Question on Wives and Wow

Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time
to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built
and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see
if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account,
but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt
along with her to help her along.

My question is this:

Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into
it?

I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone
has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.

Thanks

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time to
> try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and still
> have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built and
> running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see if she
> likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account, but I
> think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt along with
> her to help her along.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
> win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into it?
>
> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone has
> any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>
> Thanks

AFAIK most women I've seen playing prefer the casting classes, particularly mage
and priest. Tanking just doesn't seem to appeal to them.

My girlfriend oringally played a priestess because she though healing would
be easy (lolz) then found out later it's a bit too complicated for her. She
then went to a hunter and had great success, it was easier since she had a
pet to tank for her and she could use range. Shes about 45 now so it at
least got her into the game and taugher how things work. She actually made
every class she only cared for Hunter and Druid, said they were easy for
her. I'd still say hunter because you know how women are with cute
animals.....

"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time
> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built
> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and
> see if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my
> account, but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started
> an alt along with her to help her along.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days
> to win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her
> into it?
>
> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone
> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>
> Thanks

Andy

Lol......you're lucky.......my wife hates the game and has hinted at
divorce if I don't cut down the hours!!!!
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:18:27 -0400, "Jesse Roos" <rooster5@ptd.net>
wrote:

>My girlfriend oringally played a priestess because she though healing would
>be easy (lolz) then found out later it's a bit too complicated for her. She
>then went to a hunter and had great success, it was easier since she had a
>pet to tank for her and she could use range. Shes about 45 now so it at
>least got her into the game and taugher how things work. She actually made
>every class she only cared for Hunter and Druid, said they were easy for
>her. I'd still say hunter because you know how women are with cute
>animals.....
>
>"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
>> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
>> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time
>> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
>> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built
>> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and
>> see if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my
>> account, but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started
>> an alt along with her to help her along.
>>
>> My question is this:
>>
>> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
>> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days
>> to win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her
>> into it?
>>
>> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone
>> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>>
>> Thanks

Angel

"Andy" <andy.knight6@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Lol......you're lucky.......my wife hates the game and has hinted at
> divorce if I don't cut down the hours!!!!

Ouch, you must be playing alot ;p

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:18:27 -0400, "Jesse Roos" <rooster5@ptd.net>
> wrote:
>
>>My girlfriend oringally played a priestess because she though healing
>>would
>>be easy (lolz) then found out later it's a bit too complicated for her.
>>She
>>then went to a hunter and had great success, it was easier since she had a
>>pet to tank for her and she could use range. Shes about 45 now so it at
>>least got her into the game and taugher how things work. She actually made
>>every class she only cared for Hunter and Druid, said they were easy for
>>her. I'd still say hunter because you know how women are with cute
>>animals.....
>>
>>"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
>>> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has
>>> been
>>> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good
>>> time
>>> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
>>> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer
>>> built
>>> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and
>>> see if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my
>>> account, but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I
>>> started
>>> an alt along with her to help her along.
>>>
>>> My question is this:
>>>
>>> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video
>>> games?
>>> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days
>>> to win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her
>>> into it?
>>>
>>> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if
>>> anyone
>>> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Don't let the door hit ya... :p

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:58:53 -0500, gerbilsWITHrifles said:

> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time
> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built
> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see
> if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account,
> but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt
> along with her to help her along.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
> win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into
> it?
>
> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone
> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>
> Thanks

I'd say druid - tell her she can play as a cat, no... tell her she can play
as a panther and a cheeta.

If that doesn't work tell her she gets to cast the "Pink Paw" buff.

Lol @ Pink Paw - still cracks me up :)

mikel

gerbilsWITHrifles wrote:
> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time
> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built
> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see
> if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account,
> but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt
> along with her to help her along.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
> win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into
> it?
>
> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone
> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.

Set up the machine for her. Do the game install yourself and have it all
ready to go the first time she sits down to try it, so she doesn't have
to sit through the whole tiresome, lengthy patching process.

