Sign in with
Your question

Will an FX-6300 Bottleneck a GTX 650 Ti?

Last response: in CPUs
December 6, 2012 9:37:57 PM

Hello,

I'm very new to computer gaming, but have developed a pretty strong WoW addiction. My current system won't run Mists worth a flip and I'm currently on a site where I can build my own system. I've been reading up on various setups and I've managed to finagle one into my price range with an FX-6300 (not overclocked) with a Nvidia GTX 650 Ti video card. I'm not sure if the CPU will bottleneck it though, or if I should opt for at least a 10% overclock just to make sure.

The only game I'll really be playing is WoW and maybe some D3 or Assassin's Creed 3 down the road, but mostly just WoW for now.

I need to get at least medium-high settings. I'm not an FPS buff because I'm used to getting about 15 fps out of the game since my current system is so horrbile (Macbook...go figure). So it's not going to take very much to impress me.

I just want to make sure I won't get bottlenecked and have spent the extra money on a better GPU for nothing. Thanks in advance :) 
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 10:16:07 PM

That CPU will never bottle neck that 650 Ti. I would still recommend getting either a phenom II x4 965, or spending the extra money on a FX 8350. A 965 would be enough for wow and D3, and wouldn't ever bottle neck any card in that tier. I've never played Assassin's creed on PC so I can't speak for that.
Normally I'd recommend you buy a 7850 instead assuming space and power isn't an issue, but since blizzard's games like Nvidia so much better, the 650 Ti would be a better way to go. It's a good little card any time.
m
l
December 6, 2012 11:37:38 PM

Thanks for reply, Mace. I've been getting kind of mixed reviews of the FX-6300...The minute I mention it everybody just jumps on me to buy an intel i5 instead so i can't really get an accurate reading of whether or not it's any good.

But if the setup I posted can get at least decent fps on medium-high settings on Mists of Pandaria, I'll be a happy camper.
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2012 2:25:59 AM

Should run great ^_^.
m
l
December 7, 2012 2:41:56 AM

Thanks for the answers guys. If there's anything else I should know please tell me.
m
l
a c 93 à CPUs
December 7, 2012 2:57:06 AM

Just throwing it out there:

You'll be able to get way better parts for cheaper if you build your own computer.

It's actually not very hard - think LEGOs for grown-ups. A 30 minute youtube video will give you all you need to know. (Especially if you go back and watch it as you build, pausing for each step.)
m
l
December 7, 2012 3:35:36 AM

Well... What is the rest of your computer? Power supply? Those should be fine all in all, 6300 will be fine for the 650 no matter what.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 6:20:35 PM

the 6300 does just fine i love mine and you can over clock it like crazy
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2012 5:28:25 PM

It will be a very well balance system and should do fine with WoW.
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:22:16 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys, looks like that's the route I'm going to go. I'll be back if there's anything else I want to add, thanks so much. :) 
m
l
December 11, 2012 11:54:14 PM

6300 is a great CPU... The way people go on about them you'd think they were dog turds that can't power a pc at all.

It's a great processor, mine handles everything I throw at it like a champ. AMD gets a lot of flack in general but there is no reason for it really. I've got nothing but love for the FX series.

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 8:22:01 PM

People do bash on the FX series to hard.
m
l
a c 134 à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 12, 2012 8:38:31 PM

well the fx series is alright but for the money intel just blows em out of the water, i used to like amd but they have fallen behind alot, they need to come out with a cpu chip that tromps intels mainstream cpus,

also yes fx series isnt as bad as they say,

and your graphic card wont get bottlenecked, also id recommand a 660 oc if you can afford it as its much faster.

m
l
December 14, 2012 11:15:19 AM

I have my AMD FX-6300 OC to 4.6 GHz on a closed water loop Antec 620 cooler and the temps for now are good around 55c max when gaming hits about 59 to 60c when benching on cinebench, but thats the coolers fault since its not great but il be upgrading to my own custom CPU loop system soon, and the people you mention earlier when asking for advice for the FX-6300 sound like typical Intel fan boys lol, they all told me to go intel i5 also when i asked was it worth upgrading from my FX-8120, theres no point in paying $220 for a cpu (I5 2500k sandybridge) that theres only little diffrence in performance, I rather save that extra cash for a good GPU!!!
m
l
December 14, 2012 4:23:28 PM

Coincidence maybe - but I have this exact setup. I have the FX-6300 OC'd to ~4.3 GHz on air and the GTX 650 TI SSC edition. I have played AC3 since it came free with the GPU. FRAPS says I get ~45 fps with all settings on MAX. The GPU is the bottleneck for this game since it hits 100% load when I play AC3. For AC3, the CPU is nowhere near full load.

I am quite happy with the FX-6300 and I am still looking to get to 4.4 GHz with overclocking...

Let me know if you have other specific questions about this configuration.
m
l
a c 134 à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 15, 2012 3:07:24 AM

eh still for the money u cant go wrong, 205$ for a fast cpu at stock thats faster than a 4.3 gigahertz fx, in most benchmarks and apps, :) 
m
l
!