

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 08:41:47 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
<wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:

>First thing is: I usually don't want to heal my target for full health
>(you know: healers aren't there to keep people at full life, they only
>should keep them alive). Maybe this mod is covering it with the
>possibility of setting a treshold (like: heal target for 75% of his
>max life). But even then: Situations vary.

It does, and you can easily set the value yourself.

>Second thing is: When I want to heal someone for full life, the mod
>is likely to choose the wrong version of the spell. Example? A rogue
>gains too much aggro of a real hard hitting badass enemy. I see this
>quite early while he has about 75% health left. Because I know his
>health will be below 25% in 3.5 seconds (which is the time my HT
>needs), I'm going to cast the highest level HT/regrowth I have. The
>mod would choose a lower rank, because it's only considering the
>current state of the rogue, which is he's only lacking 25% of his
>total health.

Yes, this is the big bad side of this mod. On the other hand, the mod
does not prevent you from doing any of the things you do now.

>I can only talk for instances up to ZF/Uldaman/Maraudon, but situations
>I have to sit after fights are rare (I HATE it to have to wait after
>each bunch of mobs, that's why I don't like mages in a team :-). I never
>used more than one stack of drinks, usually 5-10.

As far as I remember, you rarely get more than 2-3 mobs at a time in
Zul.
Try going to Stratholme, and take on a group of 2-3 elites and 5-7
non-elites at the same time - drinking after battle is the wise thing
to do there. Even more so when you factor in the possibility of
getting adds.

>> In terms of keeping the life of a healer simple and efficient, Cast
>> Party & CT Raid Assist (for higher levels) is as close to mission
>> critical as you get.
>
>I still disagree on that. Healing is not really as stressful and hard
>to do right as tanking is. The only "challenge" is to use the right
>spells on the right targets at the right time. I can't see why I would
>need a mod for that. I'm fast and accurate enough to do it. Plus, I
>know a mod can't decide better than me which spell to use.

I agree with you on CastParty - it is (very) good, but not critical.

RaidAssist, on the other hand is as close to critical as you can get
in a raid (and only for healers in a raid). See, using only Blizzards
UI it only resently became possible to target other members in the
raid without clicking on them in 3D view or typing "/target <name>",
but it requires that you have the social panel open, and it is still
not possible to see their health bars.
RaidAssist allows you to see their health/mana/energy/rage (disable
any you don't need) and to easily target them. Without RaidAssist I
would have to use macros to cycle through the 10 people not in my
group to be able to see if they need healing - you should be able to
see the futility in this approach. With RaidAssist I can see their
health bars on my screen all the time, and can heal the entire raid
without any problems.

Lastly, a few things I like about CastParty which has not been
mentioned yet:

It provides a small movable party frame - see picture:
http://www.curse-gaming.com/modscreens.php?id=2626
Not a good thing in itself, but it does good things with it.

The text it shows on each party member can be configured (showing
deficit is nice instead of having to guess by the number of pixels
missing):

** from the documentation **
- added templating system for unit bar text:

%n - unit name
%m - max health
%h - current health
%d - health deficit
%p - health percent
%l - level
%c - class
**

The buffs/debuffs it shows can be filtered - I only show priest buffs
and magic/disease debuffs. This allows you to see who has your buff in
one glance (the standard UI only shows 8 buffs, so your buff can be in
an invisible slot). It also allows you to cure people more easily - if
it shows a debuff, then I can cure it - hold ctrl and right click on
the guy and the mod chooses the right cure spell on its own.

The way the mod works is not by stacking buttons next to the party
frame (that is BeneCast). It allows you to configure what mouse clicks
does on its party frame. Eg. I have set it up like this:

Left click = heal of mods choice
Shift + left click = target party member
Right click = shield
Shift + right click = fortitude buff
Ctrl + right click = cure (of mods choice)
Alt + right click = heal over time

If you want to you can also set it up to cast a specific rank of a
specific spell on some key combination (eg. shift+ctrl+left click =
greater heal rank 4), and as such it is possible to completely forego
all of the mods "I choose spell for you" functionality and put all of
your spells on various keyboard-mouseclick shortcuts (it supports all
combinations of shift, ctrl, alt and 5 mouse buttons).
Picture of the setup screen:
http://www.curse-gaming.com/modscreens.php?id=1688

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:32:51 GMT, mikel <mikel@evins.net> wrote:

>I think saying it's completely useless is way overstating the case. I've
>gone through several instances in which a priest used Mind Control to
>reduce the number of mobs in a group, by MCing one mob an dusing it to
>attack another; the others kill the MCed mob; that takes one out. The
>target of the MCed mob also loses some health in the fight. Now the
>group of mobs is weaker when the party engages it.
>
>Admittedly, it only works on certain kinds of groups, and so is a rather
>specialized use. Nevertheless, it can work well.

