Graphics and Storage problems

willw209

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I am having a couple issues with my first build:

CPU: AMD Phenom ii x4 965 be 3.4Ghz
MOBO: MSi 890gxm-g65
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB
ODD: HP 270i
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W
(have 2 fans; mouse&keyboard; and pci LAN adapter plugged in as well)

Note: Have had mixed results for required PSU estimates range from 400-550 roughly(the higher ends are now that I have put it all together :( btw-This PSU was recomended to me by a Toms member after viewing this setup.

-1st ISSUE: PC crashes everytime I play a game and has also during video streaming once or twice. At first it was auto restart then I swithed it off and now get a error screen that suggests graphics card problem and I have to reset.

Attempted trouble shooting: I have tested under furmark and it doesnt crash but shows lousy performance.. 21 fps in 1080 mode with a score of 1280, no artifacts. I have reseated GPU and updated drivers.

-2nd ISSUE: I had both my HDD and SSD hooked up when I installed OS on to SSD. The OS wouldnt recognize the HDD but I somehow got around it by partitioning and formatting. I can now use the HDD but it is not my default storage, everything wants to go to SSD in C: It is only a matter of time before this 60g baby has filled up.

??? Is there something defective with the GPU?
??? Is there enough power supply?
??? Should I wipe the storage and reinstall the OS?
(Just some of the questions that come to mind)

I apologize if this isn't in the right catagory.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I don't see the psu as being the problem. 520 watts is plenty for the build, and antec isn't a no-name brand. Having your OS on the SSD will automatically select that drive as where your data will go, so it's going to be a constant effort to keep it clean with only 60 gb.
It could be a faulty memory stick, which you can check by removing one, then the other to see if performance increases. (4gb is plenty to run any one program at a time)
It may also be a corrupted SSD. Try checking the sectors to see if anything pops up.

willw209

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Thank you... will def check the sticks.

I dont think the SSD is corrupted. I've checked it out and nothing has popped up.

Any suggestions as to how I could at this point make the HDD my default? Or is naturally the drive with the OS on it?

willw209

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Yes it is the same every time...

A prob has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed
If this is the first time ... restart... appears again.. steps
Check to make sure hardware or software is properly installed.if this is a new instillation, ask manufacturer for updates that might be needed
if prob continues, disable or remove any newly installed hw or sw. Disable bios memory options such as cashing or shadowing. if needed, use safe mode.
Tech info:*** STOP: 0x000000116 (............

1. Download Catalyst Control Center(preferably one that you havent used yet. if not try beta drivers), but don't install it yet.
2. Download Driver Sweeper
3. Select the Amd drivers, when its sweeping, your computer may lag a bit, its normal, do NOT close the program mid way
4. Restart the computer
5. When the computer boots, Install CCC
6. Restart again
7. test to see if the computer is sensing your gpu, you can use something liek gpu-z to test it
8. Try a game to see if problem persists

Just to be sure, you have the 6 pin connector connected firmly into the card right?

willw209

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Hey thanks dude!!

Yes I have the power securely seated but I will check again.

Should I do this before checking the RAM like stingstang suggested or you think this first?

check ram just to be sure first, as what im saying may take a bit of time.

willw209

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Ok so I checked RAM one by one using windows memory diagnostic and all is good.

After re-seating the card and 6-pin power cable, I swiped the AMD drives using the drive sweeper and installed the beta CCC and now... NO CRASHES!!

I played for a bit on high-very high settings and no problem thus far. But the furmark 1080 test comes back only slightly higher at a 1310 with 23 fps. (IDK how much stock I should be putting in this test, there could be settings I havent optimized and I really dont know what a good score is on there)

Anyway... thank you Dude (the dude abides)

--Not to sound ungrateful or anything but I still havent recieved any solid feedback on the storage issue from anybody. Is it a lost cause? Am I doomed to endless file transfers? Would it be reasonable to swipe the drives and start fresh? Time (and gigs) is of the essence