Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Flashing horizontal lines between Windows logo and the desktop!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 2, 2012 6:06:09 PM

I built a PC with an Asus Z77 motherboard, core i5 3570 processor, a 120GB SSD (the only drive) and 8GB of 1600 RAM. Also, only using Intel 4000 graphics. I'd noticed that the RAM was set at 1333 and discovered that it was quite normal for the motherboards to use a one speed lower RAM setting for stability. I enabled the Intel XMP at 1600. I've noticed since I did that, that during the one second or less the Asus VE 228 LCD/LED monitor (connected with HDMI cable) goes from the black screen after loading the Windows 7 logo, to loading the desktop that it flashes wildly with distinct horizontal lines. Almost like it's loading the desktop in segments. Again, this phenomena takes one second or less. Could this be attributed to changing the RAM frequency and can it harm anything? Thank you!
June 3, 2012 1:47:29 AM

Is it reproducible? I mean when you disable Intel XMP & the RAM reverts to 1333, does the flashing horizontal lines go away? And when you enable XMP again, the flashing horizontal lines come back?
m
l
June 3, 2012 7:48:16 AM

randomkid said:
Is it reproducible? I mean when you disable Intel XMP & the RAM reverts to 1333, does the flashing horizontal lines go away? And when you enable XMP again, the flashing horizontal lines come back?

Thank you for the reply. I was eventually going to do the but figured I'd throw it out here first. I'm sure I'd never be able to tell the difference between the 1600 and the 1333 but my obsessive side wants to keep it at 1600.
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2012 9:38:16 AM

Yes, I know how you feel. We builders invest in the best part that we can afford & we want to squeeze as much as possible out of it. Anyway, its worth a try reverting to 1333 then back to 1600 again. Who knows what you have is a one time kink & will go away on the 2nd time.
m
l
June 3, 2012 10:23:03 PM

randomkid said:
Yes, I know how you feel. We builders invest in the best part that we can afford & we want to squeeze as much as possible out of it. Anyway, its worth a try reverting to 1333 then back to 1600 again. Who knows what you have is a one time kink & will go away on the 2nd time.

I couldn't take the pressure and turned off XMP and returned RAM to 1333. I would say it did it but it's so fast I can hardly notice and that is probably why I never did notice it before. So do I assume that 1600 is still faster (although not so much so that I'd ever notice) but just not at boot? I guess I'll just leave it at 1333 until I get board again!
m
l

Best solution

June 3, 2012 11:35:19 PM

You can determine the actual difference due to RAM speed in running benchmarks while at 1333 & at 1600. I use superPi, cinebench and a few others I forgot about.
June 4, 2012 12:32:57 AM

randomkid said:
You can determine the actual difference due to RAM speed in running benchmarks while at 1333 & at 1600. I use superPi, cinebench and a few others I forgot about.

Ok. thanks! I'll check it out, again, when I'm board! Despite my obsessive desire to eke out every possible millisecond I also have a paranoia streak telling me, "If it ain't broke, don't don't fix it!" Again, I'm sure I'm going to try this in a day or so.
m
l
June 4, 2012 6:09:31 AM

Hehehe... fixing things that aint broke are the most probable reason why things get broken... But running the benchmarks will settle once & for all your questions whether what you do to optimize is working & worth whatever effort you put on it is worth it. :) 
m
l
June 4, 2012 11:42:31 AM

That bm was pretty cool. Now without XMP enabled it's showing 1600 RAM and it is faster by less than .2 seconds testing at 512k. Alls well that ends well! Also, the boot thing is so fast I really have a hard time witnessing it.
m
l
June 4, 2012 11:45:06 AM

That's great to hear. Enjoy your PC. :) 
m
l
June 4, 2012 11:55:24 AM

...actually less than .3 not .2! Like 4.4xx compared to 4.7xx. lol I don't want to give up any speed. Thank you again for your help!
m
l
June 11, 2012 12:05:01 AM

Best answer selected by ratchet.
m
l
!