Be in the same room with her the first time she logs on, and available
to help, but don't help unless she asks for it. When she does ask,
answer her question completely, but don't tell her more than she wants
to know. That way, you let her figure out what she wants to figure out.

Tell her about Normal, RP, and PVP servers, but not until it's time to
pick a server, because before that the concept will be meaningless. What
most new players need to know is this: on RP servers, people expect you
to play your character the way an actor plays a character in a play. On
PVP servers, after level 20, enemy players will attack and kill you
whether you like it or not (but you can do the same to them). She should
pick the kind of server that suits how she wants to play.

Don't try to influence her choice of character class or race. If she
asks, tell her what you know about each of them. Tell her why you like
the ones you like; don't try to tell her she should like them.

When she picks something that looks interesting to her, ask her if she
wants you to create a new character to level up with her. If she
doesn't, then she wants to get to know the game herself. Leave her
alone, but be available to answer questions if she has them

If she does want you to level up with her, ask her what race and class
she would like you to play. It's not only fun for someone to try out a
character, it's also fun to see someone else play something different.

Let her drive. That way she'll find the things she likes. But tell her
your opinion and what you know when she asks.

This is the approach I have used with half a dozen friends and family,
and they are all hopelessly addicted now. :)

gerbilsWITHrifles wrote:
> My question is this:
>
> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
> win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into
> it?

My wife has actually been a gamer for as long as I have, but WoW is her
first MMOG, and only the second time she's ever really felt she had
much choice when creating her characters.

Her favorites are Human Paladin (Alliance) and Tauren Druid (Horde).

She likes the paladin because she can wear any armor, use stong
weapons, and heal when she needs to. I think paladin's a really good
starter class for the same reasons.

She rolled a Night Elf druid at first, but even though she liked the
druid's shape-shifting and healing abilities, she got bored with the
Night Elf quests. (I think the human starting quests are more fun than
the Elf quests, too.) However, she's really digging the Tauren druid
now. She's got all the abilities, with a new setting and an
interesting race. She does have sort of a problem with the Taurens'
allies (because they're evil and ugly)- Tauren is the only Horde race
she'll ever play.

One final note: Once you've got the other PC set up, make sure it's
patched up and performs reasonably well (using your own account) before
she logs on for the first time. Nothing like an eternal patch download
or laggy/buggy performance to kill the mood. Also, install 1GB RAM if
you can. It makes a difference in populated areas.

"mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote in message

<snips>

> Don't try to influence her choice of character class or race. If she asks,
> tell her what you know about each of them. Tell her why you like the ones you
> like; don't try to tell her she should like them.
>
> When she picks something that looks interesting to her, ask her if she wants
> you to create a new character to level up with her. If she doesn't, then she
> wants to get to know the game herself. Leave her alone, but be available to
> answer questions if she has them
>
> If she does want you to level up with her, ask her what race and class she
> would like you to play. It's not only fun for someone to try out a character,
> it's also fun to see someone else play something different.
>
> Let her drive. That way she'll find the things she likes. But tell her your
> opinion and what you know when she asks.

Good stuff, Mikel. You're the Dr. Phil of WoW! ;-P
-Marshall

mikel

Marshall wrote:
> "mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote in message
>
> <snips>
>
>> Don't try to influence her choice of character class or race. If she asks,
>>tell her what you know about each of them. Tell her why you like the ones you
>>like; don't try to tell her she should like them.
>>
>>When she picks something that looks interesting to her, ask her if she wants
>>you to create a new character to level up with her. If she doesn't, then she
>>wants to get to know the game herself. Leave her alone, but be available to
>>answer questions if she has them
>>
>>If she does want you to level up with her, ask her what race and class she
>>would like you to play. It's not only fun for someone to try out a character,
>>it's also fun to see someone else play something different.
>>
>>Let her drive. That way she'll find the things she likes. But tell her your
>>opinion and what you know when she asks.
>

> Good stuff, Mikel. You're the Dr. Phil of WoW! ;-P

I have it on good authority....er...well...on some kind of authority,
anyway...that I'm just a carebear who is ruining the game. :)

Good stuff. Thanks for your post.

