Your question

Need an opinion from someone who has used an fx 6100 AND phenom ii 965

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 6, 2012 9:57:58 PM

preferably at stock speeds.

Some questions:
1. Which did you prefer and why?
2. Which was better in gaming? In multitasking?
3. What are some strengths and weaknesses of both?

I have seen a great number of good reviews for the 6100 saying, "Don't listen to the people calling this 'faildozer'. You have to take it for a spin yourself to see what this can do." Basically lots of reviews that oppose what seems to be the generally accepted idea that Bulldozer is junk.

I have even seen videos of people with the same video card (560 ti) getting 50-60 fps on BF3 multiplayer 1080p on ultra settings (while recording with fraps) with the 6100 at stock speeds, while the phenom barely manages to chug along at 30. Same with Skyrim AND Witcher 2.

Nevertheless, I know the phenom ii x4 965 is a tried and true budget cpu, with innumerable fantastic reviews, and I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt depending on what I hear from you guys in this thread.

So I'm looking for someone who has first hand experience with both of these processors and can give an honest and accurate judgement of how they compare to each other.
December 7, 2012 2:47:18 AM

rolli59 said:
Not many people have had both but if you go by this chart you see that the FX6100 is a tier lower than the 965 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o... I personally would consider the FX6300 or even the FX4300 worth the money over the 6100.

I really don't want to chance the new vishera series. I'm building on a budget and can't afford to pay 130+ dollars for a 990fx mobo that I know for certain will support bios 1.6. I could go for a 970 chipset that may or may not support it out of the box, but I'm building on a time crunch and I can't afford to risk having to send something back to be updated. Also, this is my very first build and I want everything to go smooth as possible with as few unexpected "surprises" as possible.

And yeah, I've seen that chart, but as I think I've mentioned, many of the positive reviews for the 6100 say exactly the OPPOSITE of the popular opinion. Plus, I have seen videos of the 6100 and a 560 ti maintaining a solid 60 fps in BF3 multiplayer (1080p, ultra settings) WHILE recording with fraps. Only thing is, that just seems too good to be true, so I am entertaining the possibility that that person was bs-ing, although I don't know what his motive would be.

In case your curious, here's the video I was looking at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Wh16yrVqk

m
l
Related resources
a c 853 à CPUs
December 7, 2012 2:52:23 AM

TheScarecrow97 said:
I really don't want to chance the new vishera series. I'm building on a budget and can't afford to pay 130+ dollars for a 990fx mobo that I know for certain will support bios 1.6. I could go for a 970 chipset that may or may not support it out of the box, but I'm building on a time crunch and I can't afford to risk having to send something back to be updated. Also, this is my very first build and I want everything to go smooth as possible with as few unexpected "surprises" as possible.

And yeah, I've seen that chart, but as I think I've mentioned, many of the positive reviews for the 6100 say exactly the OPPOSITE of the popular opinion. Plus, I have seen videos of the 6100 and a 560 ti maintaining a solid 60 fps in BF3 multiplayer (1080p, ultra settings) WHILE recording with fraps. Only thing is, that just seems too good to be true, so I am entertaining the possibility that that person was bs-ing, although I don't know what his motive would be.

I go with what respectable hardware sites say not some personal videos. 990FX board or 970 board from fast moving resellers will have the same issues with BIOS updates.
m
l
a c 84 à CPUs
December 7, 2012 8:22:38 AM

the 965 is FAR superior for gaming, and on par for most other things. All bulldozer chips are poor for gaming compared to phenom II's.
m
l
December 7, 2012 8:43:37 AM

TheScarecrow97 said:

It is not a surprise that a BD/PD achieves good results in BF3 cause this game effectively uses multi-core/thread architecture. Unfortunately not many games do this, at least not as effective as BF3 does. Also it is hard to measure the performance in multiplayer mode due to the difference in quantity of players even on the same map.
m
l
December 7, 2012 9:32:44 AM

Hey there!

I am facing the same "problem" like OP does, looking for an online-gaming CPU - BF3, Planetside2 etc etc. I am stuck between FX-6100 and Phenom II x6 1045 (as those two sells for the same price +/- few bucks). My private opinion is not biased toward any of those right now.

I have to buy almost all new parts but HDD and power supply, so I am open for your suggestions/hints/tips.
The platform is supposed to last for c.a. 2 years.

cheers
Marco
m
l
December 7, 2012 9:53:03 AM

maciopa said:
Hey there!

I am facing the same "problem" like OP does, looking for an online-gaming CPU - BF3, Planetside2 etc etc. I am stuck between FX-6100 and Phenom II x6 1045 (as those two sells for the same price +/- few bucks). My private opinion is not biased toward any of those right now.

I have to buy almost all new parts but HDD and power supply, so I am open for your suggestions/hints/tips.
The platform is supposed to last for c.a. 2 years.

cheers
Marco

Check out this guy's channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrThebabadoom?feature=watch

He CLAIMS to have upgraded from a phenom ii x4 1090T to the fx 6100, and that the 6100 blows the phenom out of the water. In fact, he says his channel is dedicated to showing how the fx 6100 is better than everyone thinks, which is honestly what's causing me to be so undecided. But like I said, I think some of the frames he puts up for some of his vids are overexaggerated....

Alternatively, you could listen to the popular opinion and professional reviews and get the phenom. Actually, the 965 would probably serve you better than the x6 1045, because it has a higher clock rate, and like someone said, you don't NEED 6 cores for gaming, although its nice in games like BF3.
m
l
!