Yep, it is a very rarely used spell, but in some cases it is soooo
good :)

For example, I once went to Dire Maul north (ogre infested place) in a
group with two priests. As the shadow specced one I got to do MC, and
I tell you - those ogres can dish it out!
Not only did I take one out of the fight and tank a second while the
rest of the group killed the third, I also pumped out regular hits in
the 600-1k range adding a _very_ nice bit to the party dps. Of course,
we also had a great tank who knew how to grab aggro, and the times
where the MC'ed mob managed to hit me after I released it were rare (a
bit of priest/tank coordiantion goes a long way here).

Oh, and you can also grab spellcasters in there, and some of them can
banish - except they are not limited to banishing demons/elementals,
so we also had an ogre or two getting banished once in a while :p

In short - DM north is a golden area to use MC in if you have an extra
healer that allows the priest a day off from healbot duty.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

"Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 08:41:47 +0200, "Christian Stauffer"
> <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
>>First thing is: I usually don't want to heal my target for full health
>>(you know: healers aren't there to keep people at full life, they only
>>should keep them alive). Maybe this mod is covering it with the
>>possibility of setting a treshold (like: heal target for 75% of his
>>max life). But even then: Situations vary.
>
> It does, and you can easily set the value yourself.

Of course, but I don't want a fixed treshold :-)

>>Second thing is: When I want to heal someone for full life, the mod
>>is likely to choose the wrong version of the spell. Example? A rogue
>>gains too much aggro of a real hard hitting badass enemy. I see this
>>quite early while he has about 75% health left. Because I know his
>>health will be below 25% in 3.5 seconds (which is the time my HT
>>needs), I'm going to cast the highest level HT/regrowth I have. The
>>mod would choose a lower rank, because it's only considering the
>>current state of the rogue, which is he's only lacking 25% of his
>>total health.
>
> Yes, this is the big bad side of this mod. On the other hand, the mod
> does not prevent you from doing any of the things you do now.

Agreed, but I don't want to install and configure mods just to continue
doing my stuff without them.

>>I can only talk for instances up to ZF/Uldaman/Maraudon, but situations
>>I have to sit after fights are rare (I HATE it to have to wait after
>>each bunch of mobs, that's why I don't like mages in a team :-). I never
>>used more than one stack of drinks, usually 5-10.
>
> As far as I remember, you rarely get more than 2-3 mobs at a time in
> Zul.

Most packs of mobs are 3-4 mobs, plus fast-spawning patrols (I get a
patrol add once per ZF per average :-). And there's the stairway fight,
which lasts between 5 and ten minutes. The first time I did ZF I didn't
figure it was possible to drink between the fights, and I kept my fellas
alive without drinking (I was about 47 IIRC, with an average party level
of about 48). I am totally aware about the importance of mana
efficiency.

> Try going to Stratholme, and take on a group of 2-3 elites and 5-7
> non-elites at the same time - drinking after battle is the wise thing
> to do there. Even more so when you factor in the possibility of
> getting adds.

It depends on how challenging it is, of course. There's 2 situations
I seperate: When it's "easy", I'm being ready for the next fight when
I have 50% mana. This means, I try to cast my spells so I have 50%
mana left when the fight is over and people are at full health again.
This also means that if things go wrong, I still can use a mana pot
or innervate to save the situation. And then there's the challenging
instances, where I won't start a fight without being at 100% mana,
and where I have to drink after most of the fights.

>>> In terms of keeping the life of a healer simple and efficient, Cast
>>> Party & CT Raid Assist (for higher levels) is as close to mission
>>> critical as you get.
>>
>>I still disagree on that. Healing is not really as stressful and hard
>>to do right as tanking is. The only "challenge" is to use the right
>>spells on the right targets at the right time. I can't see why I would
>>need a mod for that. I'm fast and accurate enough to do it. Plus, I
>>know a mod can't decide better than me which spell to use.
>
> I agree with you on CastParty - it is (very) good, but not critical.

