Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bottlenecking & Upgrades?

Last response: in Components
Share
December 7, 2012 9:06:54 AM

Hey I've recently been thinking about upgrading my computer for getting better FPS on DayZ & other games. This is my rig:
AMD Phenom x4 970
XFX 6870
8GB of Corsair Vengeance
650watt PSU
Asus p45(?)
1TB Western HDD

More about : bottlenecking upgrades

December 7, 2012 9:21:47 AM

you would be better upgrading to a z77 motherboard and core I5 3570k if you are more concerned about framerates possibly upgrade your gpu to a 7870 also if you have the finances :) 
December 7, 2012 9:27:06 AM

6870 Its enough for that mobo. no need to update.
Related resources
December 7, 2012 10:00:37 AM

Do you mean enough for the CPU? Motherboards won't bottleneck graphics cards, unless you're talking about PCI-E channels (which isn't an issue here). kenny3105 is right that a CPU upgrade could be beneficial, though graphics card upgrade moreso. A 7870 won't deliver a huge increase over what you already have though. Since your card is already pretty capable, I'd advise moving right up to a GTX670 if you need a significant and noticeable performance increase now. If you can wait though, next year will have a lot more to offer. That's what I'm gonna do :-)
December 7, 2012 6:04:59 PM

kenny3105 said:
you would be better upgrading to a z77 motherboard and core I5 3570k if you are more concerned about framerates possibly upgrade your gpu to a 7870 also if you have the finances :) 


hmm the motherboard & cpu came up at ~530usd which won't let me have much room for a gpu (800 budget). also i want to switch to nvidia for now :) 

December 7, 2012 6:06:33 PM

bc5 said:
Do you mean enough for the CPU? Motherboards won't bottleneck graphics cards, unless you're talking about PCI-E channels (which isn't an issue here). kenny3105 is right that a CPU upgrade could be beneficial, though graphics card upgrade moreso. A 7870 won't deliver a huge increase over what you already have though. Since your card is already pretty capable, I'd advise moving right up to a GTX670 if you need a significant and noticeable performance increase now. If you can wait though, next year will have a lot more to offer. That's what I'm gonna do :-)


i was thinking about a 670, but as you i will probably wait after next year it will be alot of sales going on, maybe i can get my hands on a 680? :D 
December 7, 2012 6:12:04 PM

borvik said:
i was thinking about a 670, but as you i will probably wait after next year it will be alot of sales going on, maybe i can get my hands on a 680? :D 


Sounds like a plan :-) You have a better card than mine, so you should be alright on it for a little bit longer! We can expect the Radeon 8000 series to drop prices on the current gen cards, and then the GeForce GTX700 series to drop prices on the Radeon 8000 series too. Then the price war fun begins ;-)
!