WoW dual wield

Anybody have the details on how dual wield is beneficial to hold two
weapons? The only thing I've found is the offhand weapon deals half damage.

Does it change attack rate effectively? As a rogue are there combos for it?

--

Taffy is delicious.
23 answers Last reply

    "flame_thrower" <skankyxwhore400@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Anybody have the details on how dual wield is beneficial to hold two
    > weapons? The only thing I've found is the offhand weapon deals half damage.
    >
    > Does it change attack rate effectively? As a rogue are there combos for it?

    Each hand will swing when it's delay is up, resulting in almost twice the
    number of attacks. But as Matt posted, the off hand weapon will only do 50%
    damage (before talent increases) and both hands will miss more often.

    When all things are said and done, dual wielding two equal level weapons
    should result in about 120% of the damage of using a single weapon and a
    shield, and even to the damage done by an equal level two handed weapon.

    --
    Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

    "We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
    minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
    in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
    quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
    asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
    even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.

    "flame_thrower" <skankyxwhore400@charter.net> schreef in bericht
    > Anybody have the details on how dual wield is beneficial to hold two
    > weapons? The only thing I've found is the offhand weapon deals half
    damage.

    > Does it change attack rate effectively? As a rogue are there combos for
    it?

    Well I got a rogue and she uses deadly poison with it. with my two weapons
    with deadly poison, it goes to max dmg over time in like nothing (using a
    fast weapon on offhand). Don't know if other classes have some benefits as
    well.

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:55:06 -0400, "flame_thrower"
    <skankyxwhore400@charter.net> scribed into the ether:

    >Anybody have the details on how dual wield is beneficial to hold two
    >weapons? The only thing I've found is the offhand weapon deals half damage.

    Both weapons are given a +17% chance to miss over using a single weapon.

    >Does it change attack rate effectively?

    Yes. Dual wielded weapons are slightly slower than their listed speed while
    dual wielded. I don't know the exact formula for that.

    > As a rogue are there combos for it?

    Combos? No, but as a rogue you have a number of talents for overcoming the
    drawbacks inherent to dualing. You can bring the offhand weapon damage up
    to normal, and offset the increased miss chance. If you use one of the
    weapon type specializations, and use 2 of the same kind of weapon, then you
    are greatly increasing your chance of the specialization effect (like
    stuns, for maces) going off.

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:49:05 GMT, Matt Frisch said:

    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:55:06 -0400, "flame_thrower"
    > <skankyxwhore400@charter.net> scribed into the ether:
    >
    >>Anybody have the details on how dual wield is beneficial to hold two
    >>weapons? The only thing I've found is the offhand weapon deals half damage.
    >
    > Both weapons are given a +17% chance to miss over using a single weapon.
    >
    >>Does it change attack rate effectively?
    >
    > Yes. Dual wielded weapons are slightly slower than their listed speed while
    > dual wielded. I don't know the exact formula for that.
    >
    >> As a rogue are there combos for it?
    >
    > Combos? No, but as a rogue you have a number of talents for overcoming the
    > drawbacks inherent to dualing. You can bring the offhand weapon damage up
    > to normal, and offset the increased miss chance. If you use one of the
    > weapon type specializations, and use 2 of the same kind of weapon, then you
    > are greatly increasing your chance of the specialization effect (like
    > stuns, for maces) going off.

    I thought you could only bring the offhand weapon up to 75% of max at most?

    "Kav" <nerfthatdruid@druidnerf.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:49:05 GMT, Matt Frisch said:
    >

    > > Combos? No, but as a rogue you have a number of talents for overcoming the
    > > drawbacks inherent to dualing. You can bring the offhand weapon damage up
    > > to normal, and offset the increased miss chance. If you use one of the
    > > weapon type specializations, and use 2 of the same kind of weapon, then
    you
    > > are greatly increasing your chance of the specialization effect (like
    > > stuns, for maces) going off.
    >
    > I thought you could only bring the offhand weapon up to 75% of max at most?

    Rogues training dual wield specialization get +10% per talent point, to a max
    of 5 points. 50+50 = 100%.

    IIRC, it's warriors that only get +5% per talent point. For 50+25 = 75%.

    --
    Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

    "We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
    minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
    in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
    quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
    asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
    even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:37:11 -0400, "Davian"
    <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:

    >Rogues training dual wield specialization get +10% per talent point, to a max
    >of 5 points. 50+50 = 100%.