Thanks :o )

> RaidAssist, on the other hand is as close to critical as you can get
> in a raid (and only for healers in a raid). See, using only Blizzards
> UI it only resently became possible to target other members in the
> raid without clicking on them in 3D view or typing "/target <name>",
> but it requires that you have the social panel open, and it is still
> not possible to see their health bars.
> RaidAssist allows you to see their health/mana/energy/rage (disable
> any you don't need) and to easily target them. Without RaidAssist I
> would have to use macros to cycle through the 10 people not in my
> group to be able to see if they need healing - you should be able to
> see the futility in this approach. With RaidAssist I can see their
> health bars on my screen all the time, and can heal the entire raid
> without any problems.

If there was a misunderstanding: I don't know RaidAssist, and if it
is what I've seen in some videos, I'm 100% sure it is critical. My
comment was only aimed towards mods like CastParty.

> Lastly, a few things I like about CastParty which has not been
> mentioned yet:
>
> It provides a small movable party frame - see picture:
> http://www.curse-gaming.com/modscreens.php?id=2626
> Not a good thing in itself, but it does good things with it.

Hrm...

> The text it shows on each party member can be configured (showing
> deficit is nice instead of having to guess by the number of pixels
> missing):
>
> ** from the documentation **
> - added templating system for unit bar text:
>
> %n - unit name
> %m - max health
> %h - current health
> %d - health deficit
> %p - health percent
> %l - level
> %c - class

I'd like %d.

> The buffs/debuffs it shows can be filtered - I only show priest buffs
> and magic/disease debuffs. This allows you to see who has your buff in
> one glance (the standard UI only shows 8 buffs, so your buff can be in
> an invisible slot). It also allows you to cure people more easily - if
> it shows a debuff, then I can cure it - hold ctrl and right click on
> the guy and the mod chooses the right cure spell on its own.

Agreed, this is useful. But again, I have two spells for curing poison:
One cures 1 poison debuff, the other one cures 1 poison debuff plus
another one every two seconds over the next 8 seconds. As we were in
ST lately, I had to use the latter one for the first time. I don't
think CastParty will figure that the mobs spam poisons and therefore
select the better cure spell.

> The way the mod works is not by stacking buttons next to the party
> frame (that is BeneCast).

Sorry, my mistake.

> It allows you to configure what mouse clicks
> does on its party frame. Eg. I have set it up like this:
>
> Left click = heal of mods choice
> Shift + left click = target party member
> Right click = shield
> Shift + right click = fortitude buff
> Ctrl + right click = cure (of mods choice)
> Alt + right click = heal over time

Cure of mods choice sounds great, everything else is not of much
use for me.

> If you want to you can also set it up to cast a specific rank of a
> specific spell on some key combination (eg. shift+ctrl+left click =
> greater heal rank 4), and as such it is possible to completely forego
> all of the mods "I choose spell for you" functionality and put all of
> your spells on various keyboard-mouseclick shortcuts (it supports all
> combinations of shift, ctrl, alt and 5 mouse buttons).
> Picture of the setup screen:
> http://www.curse-gaming.com/modscreens.php?id=1688

Thanks, but targetting the player by mouse, choosing the appropriate
healing spell by mind and applying it with the keyboard still seems
better to me.

However, thanks for the rich information! I think I'll have a look at
this mod, but only for 2 things: For displaying the members health
deficit, and for curing stuff. I'm still having the impression that
there's not enough logic behind the "select the appropriate healing
spell" functionality compared to what I can decide depending on the
situation.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (53) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 1, 2005 9:03:05 PM

"Noal McDonald" <dharzhak@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Tell you what, Chris. Take the Pepsi Challenge.

Bring it!

> Set up CastParty & CastParty Options (gui tool for configuring it) from
> FreshMeat and use it for a week with an open mind. If you have
> questions about configurations, ask me and I'll be happy to help. If
> you still don't see the merit in it, cool. But at least you'd have
> experienced it personally and wouldn't be arguing based on
> "impressions."

Ok. As I wrote in another post, I'm going to try it out anyway, because
I like the cure feature along with the "filter debuffs" feature.
Just to point it out again: There seem to be more features in this mod
than I thought, and some of them look useful (customizable party
bars) or even omgineedthis to me (auto-cure). I've always only been
doubting the effectiveness and necessity of that "auto-heal" feature,
which I thought was the only thing this addon does.

Let's make a deal: When I find the "use appropriate healing spell"
useful, I'll tell you guys so and I'll sell this mod to everyone as a
required tool. If not, you'll never call it more than a "nice to have"
again. Deal?

> Cool?

I was born cool.

Chris... *brrrrritssocoldhere*