Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 560 AMP! trouble

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 2, 2012 5:20:51 PM

Hello,
newly installed gtx 560 amp! has my audio in games screeching like a speaker with 1.5volt battery as the audio source, i mean it's a fluctuating screech that changes with the on screen video that is being displayed. i would of guessed it was a power source related thing due to the fact that the card requires two power cords and my old one had only one, and the sound is sorta my guess at what a shorting capacitor might sound like in the audio, and my power bar reads a max use of 250 watts of power in the entire computer with games running and my power supply is a 375 watt dell 9100 dimension from 2005. even so, the sound sometimes disappears to a slight hum at times in games. the new video card and the soundblaster live 24 were sharing an IRQ til i moved the blaster to a different slot. no resolved prob. HELP! i have been reading tech threads almost constantly for 2 weeks and now i figure that the company knows a secret cuz they offered a 40 dollars rebate and the computer store offered a 30 dollar discount making this card supper cheap for its "supposed" performance. i consider audio part of its promised performance since its has Nvidia HD audio drivers in the driver package with the card. FUGG!!! LOL

More about : gtx 560 amp trouble

a b Î Nvidia
June 2, 2012 5:49:14 PM

Dude you're seriously underpowering a card. No wonder it does those sounds, it's calling for help :lol:  But jokes aside, that card could fail any moment. It requires at least 500 watt power supply. I suggest you take it out of your PC before it blows up. Hell, it could be damaged already.. Get a new power supply asap!
m
l
June 2, 2012 9:34:01 PM

very possible! but a quick calculation shows that my total system at the wall plug is only using 66% of the rated power supply when fully loaded and running in a game. doesn't it make sense that if my video card was sucking up the power that my power supply would be maxed out and the wall plug "kill-o-watt" meter would say at least 375 watts, but it doesn't, it says 250 watts which is for the hard drive, fans, cpu and sound card and videocard and ram and i have disconnected the dvd and cd drives so they aren't in that. and accounting for losses in power conversion my powersupply is probaly only having to put out 200 watts with 50 watts lost to transformers inefficiency and heat and power conversion. that is near half its rated specs. of course i am using one pcie built in power wire and two molex with the pcie adapter wire to the two power inputs of the vidcard. maybe thats the prob, but i am not sure if those power channels out of the powersupply can carry enough amps to the card. i get no blue screens.

power supplies for dell 9100 seem to be notoriously had to find according to forums i read. i never triied getting one though. LOL didnt think i needed it. thanks for the reply Sunius
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 2, 2012 9:40:17 PM

Your graphics card alone should suck up around 200 watts. Not to mention other components. Basically, your CPU, motherboard and Graphics card can only 'eat' 12V power. Check how many amperes your power supply dedicates to that (it should be written on it). Power = Voltage * Amperage. If you are maxing that out, no wonder your Kill-o-watt doesn't show full 375 watt. Actually, only hard drives and DVD drivers use 5V, and fans use 3.3V power. Those two are pretty useless, and you disconnecting DVD and CD drives don't help much.
m
l
!