    Nope:

    Dual Wield Specialization - 5/5 points
    Increases the damage done by your offhand weapon by 50%.

    Off hand damage starts at 50%, with the talent at 5/5 you raise it to
    150% of 50% = 75%.

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    Simon Nejmann wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:37:11 -0400, "Davian"
    > <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Rogues training dual wield specialization get +10% per talent point,
    >> to a max of 5 points. 50+50 = 100%.
    >
    > Nope:
    >
    > Dual Wield Specialization - 5/5 points
    > Increases the damage done by your offhand weapon by 50%.
    >
    > Off hand damage starts at 50%, with the talent at 5/5 you raise it to
    > 150% of 50% = 75%.

    Could go either way. 50% of the damage you're doing, or 50% of the full
    weapon damage? It's difficult to say.

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:26:55 -0400, "sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com>
    wrote:

    >Simon Nejmann wrote:
    >> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:37:11 -0400, "Davian"
    >> <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Rogues training dual wield specialization get +10% per talent point,
    >>> to a max of 5 points. 50+50 = 100%.
    >>
    >> Nope:
    >>
    >> Dual Wield Specialization - 5/5 points
    >> Increases the damage done by your offhand weapon by 50%.
    >>
    >> Off hand damage starts at 50%, with the talent at 5/5 you raise it to
    >> 150% of 50% = 75%.
    >
    >Could go either way. 50% of the damage you're doing, or 50% of the full
    >weapon damage? It's difficult to say.

    Hmm, ok if you say so...
    Here's some stuff backing me up: Rogue FAQ v4.1
    <http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-rogue&t=7&p=1&tmp=1#post7>

    **
    Q: How does the off-hand damage penalty work? How is it affected by
    the dual wield spec talent?

    A: The off-hand normally just does 50% of what it normally would do.
    So:
    (Weapon DPS + Attack Power DPS Bonus) * 0.5

    WIth the dual wield spec 5/5, the off-hand does 75% damage, so just
    subtitute 0.75 for 0.5.

    The tooltip for the off-hand was previously bugged, causing numbers
    which did not make sense. If you had the talent, a weapon would be
    listed as doing more damage in your off-hand than in your main. Some
    data posted prior to the tooltip fix suggested that the tooltip was
    bugged. The change to the tooltip seems to confirm this.
    **

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    Simon Nejmann wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:26:55 -0400, "sanjian" <sanjian@widomaker.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Simon Nejmann wrote:

    >>> Nope:
    >>>
    >>> Dual Wield Specialization - 5/5 points
    >>> Increases the damage done by your offhand weapon by 50%.
    >>>
    >>> Off hand damage starts at 50%, with the talent at 5/5 you raise it
    >>> to 150% of 50% = 75%.
    >>
    >> Could go either way. 50% of the damage you're doing, or 50% of the
    >> full weapon damage? It's difficult to say.
    >
    > Hmm, ok if you say so...

    And I do. Based on what you had written, with no citations, links, or
    references, it was difficult to say. Adding new information does not change
    that fact, only casts -new- light on the issue.

    > Here's some stuff backing me up: Rogue FAQ v4.1
    > http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-rogue&t=7&p=1&tmp=1#post7

    Hmm... I notice that it's on a FAQ, and not from a blue. I tend to consider
    that "the best information we have at the time" or the most likely
    conjecture. I've seen enough confusing, conflicting, or just plain wrong
    FAQs over time to call it certain. I recall the fights the "experts" had
    over how taunt works in EQ.

    Davian wrote:
    > "flame_thrower" <skankyxwhore400@charter.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Anybody have the details on how dual wield is beneficial to hold two
    >>weapons? The only thing I've found is the offhand weapon deals half damage.
    >>
    >>Does it change attack rate effectively? As a rogue are there combos for it?
    >>

    > Each hand will swing when it's delay is up, resulting in almost twice the
    > number of attacks. But as Matt posted, the off hand weapon will only do 50%
    > damage (before talent increases) and both hands will miss more often.
    >
    > When all things are said and done, dual wielding two equal level weapons
    > should result in about 120% of the damage of using a single weapon and a
    > shield, and even to the damage done by an equal level two handed weapon.