> [...]
> tell her what you know about each of them. Tell her why you like the ones
> you like; don't try to tell her she should like them.
>
> When she picks something that looks interesting to her, ask her if she
> wants you to create a new character to level up with her. If she doesn't,
> then she wants to get to know the game herself. Leave her alone, but be
> available to answer questions if she has them
>
> If she does want you to level up with her, ask her what race and class she
> would like you to play. It's not only fun for someone to try out a
> character, it's also fun to see someone else play something different.
>
> Let her drive. That way she'll find the things she likes. But tell her
> your opinion and what you know when she asks.
>
> This is the approach I have used with half a dozen friends and family, and
> they are all hopelessly addicted now. :)

nazgul

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002

gerbilsWITHrifles <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote:

> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
> win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into
> it?

Well, my GF found her dwarven paladin to be most enjoyable... There are
many reasons for this.

1) Paladin is the easiest class to play for those with little skill,
as it is quite forgiving when it comes down to mistakes. There will
be a lot of strategies to explore at the later time, but paladin is
playable from start with little trouble.

2) Paladins are quite difficult to kill, even if your wife won't use
divine shield, blessing of protection and lay on hands... Death causes
grief and edginess.

Personally, my GF loves to tank... But don't ever make a mistake of
explaining her the meaning of tanking. Instead of "Go in there and
take your damage as a good paladin, while rogue and mage are actually
killing the enemy", use "Go in there, and smash them. You can do
it, don't be scared. See those nice guys, that rogue and mage? They
will help you. Just be careful that they don't get killed."

Subtle difference, but it works.

If she wants to go Horde, then go shammie, Tauren if you can. Just
find a subtle way to teach her to use totems :)

Your second best choice would be druids. Somewhat difficult in the
beginning, but no problem if you're in a duo.

Just be prepared for the extraordinary time your wife will be
spending developing her tradeskills... such as continuous
fishing for some Expensive Yellow Fish (TM).

--
Nazgul, via terminal
Visit: http://www.sfmreza.tk

Dump her ass.
"Andy" <andy.knight6@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Lol......you're lucky.......my wife hates the game and has hinted at
> divorce if I don't cut down the hours!!!!
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:18:27 -0400, "Jesse Roos" <rooster5@ptd.net>
> wrote:
>
>>My girlfriend oringally played a priestess because she though healing
>>would
>>be easy (lolz) then found out later it's a bit too complicated for her.
>>She
>>then went to a hunter and had great success, it was easier since she had a
>>pet to tank for her and she could use range. Shes about 45 now so it at
>>least got her into the game and taugher how things work. She actually made
>>every class she only cared for Hunter and Druid, said they were easy for
>>her. I'd still say hunter because you know how women are with cute
>>animals.....
>>
>>"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
>>> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has
>>> been
>>> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good
>>> time
>>> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
>>> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer
>>> built
>>> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and
>>> see if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my
>>> account, but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I
>>> started
>>> an alt along with her to help her along.
>>>
>>> My question is this:
>>>
>>> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video
>>> games?
>>> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days
>>> to win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her
>>> into it?
>>>
>>> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if
>>> anyone
>>> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Kav <nerfthatdruid@druidnerf.com> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:58:53 -0500, gerbilsWITHrifles said:
>
>> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife
>> has been hinting that she would like of her own. I think this
>> would be a good time to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought
>> the collector's edition and still have the 10 day free pass, so I
>> think once I get her computer built and running, I'll let her use
>> the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see if she likes the
>> game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account, but I
>> think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt
>> along with her to help her along.
>>
>> My question is this:
>>
>> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many
>> video games? What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If
>> I have just 10 days to win her over to the dark side, what would
>> be the best way to hook her into it?
>>
>> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if
>> anyone has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read
>> them.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I'd say druid - tell her she can play as a cat, no... tell her she
> can play as a panther and a cheeta.
>
> If that doesn't work tell her she gets to cast the "Pink Paw" buff.
>
> Lol @ Pink Paw - still cracks me up :)

