Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezes during CPU stress test

Last response: in CPUs
December 6, 2012 8:49:06 PM

Hey there,

I admit that there are a few threads already dealing with this topic, but I could not get a solution for my problem yet.
So here is the scenario:

I am using an Intel i7 990X with a Intel DX58OG board.
Normally everything is running fine, there are no errors while running several check ups like MemTest or BurnIn Test. Even when the CPU is working at 100% the temperatures are fine.
But some specific stress test make the whole system freeze. All 12 threads are immediately at 100% load and the CPU fan is boosting up, while the cursor and everything else are frozen completely. The only thing I can do is to hit the reset button and after doing so I still have around 3 seconds of freeze and then the system restarts.
Could it be possible that there are any mechanisms causing the system to shut down at high load? I do not think this is a thermal issue.

Strange thing is that there is absolutely no overclocking, everything running on default, BIOS is up to date....
As I am using a CPU and mobo from the "Extreme" edition, I could easily raise voltages and stuff, if this would be helpful. But I need your advice with this ;) 

Normally this would not bother me. Well at least I could live with it, but currently I have the same problem while playing some high end games, like Far Cry 3.

Any help would be appreciated,
Dave
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 8:55:43 PM

Do you use the stock cooler and thermal paste?
December 6, 2012 9:16:26 PM

Nah, I am using an Dark Rock Advanced from be quiet. One of the reasons why I think it isn't a thermal issue.
Related resources
December 6, 2012 9:16:46 PM

payturr said:
Do you use the stock cooler and thermal paste?

Nah, I am using an Dark Rock Advanced from be quiet. One of the reasons why I think it isn't a thermal issue.
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 9:20:18 PM

It has to be IMO - it wouldn't freeze up otherwise. Check CPU temps?
December 6, 2012 9:28:33 PM

payturr said:
It has to be IMO - it wouldn't freeze up otherwise. Check CPU temps?

Yes I do. I thought I already mentioned that above, sorry.
Sometimes when the system freezes, the temps did not even hit the 50°C mark. The fans also run at the lowest RPMs, but when freezing, the CPU fan suddenly turns to 100%.
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 9:33:46 PM

Interesting. Very interesting. Did you run any system tests?
December 6, 2012 9:37:12 PM

payturr said:
Interesting. Very interesting. Did you run any system tests?

What kind of tests do you mean? I already mentioned some above, they were all passed. And when a stress tests causes an error, it won't be able to log it, as the whole system is down.
I am watching the temps in real time, with different tools. This is interesting indeed.
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 9:40:07 PM

Tests like you know, if theres an error with your disk or RAM. The CPU is a 50 degrees right now?
December 6, 2012 9:42:15 PM

payturr said:
Tests like you know, if theres an error with your disk or RAM. The CPU is a 50 degrees right now?

The RAM is fine (I tested it :D  ).
While surfing the web, which means while the CPU is idle, the temps are around 30 degrees.
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 9:48:07 PM

IntelDave said:
The RAM is fine (I tested it :D  ).
While surfing the web, which means while the CPU is idle, the temps are around 30 degrees.

Try re-seating the heatsink?
December 6, 2012 9:54:42 PM

payturr said:
Try re-seating the heatsink?

You are a fan of thermal issues, aren't you? :D  Did you get it? Fan?? Haha, omg :pt1cable: 

Alright, maybe I will do so, but the heat pipes are warm, which means the cooler is working as expected.

Just did an other stress test. My system lasted exactly 9 seconds. :/ 
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 10:01:43 PM

xD Can never be too careful. If you have fresh Arctic Silver 5, that would help.
December 6, 2012 10:12:23 PM

payturr said:
xD Can never be too careful. If you have fresh Arctic Silver 5, that would help.

I will do it tomorrow. If it solves the problem, you won my full respect :D 

Oh and I have some Arctic Cooling MX-2. Not even opened. How much of it should I put on the CPU? Maybe it was too much last time?
!