    There are "combos" with warriors beyond the dual wield mastery. Just
    have a look at the fury tree: the Flurry talent gives an attack speed
    boost whenever you score a critical. As far as I know, critical hits
    cannot miss, so when you dual-wield you do basically twice as many
    critical hits, resulting, for example with flurry, in 30% more attack
    speed... and 30% more critical hits ;)

    Say you have 10% base chance to crit every 2 seconds with talents, your
    effective chance to crit becomes something like 20% crits every 2
    seconds, procing flurry, and improving chance to crit to something like
    26% every 2 seconds...

    ....and if you spec in fury/arms, you can get improved overpower on top
    of that, giving you about 50% chance to crit every 5 seconds (because
    let's face it, you hit so quickly that your opponent will get a dodge at
    least once every 5-6 seconds), and with berzerker stance + impale + deep
    wounds + improved cleave + unbridled wrath, you can merrily crit cleaves
    all day long :P

    Don't get me started on a dual wielding troll fury warrior, should the
    enemy get a crit on you, you end up litterally filling the screen with
    BIG numbers.

    But that's just theory :P

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:02:40 +0200, Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com>
    scribed into the ether:

    >Davian wrote:
    >> "flame_thrower" <skankyxwhore400@charter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Anybody have the details on how dual wield is beneficial to hold two
    >>>weapons? The only thing I've found is the offhand weapon deals half damage.
    >>>
    >>>Does it change attack rate effectively? As a rogue are there combos for it?
    >>>

    >> Each hand will swing when it's delay is up, resulting in almost twice the
    >> number of attacks. But as Matt posted, the off hand weapon will only do 50%
    >> damage (before talent increases) and both hands will miss more often.
    >>
    >> When all things are said and done, dual wielding two equal level weapons
    >> should result in about 120% of the damage of using a single weapon and a
    >> shield, and even to the damage done by an equal level two handed weapon.
    >>

    >There are "combos" with warriors beyond the dual wield mastery. Just
    >have a look at the fury tree: the Flurry talent gives an attack speed
    >boost whenever you score a critical. As far as I know, critical hits
    >cannot miss, so when you dual-wield you do basically twice as many
    >critical hits, resulting, for example with flurry, in 30% more attack
    >speed... and 30% more critical hits ;)

    Not so sure about the basis there. A critical hit of course always hits,
    but first it needs to be a hit before it can become critical.

    1) Swing attempted.
    2) Does it hit? Yes/No
    2a)No = Miss
    2b)Yes = Is it a crit? Yes/No
    2bi)No = Normal Damage
    2bii)Yes = Critical Damage.

    You seem to be postulating:
    1) Swing Attempted
    2) Is it a critical? Yes/No
    2a) Yes = Critical damage
    2b) No = Does it hit? Yes/No
    2bi) Yes = Normal Damage
    2bii) No = Miss

    Matt Frisch a écrit :
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:02:40 +0200, Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com>
    > scribed into the ether:
    >
    > >Davian wrote:
    > >> "flame_thrower" <skankyxwhore400@charter.net> wrote in message

    > >> Each hand will swing when it's delay is up, resulting in almost twice the
    > >> number of attacks. But as Matt posted, the off hand weapon will only do 50%
    > >> damage (before talent increases) and both hands will miss more often.
    > >>
    > >> When all things are said and done, dual wielding two equal level weapons
    > >> should result in about 120% of the damage of using a single weapon and a
    > >> shield, and even to the damage done by an equal level two handed weapon.
    > >>

    > >There are "combos" with warriors beyond the dual wield mastery. Just
    > >have a look at the fury tree: the Flurry talent gives an attack speed
    > >boost whenever you score a critical. As far as I know, critical hits
    > >cannot miss, so when you dual-wield you do basically twice as many
    > >critical hits, resulting, for example with flurry, in 30% more attack
    > >speed... and 30% more critical hits ;)
    >
    > Not so sure about the basis there. A critical hit of course always hits,
    > but first it needs to be a hit before it can become critical.
    >
    > 1) Swing attempted.
    > 2) Does it hit? Yes/No
    > 2a)No = Miss
    > 2b)Yes = Is it a crit? Yes/No
    > 2bi)No = Normal Damage
    > 2bii)Yes = Critical Damage.
    >
    > You seem to be postulating:
    > 1) Swing Attempted
    > 2) Is it a critical? Yes/No
    > 2a) Yes = Critical damage
    > 2b) No = Does it hit? Yes/No
    > 2bi) Yes = Normal Damage
    > 2bii) No = Miss

    "As far as I know", yes. I'm not sure. I read that somewhere. Hit/miss
    is related to attack rating vs defence rating. So is
    crit/crushing/normal. Try that with a rogue, for example. Cold blood (I
    think that's the one that guarantees a crit) + any attack. See if it
    ever misses.