I think from now on, in deference to the WoW Wife who coined the term,
we should include the copyright symbol when using the term Pink Paws©

If you don't know how to make a ©, just hold down 'alt' while typing
0169 on the numeric pad, then release the 'alt' key.

--
Doc

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Doc <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> stared blankly into space for
a short while before writing:
> Kav <nerfthatdruid@druidnerf.com> stared blankly into space for a
> short while before writing:
>> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:58:53 -0500, gerbilsWITHrifles said:
>>
>>> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife
>>> has been hinting that she would like of her own. I think this
>>> would be a good time to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought
>>> the collector's edition and still have the 10 day free pass, so I
>>> think once I get her computer built and running, I'll let her use
>>> the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see if she likes the
>>> game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account, but I
>>> think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt
>>> along with her to help her along.
>>>
>>> My question is this:
>>>
>>> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many
>>> video games? What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If
>>> I have just 10 days to win her over to the dark side, what would
>>> be the best way to hook her into it?
>>>
>>> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if
>>> anyone has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> I'd say druid - tell her she can play as a cat, no... tell her she
>> can play as a panther and a cheeta.
>>
>> If that doesn't work tell her she gets to cast the "Pink Paw" buff.
>>
>> Lol @ Pink Paw - still cracks me up :)
>
> I think from now on, in deference to the WoW Wife who coined the
> term, we should include the copyright symbol when using the term
> Pink Paws©

*sigh* - and of course, the term Pink Paw© :)

Forgive me, I just got out of bed...

> If you don't know how to make a ©, just hold down 'alt' while typing
> 0169 on the numeric pad, then release the 'alt' key.

--
Doc

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:48:13 +0000 (UTC), Andy
<andy.knight6@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Lol......you're lucky.......my wife hates the game and has hinted at
>divorce if I don't cut down the hours!!!!

Well...why not?

> But... I think the choice of priest wound up being a mistake, even
> after 34 levels of experience. It turns out to be a hard class to play:
> many complicated spells, constantly re-targeting on party members
> for healing, lots of complications on healing while avoiding aggro

The CastParty mod from www.curse-gaming.com goes a long, long way
towards making the lives of healers (and the people they're healing)
much easier. By the time you get to Uldaman, you really need to be
using it.

The most recent load is on the FreshMeat site and I've downloaded it
and I'm quite happy with it.

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (34) on Stormrage [PvE]

First, fire up your soulstone (just in case). Then, hit her with
Corruption, Immolate, and Curse of Agony. Then finish her off with your
"all new" rapid fire wand. Usually does the trick...especially if she is
wearing a bathrobe, nightie, or something with low armor.

"Andy" <andy.knight6@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Lol......you're lucky.......my wife hates the game and has hinted at
> divorce if I don't cut down the hours!!!!
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:18:27 -0400, "Jesse Roos" <rooster5@ptd.net>
> wrote:
>
>>My girlfriend oringally played a priestess because she though healing
>>would
>>be easy (lolz) then found out later it's a bit too complicated for her.
>>She
>>then went to a hunter and had great success, it was easier since she had a
>>pet to tank for her and she could use range. Shes about 45 now so it at
>>least got her into the game and taugher how things work. She actually made
>>every class she only cared for Hunter and Druid, said they were easy for
>>her. I'd still say hunter because you know how women are with cute
>>animals.....
>>
>>"gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
>>> Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has
>>> been
>>> hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good
>>> time
>>> to try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and
>>> still have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer
>>> built
>>> and running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and
>>> see if she likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my
>>> account, but I think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I
>>> started
>>> an alt along with her to help her along.
>>>
>>> My question is this:
>>>
>>> Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video
>>> games?
>>> What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days
>>> to win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her
>>> into it?
>>>
>>> I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if
>>> anyone
>>> has any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>>>
>>> Thanks

