Computer freezes during CPU stress test

Hey there,

I admit that there are a few threads already dealing with this topic, but I could not get a solution for my problem yet.
So here is the scenario:

I am using an Intel i7 990X with a Intel DX58OG board.
Normally everything is running fine, there are no errors while running several check ups like MemTest or BurnIn Test. Even when the CPU is working at 100% the temperatures are fine.
But some specific stress test make the whole system freeze. All 12 threads are immediately at 100% load and the CPU fan is boosting up, while the cursor and everything else are frozen completely. The only thing I can do is to hit the reset button and after doing so I still have around 3 seconds of freeze and then the system restarts.
Could it be possible that there are any mechanisms causing the system to shut down at high load? I do not think this is a thermal issue.

Strange thing is that there is absolutely no overclocking, everything running on default, BIOS is up to date....
As I am using a CPU and mobo from the "Extreme" edition, I could easily raise voltages and stuff, if this would be helpful. But I need your advice with this ;)

Normally this would not bother me. Well at least I could live with it, but currently I have the same problem while playing some high end games, like Far Cry 3.

Any help would be appreciated,
Dave
14 answers Last reply
More about computer freezes stress test
  1. Do you use the stock cooler and thermal paste?
  2. Nah, I am using an Dark Rock Advanced from be quiet. One of the reasons why I think it isn't a thermal issue.
  3. payturr said:
    Do you use the stock cooler and thermal paste?

Nah, I am using an Dark Rock Advanced from be quiet. One of the reasons why I think it isn't a thermal issue.
  4. It has to be IMO - it wouldn't freeze up otherwise. Check CPU temps?
  5. payturr said:
    It has to be IMO - it wouldn't freeze up otherwise. Check CPU temps?

Yes I do. I thought I already mentioned that above, sorry.
    Sometimes when the system freezes, the temps did not even hit the 50°C mark. The fans also run at the lowest RPMs, but when freezing, the CPU fan suddenly turns to 100%.
  6. Interesting. Very interesting. Did you run any system tests?
  7. payturr said:
    Interesting. Very interesting. Did you run any system tests?

What kind of tests do you mean? I already mentioned some above, they were all passed. And when a stress tests causes an error, it won't be able to log it, as the whole system is down.
    I am watching the temps in real time, with different tools. This is interesting indeed.
  8. Tests like you know, if theres an error with your disk or RAM. The CPU is a 50 degrees right now?
  9. payturr said:
    Tests like you know, if theres an error with your disk or RAM. The CPU is a 50 degrees right now?

The RAM is fine (I tested it :D ).
    While surfing the web, which means while the CPU is idle, the temps are around 30 degrees.
  10. IntelDave said:
    The RAM is fine (I tested it :D ).
    While surfing the web, which means while the CPU is idle, the temps are around 30 degrees.

Try re-seating the heatsink?
  11. payturr said:
    Try re-seating the heatsink?

You are a fan of thermal issues, aren't you? :D Did you get it? Fan?? Haha, omg :pt1cable:

Alright, maybe I will do so, but the heat pipes are warm, which means the cooler is working as expected.

Just did an other stress test. My system lasted exactly 9 seconds. :/
  12. xD Can never be too careful. If you have fresh Arctic Silver 5, that would help.
  13. payturr said:
    xD Can never be too careful. If you have fresh Arctic Silver 5, that would help.

I will do it tomorrow. If it solves the problem, you won my full respect :D

Oh and I have some Arctic Cooling MX-2. Not even opened. How much of it should I put on the CPU? Maybe it was too much last time?
  14. IntelDave said:

Oh and I have some Arctic Cooling MX-2. Not even opened. How much of it should I put on the CPU? Maybe it was too much last time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_208226&feature=iv&src_vid=TnyoJtv9Cx0&v=-hNgFNH7zhQ
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Stress Test