    Update: oh, I've just found this blue post:

    http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-blizzard-archive-en&t=15&p=1&tmp=1#post15

    (http://tinyurl.com/cclup)

    Depending on how you read it, crits always crit, and never miss (that's
    how I read it, but I could be wrong).

    Jack D a écrit :
    > On 2005-06-28 13:03:50 +0200, "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> said:
    >
    > > Update: oh, I've just found this blue post:
    > >
    > > http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-blizzard-archive-en&t
    > > =15&p=1&tmp=1#post15
    > >
    > > (http://tinyurl.com/cclup)
    > >
    > > Depending on how you read it, crits always crit, and never miss (that's
    > > how I read it, but I could be wrong).
    >
    > As I interpret the post, the game sets the three percentages (%Miss
    > %Hit %Crit) and puts them on a 100% bar, it then rolls and selects the
    > relevant attack type.
    >
    > In the example (15% Miss, 60% Hit, 25% Crit), you'd get for a /random 100 :
    > 1-15 : Miss
    > 16-75 : Hit
    > 76-100 : Crit
    >
    > > Try that with a rogue, for example. Cold blood (I think that's the one
    > > that guarantees a crit) + any attack. See if it ever misses.
    >
    > I don't know if Cold Blood's +100% to crit, actually doubles the Crit%
    > or adds 100% to it, but let's assume the latter. When you look at the
    > formula the +% To Crit is subtracted from the %Hit and doesnt influence
    > the %Miss chance. Based on the above %'s, I'd expect Cold Blood to
    > change them to:
    > (15% Miss, 0% Hit, 85% Crit)
    >
    > So the Miss% remains the same.

    Ok. So back to the dual-wield discussion, you get a +20% chance to miss
    when dual-wielding.

    one-weapon setup:
    5% chance to miss
    90% chance to hit
    5% chance to crit
    speed: 0.5 attacks/sec (for example)

    Over 40 seconds, that's:
    1 miss
    18 hits
    1 crit

    dual-wield setup:
    25% chance to miss
    70% chance to hit
    5% chance to crit
    speed: 1 attack/sec (for example)

    Over 40 seconds, that's:
    8 miss
    30 hits
    2 crits

    So unless you have more than 75% chance to crit, dual wielding doubles
    the amount of critical hits (which matches the feeling I get with my
    level 29 fury warrior).

    David Carson a écrit :
    > Babe Bridou wrote:
    > > "As far as I know", yes. I'm not sure. I read that somewhere.
    > > Hit/miss is related to attack rating vs defence rating. So is
    > > crit/crushing/normal. Try that with a rogue, for example. Cold blood
    > > (I think that's the one that guarantees a crit) + any attack. See if
    > > it ever misses.
    >
    > Trust me, it does. :-(
    >
    > Cheers!
    > David...

    /comfort David

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:18:13 GMT, Matt Frisch
    <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

    >Not so sure about the basis there. A critical hit of course always hits,
    >but first it needs to be a hit before it can become critical.

    Yep.
    Blue post tells us:
    <http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-blizzard-archive-en&t=15&p=1&tmp=1#post15>

    **
    motive has shared some details on the calculations of hit and crit
    chances:

    part 1

    The way WoW calculates crit rate is over ALL attacks. Crit rate is not
    based on hits only. In other words, if you have a 5% crit rate, that
    5% chance includes misses.

    All crit rate adjusting abilities, items, and talents add the flat %
    to the base % crit rate. So if I have a 5% base crit rate and then use
    an item or talent that increases that crit rate (let's use Improved
    Backstab talent for example - +30% crit), my new crit with backstab is
    35%.

    Regarding how defense decreases the rate of critical strikes, each
    point of defense that a target has over the attacker, the attacker
    loses 0.04% chance to crit. So, for example, if a level 60 Rogue is
    attacking a level 60 Warrior who has 25 defense, the rogue's crit rate
    will be decreased by 1%.

    part 2

    +toHit items subtract from your miss%.

    So, ignoring all defensive actions (Block/Parry/Dodge/etc..) if I have
    20% crit chance, 20% miss chance, and 60% hit chance and I equip an
    item that gives me +5% toHit and +5% crit, my stats become 25% crit,
    15% miss chance, 60% hit chance.

