New build advice

Tags:
  • New Build
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2012 6:13:44 PM

Hi everyone,

I am looking to fulfill a dream of building my own system. Never got round to it before and going to try my luck. After a few weeks of research I still cant decide between IB or SB-E. I am looking to invest up to 2000 dollars without a screen. Since the beginning of looking into it I have felt that a nice IB system would leave me feeling that something was missing due to it lacking quad channel memory and 40 pci-e lanes... compared to SB-E.

I am looking to invest within the next month. The main purpose of the system would be gaming. Any help is appreciated.

i7 3820

Asus Sabertooth X79

Corsair 16GB 1866MHz DDR3

1 x GeForce GTX 670 (plan to add a second in a years time)

Corsair Obsidian 650D Mid Tower case

Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SATA SSD

WD Caviar Black 500 GB HDD

Pioneer BD-RW

Corsair H70 liquid cooling

I am no expert but from my research I gather that this is leaning heavily towards a system for overclockers (which I might do a bit of but not much) but I want the system to last me 3 to 4 years so isnt a motherboard and CPU that can handle more better for that? I don't want to throw money away though if it really is over the top so please let me know your thoughts.

If you do feel I should go for IB, what would your Motherboard recommendation be? I prefer the Asus line but can't really find a Z77 MB that grabs me like the X79 Rampage IV Extreme or X79 Sabertooth.

It just seems that the 'older' X79 and 2011 technology is just that much better than the newer Z77 and 1155 tech.

Thanks.

More about : build advice

July 25, 2012 6:15:27 PM

For Gaming, IB > SB-E.
!