Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question on 8-pin power connector

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2012 11:12:11 PM

I am putting together a new AMD PC, but I forgot to connect the 8-pin motherboard connector (this is my first 64-bit CPU :??:  ). I am getting an adapter so I can do it, but I was wondering if there can be any damage to any components due to not having the 8-pin slot connected and turning on the system.

PS: I get no display and no beeps when the power is on without the 8-pin connected. I hope it will boot once I connect it.

More about : question pin power connector

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 26, 2012 3:58:17 PM

the 8pin connector powers the CPU. should be no damage if you tried to turn is on without it connected. your PSU should have come with at least a 4 pin ATX/CPU cable, so I assuming you had to by and 4 to 8 pin adapter?

July 26, 2012 5:01:59 PM

jerreddredd said:
the 8pin connector powers the CPU. should be no damage if you tried to turn is on without it connected. your PSU should have come with at least a 4 pin ATX/CPU cable, so I assuming you had to by and 4 to 8 pin adapter?

The 8-pin connector on my PSU is too short - I need the adapter for extension. Thanks for the answer!
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 26, 2012 8:34:11 PM

bottom mount PSU? if you route it under the video card instead of over it might reach ... just a thought.
m
l
July 27, 2012 1:38:57 AM

jerreddredd said:
if you route it under the video card instead of over it might reach ... just a thought.

My case won't allow that. Anyway, I plugged in the 8-pin and now it all works. Thx
m
l
August 3, 2012 12:53:53 AM

Best answer selected by maxamillionk.
m
l
!