    New hit chance = (Original hit%) + (toHit modifiers) - (crit
    modifiers)
    60% + 5% - 5% = 60%

    New crit chance = (Original crit%) + (crit modifiers)
    20% + 5% = 25%

    New miss chance - (Original miss%) - (toHit modifiers)
    20% - 5% = 15%
    **

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    On 2005-06-28 13:03:50 +0200, "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> said:

    > Update: oh, I've just found this blue post:
    >
    > http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-blizzard-archive-en&t
    > =15&p=1&tmp=1#post15
    >
    > (http://tinyurl.com/cclup)
    >
    > Depending on how you read it, crits always crit, and never miss (that's
    > how I read it, but I could be wrong).

    As I interpret the post, the game sets the three percentages (%Miss
    %Hit %Crit) and puts them on a 100% bar, it then rolls and selects the
    relevant attack type.

    In the example (15% Miss, 60% Hit, 25% Crit), you'd get for a /random 100 :
    1-15 : Miss
    16-75 : Hit
    76-100 : Crit

    > Try that with a rogue, for example. Cold blood (I think that's the one
    > that guarantees a crit) + any attack. See if it ever misses.

    I don't know if Cold Blood's +100% to crit, actually doubles the Crit%
    or adds 100% to it, but let's assume the latter. When you look at the
    formula the +% To Crit is subtracted from the %Hit and doesnt influence
    the %Miss chance. Based on the above %'s, I'd expect Cold Blood to
    change them to:
    (15% Miss, 0% Hit, 85% Crit)

    So the Miss% remains the same.
    --
    http://www.new-roots.com/
    Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 55 - Bloodscalp EU

    "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > There are "combos" with warriors beyond the dual wield mastery. Just
    > have a look at the fury tree: the Flurry talent gives an attack speed
    > boost whenever you score a critical. As far as I know, critical hits
    > cannot miss, so when you dual-wield you do basically twice as many
    > critical hits, resulting, for example with flurry, in 30% more attack
    > speed... and 30% more critical hits ;)

    Yes, they will get more flurrys. But the flurrys themselves won't mean as
    much, since they will have the increased miss rate, and off hand swings (for
    50% damage) will still count against your fast swings.

    (If the recent changes to flurry make this not true, then ignore me. I
    forget exactly what they changed about that skill, and I'm not motivated
    enough to look it up :) )

    --
    Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

    "We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
    minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
    in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
    quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
    asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
    even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.

    On 28 Jun 2005 04:03:50 -0700, "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com>
    scribed into the ether:

    >Matt Frisch a écrit :
    >> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:02:40 +0200, Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com>
    >> scribed into the ether:
    >> >There are "combos" with warriors beyond the dual wield mastery. Just
    >> >have a look at the fury tree: the Flurry talent gives an attack speed
    >> >boost whenever you score a critical. As far as I know, critical hits
    >> >cannot miss, so when you dual-wield you do basically twice as many
    >> >critical hits, resulting, for example with flurry, in 30% more attack
    >> >speed... and 30% more critical hits ;)
    >>
    >> Not so sure about the basis there. A critical hit of course always hits,
    >> but first it needs to be a hit before it can become critical.
    >>
    >> 1) Swing attempted.
    >> 2) Does it hit? Yes/No
    >> 2a)No = Miss
    >> 2b)Yes = Is it a crit? Yes/No
    >> 2bi)No = Normal Damage
    >> 2bii)Yes = Critical Damage.
    >>
    >> You seem to be postulating:
    >> 1) Swing Attempted
    >> 2) Is it a critical? Yes/No
    >> 2a) Yes = Critical damage
    >> 2b) No = Does it hit? Yes/No
    >> 2bi) Yes = Normal Damage
    >> 2bii) No = Miss
    >

    >Update: oh, I've just found this blue post:
    >
    >http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-blizzard-archive-en&t=15&p=1&tmp=1#post15
    >
    >(http://tinyurl.com/cclup)
    >
    >Depending on how you read it, crits always crit, and never miss (that's
    >how I read it, but I could be wrong).

    That is some funky math indeed. From the formula at the bottom, notice how
    the +crit chance is subtracted from the "Hit" chance.

    I guess both of the above scenarios are wrong. The actual method the game
    uses is:

    1) Swing Attempted
    2) Is it a Miss/Hit/Crit?
    Miss: No damage.
    Hit: Damage
    Crit: Crit Damage

    There is another oddity in that formula...if you want to have a very
    crit-intensive build, then you really really want to avoid getting +hit
    chance items, because they will actually directly subtract from the rate at
    which you get crits.

