Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2012 8:24:24 PM

I am a college student that has a nice laptop...looking for a desktop to hook up to my TV for streaming, etc. I've dabbled with doing some rendering of images using Kerkythea and sketchup. And down the road may get into that more (as a hobby) so really looking for something that will be adequate for the time being, but expandable down the road...any opinions on the FM1 socket?

here is the combo pack I am looking at right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

Opinions are very appreciated!!

More about : thoughts

July 25, 2012 8:30:19 PM

i dont see why that system would give you any problems for what you want to do
m
l
July 25, 2012 8:32:57 PM

Well, a 'nice' laptop should easily be able to connect to a television with an hdmi cable.
That desktop looks good, but remember to include a disk drive, and an operating system.
m
l
Related resources
July 25, 2012 8:34:38 PM

if you are looking for something that has an Home Theater PC feeling, then that will be enough. don't expect too much from the build though outside of it.
m
l
July 25, 2012 8:40:25 PM

Idk if the laptop is nice by everyone's standards....but it's an i7 with it's own GPU and plenty of ram.

I mean, I rendered like 3 things...they take forever on my laptop...very cool when they're finished (just done some archetectual renderings of what a room will look like when completed)....but it gets super hot and I don't feel like leaving it. Another thing I wanted the desktop for was so I could start it going....and just let it run even if it takes all day. Not worry that my laptop will burst into flames....:) 

Mainly though it will be for movies, maybe light gaming...etc.

But as far as upgrading...is the FM1 socket got good potential down the road?

Thanks guys for all the help!
m
l
July 25, 2012 8:47:46 PM

ihawk10 said:
Idk if the laptop is nice by everyone's standards....but it's an i7 with it's own GPU and plenty of ram.

I mean, I rendered like 3 things...they take forever on my laptop...very cool when they're finished (just done some archetectual renderings of what a room will look like when completed)....but it gets super hot and I don't feel like leaving it. Another thing I wanted the desktop for was so I could start it going....and just let it run even if it takes all day. Not worry that my laptop will burst into flames....:) 

Mainly though it will be for movies, maybe light gaming...etc.

But as far as upgrading...is the FM1 socket got good potential down the road?

Thanks guys for all the help!

the FM1 socket is bad for upgrading, the most you can do is get an a8 llano chip. the next APU trinity is designed for FM2 boards, and i dont think AMD has plans on moving back to FM1
m
l
July 25, 2012 9:06:35 PM

alright, got any suggestions for a motherboard then?
Thanks again!
m
l
July 31, 2012 7:35:34 PM

If you're mainly worried about your laptop overheating, then get a laptop fan for it that you can set it on. I mean there's little sense in spending a pc that does that same thing your laptop can if you can fix the problem with 30 or 40 bucks.
m
l
!