mikel

Grant wrote:
> "gerbilsWITHrifles" <lactating@sea.monkeys> wrote in message
>
>>Currently we have but one computer in the household, but my wife has been
>>hinting that she would like of her own. I think this would be a good time to
>>try and get her into Warcraft. I bought the collector's edition and still
>>have the 10 day free pass, so I think once I get her computer built and
>>running, I'll let her use the pass (my friends all play anyway) and see if she
>>likes the game. I could, of course, just let her play on my account, but I
>>think the game would be more enjoyable to her if I started an alt along with
>>her to help her along.
>>
>>My question is this:
>>
>>Whats a good class to play for someone who hasn't played many video games?
>>What classes have WoW wives found most enjoyable? If I have just 10 days to
>>win her over to the dark side, what would be the best way to hook her into it?
>>
>>I know these questions will depend alot on her personality, but if anyone has
>>any comments or suggestions, I would be happy to read them.
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> AFAIK most women I've seen playing prefer the casting classes, particularly mage
> and priest. Tanking just doesn't seem to appeal to them.

Not true in my experience. I've played a lot with women players over the
past seven months; there are nine of them that I play with regularly.
Those women play mains that are: two warriors, two rogues, two shamans,
two paladins, a druid. (That set of women, by the way, includes my
68-year-old mother and her sister, and also my two daughters, ages 18
and 23, so perhaps is not representative of the female population of
players as a whole :) ).

One of the warriors is a level 56 arms/fury gnomish warrior with cute
little ponytails and great big axes. :)

> [...]
> tell her what you know about each of them. Tell her why you like the ones
> you like; don't try to tell her she should like them.
>
> When she picks something that looks interesting to her, ask her if she
> wants you to create a new character to level up with her. If she doesn't,
> then she wants to get to know the game herself. Leave her alone, but be
> available to answer questions if she has them
>
> If she does want you to level up with her, ask her what race and class she
> would like you to play. It's not only fun for someone to try out a
> character, it's also fun to see someone else play something different.
>
> Let her drive. That way she'll find the things she likes. But tell her
> your opinion and what you know when she asks.
>
> This is the approach I have used with half a dozen friends and family, and
> they are all hopelessly addicted now. :)

Great post, Mike! I recently was able to get my wife (who doesn't really
play games and never an MMORPG) to start playing WoW. I initially thought
the same way you did, and let her go with whatever class she found
interesting; however, she really liked the idea of a shaman and after a few
levels it turned into a problem because she had problems managing the
multiple aspects of melee, ranged, and totems.

So I suggested she create a warrior, and surprisingly enough she chose a
female troll warrior. I created a male troll warrior to work with her and
taunt things off of her, and it's the funniest thing I've ever seen. My
mild-mannered wife has become the ultimate barbarian and her cries of battle
rage and blood lust echo throughout our house! Because she's so into it
now, I've recommended that she spec 2-handers only and she just loves
cutting her computer opponents down (PvE - role-playing server), and I make
sure that she always has the biggest and baddest 2-handed axes we can find
:) It's a blast and we constantly role-play and flirt in game too ;)

Personally, I wouldn't recommend starting someone without MMORPG experience
on a PvP server. As soon as you hit contested lands, the ganking starts and
nothing is more frustrating to a new player who doesn't understand exactly
what's happening and hasn't mastered the timing and skills required to be
competitive in PvP.