    I guess the system works, but geeze, that just seems like a really bizarre
    way of doing it.

    Babe Bridou wrote:
    > "As far as I know", yes. I'm not sure. I read that somewhere.
    > Hit/miss is related to attack rating vs defence rating. So is
    > crit/crushing/normal. Try that with a rogue, for example. Cold blood
    > (I think that's the one that guarantees a crit) + any attack. See if
    > it ever misses.

    Trust me, it does. :-(

    Cheers!
    David...

    Matt Frisch wrote:
    > That is some funky math indeed. From the formula at the bottom, notice how
    > the +crit chance is subtracted from the "Hit" chance.
    >
    > I guess both of the above scenarios are wrong. The actual method the game
    > uses is:
    >
    > 1) Swing Attempted
    > 2) Is it a Miss/Hit/Crit?
    > Miss: No damage.
    > Hit: Damage
    > Crit: Crit Damage
    >
    > There is another oddity in that formula...if you want to have a very
    > crit-intensive build, then you really really want to avoid getting +hit
    > chance items, because they will actually directly subtract from the rate at
    > which you get crits.
    >
    > I guess the system works, but geeze, that just seems like a really bizarre
    > way of doing it.

    I think +hit modifies your chance to miss - funkier that way ;)

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:33:17 +0200, Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com>
    scribed into the ether:

    >Matt Frisch wrote:
    >> That is some funky math indeed. From the formula at the bottom, notice how
    >> the +crit chance is subtracted from the "Hit" chance.
    >>
    >> I guess both of the above scenarios are wrong. The actual method the game
    >> uses is:
    >>
    >> 1) Swing Attempted
    >> 2) Is it a Miss/Hit/Crit?
    >> Miss: No damage.
    >> Hit: Damage
    >> Crit: Crit Damage
    >>
    >> There is another oddity in that formula...if you want to have a very
    >> crit-intensive build, then you really really want to avoid getting +hit
    >> chance items, because they will actually directly subtract from the rate at
    >> which you get crits.
    >>
    >> I guess the system works, but geeze, that just seems like a really bizarre
    >> way of doing it.
    >
    >I think +hit modifies your chance to miss - funkier that way ;)

    Hmm, so what happens if you get +30% or so of to-hit? You can't exceed 100%
    on all possibilities, so those percentages have to come from somewhere. Or
    perhaps it is capped. Or +crit takes precedence...

    ie: I have a 30% crit rate. No matter how much hit rate I have, crit can
    never be less than 30%, so with the built-in minimum of a 5% miss rate, any
    +hit items past 65% are wasted.

    Jack D wrote:
    > I don't know if Cold Blood's +100% to crit, actually doubles the Crit%
    > or adds 100% to it, but let's assume the latter. When you look at the
    > formula the +% To Crit is subtracted from the %Hit and doesnt influence
    > the %Miss chance. Based on the above %'s, I'd expect Cold Blood to
    > change them to:
    > (15% Miss, 0% Hit, 85% Crit)

    Sounds about right. Cold Blood sometimes misses, but it never hits
    without critting.

    Cheers!
    David...

    On 2005-06-29 10:13:47 +0200, Matt Frisch
    <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> said:

    > ie: I have a 30% crit rate. No matter how much hit rate I have, crit can
    > never be less than 30%, so with the built-in minimum of a 5% miss rate, any
    > +hit items past 65% are wasted.

    Indeed. To recap formula:

    Miss Chance = (Original Miss Chance) - (+Hit%)
    Hit Chance = (Original Hit Chance) + (+Hit%) - (+Crit%)
    Crit Chance = (Original Crit Chance) + (+Crit%)

    If the sum of the original chances is 100%, it will remain 100%. As
    each value has a lower limit (0% for %hit, 5% for %miss), there is a
    cap to all the +% items.

    +crit% > (Original Hit Chance) + (+Hit%) is purged
    +hit% > (Original Miss Chance) - 5% is purged

    Visually, +hit% will move the point between the miss and the hit region
    and +crit% will move the point between the hit and the crit region.
    --
    http://www.new-roots.com/
    Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 55 - Bloodscalp EU
    Gwar - Orcish Warrior lvl 10 - Bloodscalp EU
    Chasey - Undead Priest lvl 19 - Bloodscalp EU

Games Warcraft World Of Warcraft Video Games