Sign in with
Your question

Accepting Suggestions For My First Gaming PC Build (Intel Z77 ATX)

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2012 7:59:48 PM

Ok, this is my first attempt at building a PC and Ive been trying to get informed on a lot of things but the components have me stumped; mainly which motherboard, memory, and power supply to select. Here is where I stand currently and if you find something better for my build please suggest it :) 

This PC is going to be used primarily for heavy gaming(GW2 and upcoming games)... it will be on pretty much all day and I am looking to build a future proof computer to last, I plan on keeping it 5yrs+ (I have already bought a CM full tower case if that matters).

Im currently looking at CPU: i7-3770k (which I don't intend to overclock) + corsair h100 water cooling
an nvidia geforce gtx 680 (possibly the gigabyte one as I heard it was good)
hard drive: ssd either adata sx900 or hyper x 240gb or so because I heard they are both fast and stable

memory: dependent on motherboard really but either mushkin redline or corsair because I heard both were good? please suggest others if they are better/faster?

Now for the motherboards I was looking at LGA 1155 ATX either the gigabyte z77x-ud3h/ud5h or Asus p8z77-v-?
I also heard msi and asrocks were good as well? These were all recommendations or notes I took from online reviews, and once I select one then ill get the power supply and add a single dvd optical drive.

1 question I had was about the onboard sound, I understand sound cards are not needed these days but is there a better sound on some boards vs others? Which boards are built to last/ less problematic? I was almost decided on a gigabyte board until I went to newegg and read all the problems people are having.. and how it takes 6 months to get refunds ect so that got me concerned. But I'm more concerned with the longevity of the components, which is also the reason I decided not to overclock as I heard that wears your components more then average. I'm open to suggestions and thanks in advance! :) 

Approximate Purchase Date: end of August at latest

Budget Range: well say $1,000-1,500~ (I really want sturdy/lasting vs just cheap)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: very heavy gaming (GW2, upcoming games.), I like to run background applications at the same time as well from streaming music, to messengers, to voice applications.

Are you buying a monitor: No, Already have one

Parts to Upgrade: Everything

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: whatever, newegg, tigerdirect, amazon, ect..

Parts Preferences: I prefer Intel Z77 LGA 1155 ATX components

Overclocking: No, as I want my pc to last and not wear out especially fast

SLI or Crossfire: no idea what these are lol

Your Monitor Resolution: it is 1920x1080, but is this dependent on my current setup?

Additional Comments: I do want my new PC to run smoothly as quietly and as cool as possible as I really want this build to last me for at least 5yrs+

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Ive been having lots of blue screens, sound issues, its time to upgrade and really to be able to handle my gaming future. :D 
July 25, 2012 8:20:23 PM

Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1257.89
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-25 16:19 EDT-0400)

Add monitor/keyboard/mouse and you're good to go.
m
l
May 22, 2013 2:52:50 PM

Dude, Stock CPU coolings fine if you aren't ocing. Go with an ASUS mobo. Corsair is the place to go for RAM. I also like them for PSUs, but SeaSonic Oems for them.
m
l
Related resources
!