As a side note, I thought about creating a support class (e.g. priest) to
work with my wife's warrior, but I decided that in the higher levels the
warrior really needs to know what they're doing with taunts to protect the
priest. With another warrior, I can focus on shield and taunts and just let
her pound away with glee :)

"news-server.hawaii.rr.com" <bynary@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> loves cutting her computer opponents down (PvE - role-playing server), and
> I make sure that she always has the biggest and baddest 2-handed axes we
> can find :) It's a blast and we constantly role-play and flirt in game
> too ;)
>
> Personally, I wouldn't recommend starting someone without MMORPG
> experience on a PvP server. As soon as you hit contested lands, the
> ganking starts and nothing is more frustrating to a new player who doesn't
> understand exactly what's happening and hasn't mastered the timing and
> skills required to be competitive in PvP.
>
> As a side note, I thought about creating a support class (e.g. priest) to
> work with my wife's warrior, but I decided that in the higher levels the
> warrior really needs to know what they're doing with taunts to protect the
> priest. With another warrior, I can focus on shield and taunts and just

Bah! #$%^ default Outlook Express settings ;)

-Bynary

chocolatemalt wrote:
> all the flack that priests get regarding the effectiveness of their
> healing (especially from the scads of 12- and 15-year-old players
> with zero social skills, a real negative in the WoW universe.)

I've certainly run into my share of idiot zero-social-skill players,
but the one thing I can't recall getting complaints on is my healing,
even when I'm explictly acting as the only group healer. Some
combination of a) my skill, b) luck, and c) "Hey, be glad we have a
healer at all," I suppose, but I'm honestly surprised; Priests are
supposed to be *the* single most-desired group component. Just another
few levels and your girlfriend can start doing Scarlet Monastery, then
Zul'Farrak, then Maraudon, then Sunken Temple, then Blackrock Depths
runs as often as she wants.

--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~ylee/> PERTH ----> *
Cpu(s): 5.9% us, 1.2% sy, 2.9% ni, 88.5% id, 1.5% wa, 0.1% hi, 0.0% si

mikel wrote:

> Not true in my experience. I've played a lot with women players over the
> past seven months; there are nine of them that I play with regularly.
> Those women play mains that are: two warriors, two rogues, two shamans,
> two paladins, a druid. (That set of women, by the way, includes my
> 68-year-old mother and her sister, and also my two daughters, ages 18
> and 23, so perhaps is not representative of the female population of
> players as a whole :) ).

*GASP*
Your mother and her sister play WoW. My mother (soon to turn 50) is
computer savy, and loves her freecell & spider (windows card games), and
I doubt she'll ever get into games that you can't win or loose within 5
minutes.

As for your daughters, are they still single ;-)

> One of the warriors is a level 56 arms/fury gnomish warrior with cute
> little ponytails and great big axes. :)

I don't want to guess which person this is

--
Marsh Lion

mikel

Marsh_lion wrote:
> mikel wrote:
>

>> Not true in my experience. I've played a lot with women players over
>> the past seven months; there are nine of them that I play with
>> regularly. Those women play mains that are: two warriors, two rogues,
>> two shamans, two paladins, a druid. (That set of women, by the way,
>> includes my 68-year-old mother and her sister, and also my two
>> daughters, ages 18 and 23, so perhaps is not representative of the
>> female population of players as a whole :) ).
>

> *GASP*
> Your mother and her sister play WoW. My mother (soon to turn 50) is
> computer savy, and loves her freecell & spider (windows card games), and
> I doubt she'll ever get into games that you can't win or loose within 5
> minutes.
>
> As for your daughters, are they still single ;-)

Down, boy. They are fierce, my daughters.

>> One of the warriors is a level 56 arms/fury gnomish warrior with cute
>> little ponytails and great big axes. :)
>

> I don't want to guess which person this is

None of my relatives. She is a very interesting person, who interrupted
her WOW career in the 50s in order to have a lung transplant. She is one
of my favorite people that I've met in the game.