How to move My Documents in XP HE?

I have XP Home on a standalone machine. In Documents and Settings I
have:

a) Administrator
b) All Users
c) Default Users
d) Dehlias

I wish to move Dehlias' My Documents to another partition.
I've seen Article ID 310147 where I'm told I can move My Documents
this way:

1. Point to My Documents.
2. Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Target tab.

But I have no Target tab in Dehlias My Documents Properties! or in any
My Documents of other profiles! why?

Thanks for any clue.
--
Dehlia
7 answers Last reply

    I suggest you do not try to move that unless there is a requirement of some
    type. Things like that can cause problems with Windows that are not
    expected.

    Frank

    FrankV wrote:
    > I suggest you do not try to move that unless there is a requirement of some
    > type.

    If there were not a "requirement of some type" why do you suppose the OP
    would be interested in moving the folder?

    > Things like that can cause problems with Windows that are not
    > expected.

    Except by you?

    > Frank

    If the folder is moved properly, there's no reason to expect anything
    bad to happen. Moving My Documents to a different partition or drive is
    good practice. It facilitates backups, and creates added security for
    important files.

    Hi Dehlia,

    1. You should login to the 'subject' user profile in order to redirect it's
    My Documents folder
    2. The "Target" tab will available if you right-click the My Documents icon
    in the Desktop, Start Menu, or in the Common Tasks.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    <Dehlia> wrote in message news:l9g461h1qdsapqeg2uqdkt3td5pts0lgr4@4ax.com...
    >I have XP Home on a standalone machine. In Documents and Settings I
    > have:
    >
    > a) Administrator
    > b) All Users
    > c) Default Users
    > d) Dehlias
    >
    > I wish to move Dehlias' My Documents to another partition.
    > I've seen Article ID 310147 where I'm told I can move My Documents
    > this way:
    >
    > 1. Point to My Documents.
    > 2. Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
    > 3. Click the Target tab.
    >
    > But I have no Target tab in Dehlias My Documents Properties! or in any
    > My Documents of other profiles! why?
    >
    > Thanks for any clue.
    > --
    > Dehlia

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:32:28 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi Dehlia,
    >
    >1. You should login to the 'subject' user profile in order to redirect it's
    >My Documents folder
    >2. The "Target" tab will available if you right-click the My Documents icon
    >in the Desktop, Start Menu, or in the Common Tasks.

    Vow! that's where I was going wrong. I was getting into Properties
    from Windows Explorer not from the Desktop (I've just used TweakUi to
    put My Documents back there). I've managed to do it now, thanks!

    I don't agree with Frank either - sorry Frank, no doubt you mean well
    but I feel safer having My Documents on a different partition, away
    from the system.

    Somehow I don't have a *login* at the moment, I don't know why. I get
    the welcome screen and come straight onto the desktop. I'm not sure
    how they've set this up. I guess I can create my own login?

    Thanks all anyway - very helpful.
    --
    Dehlia

    Dehlia wrote:
    >> 1. You should login to the 'subject' user profile in order to
    >> redirect it's My Documents folder
    >> 2. The "Target" tab will available if you right-click the My
    >> Documents icon in the Desktop, Start Menu, or in the Common Tasks.
    >
    > Vow! that's where I was going wrong. I was getting into Properties
    > from Windows Explorer not from the Desktop (I've just used TweakUi to
    > put My Documents back there). I've managed to do it now, thanks!
    >
    > I don't agree with Frank either - sorry Frank, no doubt you mean well
    > but I feel safer having My Documents on a different partition, away
    > from the system.

    Depends..

    Is the "different partition" on an actual different physical hard drive?
    If not and the problem happens to be that the system hard drive (physical)
    dies, then so does all other partitions on that drive and you have gained no
    "safety" by moving them to a different partition.
    If the "different partition" is on an actual different physical hard drive
    then you likely have gained some performance and safety cushion you did not
    have before.

    While it is true that if you have to reformat the system partition and
    reinstall, your "My Documents" would be safe on the other partition even
    *if* you had to reinstall - it just doesn't save you from a hardware failure
    of that device. I have systems that have not been reinstalled in 3+ years
    and are running fine thanks to simple maintenance, this does not preclude
    hardware failure. =)

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    >> I guess I can create my own login?

    To disable the automatic logon, create a password for your user account.
    Windows XP automatically logs in if there is only one user account and if it
    has no password.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    <Dehlia> wrote in message news:plv4611947rv1e8b0g68b6kvl3hm517heo@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:32:28 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    > <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Dehlia,
    >>
    >>1. You should login to the 'subject' user profile in order to redirect
    >>it's
    >>My Documents folder
    >>2. The "Target" tab will available if you right-click the My Documents
    >>icon
    >>in the Desktop, Start Menu, or in the Common Tasks.
    >
    > Vow! that's where I was going wrong. I was getting into Properties
    > from Windows Explorer not from the Desktop (I've just used TweakUi to
    > put My Documents back there). I've managed to do it now, thanks!
    >
    > I don't agree with Frank either - sorry Frank, no doubt you mean well
    > but I feel safer having My Documents on a different partition, away
    > from the system.
    >
    > Somehow I don't have a *login* at the moment, I don't know why. I get
    > the welcome screen and come straight onto the desktop. I'm not sure
    > how they've set this up. I guess I can create my own login?
    >
    > Thanks all anyway - very helpful.
    > --
    > Dehlia

    Hi,

    Are you stating that after you moved the My Documents folder, Autologon
    began? Very interesting, if so. Or perhaps while using TUI, you set that
    as well? Either way, see if this helps:

    1. Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2 and press ok.

    2. On the Users tab, left click your user name and check off that the Users
    Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box and then
    click OK.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    <Dehlia> wrote in message news:plv4611947rv1e8b0g68b6kvl3hm517heo@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:32:28 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    > <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Dehlia,
    >>
    >>1. You should login to the 'subject' user profile in order to redirect
    >>it's
    >>My Documents folder
    >>2. The "Target" tab will available if you right-click the My Documents
    >>icon
    >>in the Desktop, Start Menu, or in the Common Tasks.
    >
    > Vow! that's where I was going wrong. I was getting into Properties
    > from Windows Explorer not from the Desktop (I've just used TweakUi to
    > put My Documents back there). I've managed to do it now, thanks!
    >
    > I don't agree with Frank either - sorry Frank, no doubt you mean well
    > but I feel safer having My Documents on a different partition, away
    > from the system.
    >
    > Somehow I don't have a *login* at the moment, I don't know why. I get
    > the welcome screen and come straight onto the desktop. I'm not sure
    > how they've set this up. I guess I can create my own login?
    >
    > Thanks all anyway - very helpful.
    > --
    > Dehlia

Configuration My Documents Customization Windows XP