Question on 8-pin power connector

maxamillionk

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I am putting together a new AMD PC, but I forgot to connect the 8-pin motherboard connector (this is my first 64-bit CPU :??: ). I am getting an adapter so I can do it, but I was wondering if there can be any damage to any components due to not having the 8-pin slot connected and turning on the system.

PS: I get no display and no beeps when the power is on without the 8-pin connected. I hope it will boot once I connect it.

Solution
the 8pin connector powers the CPU. should be no damage if you tried to turn is on without it connected. your PSU should have come with at least a 4 pin ATX/CPU cable, so I assuming you had to by and 4 to 8 pin adapter?

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
the 8pin connector powers the CPU. should be no damage if you tried to turn is on without it connected. your PSU should have come with at least a 4 pin ATX/CPU cable, so I assuming you had to by and 4 to 8 pin adapter?

Solution

maxamillionk

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

The 8-pin connector on my PSU is too short - I need the adapter for extension. Thanks for the answer!

maxamillionk

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

My case won't allow that. Anyway, I plugged in the 8-pin and now it all works. Thx