Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming Mouse Suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 25, 2012 5:19:36 PM

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone could suggest a gaming mouse for my build. It needs to be a good all rounder (good for FPS, RTS, MMORPG etc...) and it needs to have a good solid build, as I want it to last a decent length of time.

Thanks in advance!
July 25, 2012 5:26:06 PM

How many Buttons do you need?
Anything from Razor, Steelseries are particularly good
July 25, 2012 5:27:53 PM

Shockattackr said:
How many Buttons do you need?
Anything from Razor, Steelseries are particularly good

I don't need a large amount of buttons although I'd prefer a few for assigning keys to.
Related resources
July 25, 2012 5:33:20 PM

Mice are pretty much User preference, Currently i am using a WoW MMo mouse on desktop and a Razor laptop mouse for my laptop gaming.

Just check the Manf. website like Razor, Cooler Master, Steel Series, and another good brand is Thermaltake
July 25, 2012 5:42:53 PM

Hand size is something to consider. I have small hands and the wow mouse was too big. How you grip the mouse will also make certain ones much more appealing. I play a wide variety of games and went with the logitech g9x and couldn't be happier.(this is after trying the mx500 rat 7 and wow mouse)
July 25, 2012 5:44:05 PM

I like Logitech myself. I currently use the G700. It's both wired and/or wireless and has 4 thumb and 3 top mounted programmable buttons, in addition to the standard 3 buttons w/ wheel combo. The wheel can also be set to spin freely or advance in notched increments with is another bonus.

Some of the other mice have a ton of buttons, but I don't really need 12 - 16 buttons. If you do need a ton of buttons Logitech just came out with the G600 as well.
July 25, 2012 5:47:06 PM

kalidur said:
I like Logitech myself. I currently use the G700. It's both wired and/or wireless and has 4 thumb and 3 top mounted programmable buttons, in addition to the standard 3 buttons w/ wheel combo. The wheel can also be set to spin freely or advance in notched increments with is another bonus.

Some of the other mice have a ton of buttons, but I don't really need 12 - 16 buttons. If you do need a ton of buttons Logitech just came out with the G600 as well.

What in your opinion are wireless mice like? Do you notice any performance differences? Also what's the battery life like on the G700?
July 25, 2012 5:47:57 PM

Wireless Mice are ok i guess, not a big fan of them for gaming. the response time i find is lacking
July 25, 2012 5:48:21 PM

pedalbike said:
Hand size is something to consider. I have small hands and the wow mouse was too big. How you grip the mouse will also make certain ones much more appealing. I play a wide variety of games and went with the logitech g9x and couldn't be happier.(this is after trying the mx500 rat 7 and wow mouse)

Thanks, I actually didn't consider hand size. Do you have any suggestions for fairly small hands?
July 25, 2012 5:50:50 PM

Shockattackr said:
Wireless Mice are ok i guess, not a big fan of them for gaming. the response time i find is lacking

Which you say it's noticably slower in response time? Like to the extent as to where it could get you killed? (Not IRL of course!)
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 25, 2012 5:52:10 PM

I have a G9, but was just as happy(with the exception to the peeling rubber on the grips) with the MX 518(now discontinued, but the same size and shape as the G400)

As said above, the mouse is a personal preference, I just all around liked the MX 700(wireless MS 500, replaced by 518 then G400). It worked well and was easy to hold for me.

EDIT

I fine wireless mice have got very good. The MX 700 did not seem to have any lag I could tell. I did try some blue tooth mice that seemed to have noticeable lag/interference(2.4 ghz seems to be an issue is some houses) so I just went back to corded.

Logitech's newer mini unifying receiver seems decent(for 2.4ghz), but I have not put it to any hard use.
July 25, 2012 5:53:09 PM

As to response time, its milliseconds
July 25, 2012 5:58:27 PM

XanderThePanda said:
What in your opinion are wireless mice like? Do you notice any performance differences? Also what's the battery life like on the G700?


As far as performance goes, I don't notice a difference in my MMOs wired or wireless with the G700. Unfortunately I can wear out the battery on a weekend session. It's not a big deal, because you can just plug it back in at any time. I typically just leave it plugged in though; my cord setup gives me ample room so it's really not an issue (I don't recall if I have an extension connected or not). So for a typical 3 - 4 hour gaming session battery life isn't an issue. For a 10 - 14 hour MMO weekend marathon, it will need to be plugged in at some point.
July 25, 2012 5:58:59 PM

If anyone can answer this, I am connected to Wi-Fi (I know it's not the best for gaming, but I can't have wires trailing through the house) and so would a 2.4 ghz reciever screw up my connection?
July 25, 2012 6:01:05 PM

if your Router is a Dual Channel router meaning it has two different Bandwidth Channels 2.4ghz and i think 5. somthing ghz channels then no. I am not sure what you meant by Reciever, like a peripheral?
July 25, 2012 6:03:02 PM

Shockattackr said:
if your Router is a Dual Channel router meaning it has two different Bandwidth Channels 2.4ghz and i think 5. somthing ghz channels then no. I am not sure what you meant by Reciever, like a peripheral?

By reciever, I mean like if im using a wireless device, will the wireless connection mess up my internet connection?
July 25, 2012 6:09:13 PM

Thanks guys, Ill be sure to look at some of your suggestions. Cheers
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 25, 2012 6:10:31 PM

Logitech G500. The End.
July 25, 2012 6:12:50 PM

nekulturny said:
Logitech G500. The End.



Ewwwww G5`s are soooooo old though i had one like 8 years ago
July 25, 2012 6:13:39 PM

XanderThePanda said:
If anyone can answer this, I am connected to Wi-Fi (I know it's not the best for gaming, but I can't have wires trailing through the house) and so would a 2.4 ghz reciever screw up my connection?


I'm wireless as well and have no issues. I do have a dual band router but get better signal strength at 2.4ghz so I just leave it there. No issues at all.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 25, 2012 6:28:27 PM

Shockattackr said:
Ewwwww G5`s are soooooo old though i had one like 8 years ago

I said G500 not G5. There is a difference. G500s came out in 2009, you couldn't have had one 8 years ago.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

On the topic of wireless mice. I've had nothing but trouble with them, even expensive ones tend to die in a couple years, I suspect the wireless transmitters themselves are fragile. I would advise going wired, based on my experiences.

As far as mice being old its not like mouse technology has been revolutionized in the last 10 years lol.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 25, 2012 6:57:09 PM

Shockattackr said:
if your Router is a Dual Channel router meaning it has two different Bandwidth Channels 2.4ghz and i think 5. somthing ghz channels then no. I am not sure what you meant by Reciever, like a peripheral?

The mouse should use frequency hopping to avoid interference. Microwave ovens can interfere with any 2.4 ghz stuff too. In general wireless gets better all the time.

It is true that the transmitter/reviver may become less effective over time. That is the reason my MX 700(with Elite keyboard) was retired, but it was used a lot. I think I have never put so much use on a keyboard/mouse as that one.
July 30, 2012 9:07:08 PM

id recommend looking into the Feenix Nascita. i switched to one not too long ago and i love it
July 31, 2012 1:50:21 PM

Razer Deathadder <3
Had it for about a year now, awesome mouse.
Nice quality!
!