POST seems fine but no beep from speaker?

Falcon66

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Not sure if this is a problem or not with my new build...

Breadboarding my ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Mobo with discrete GPU before I start. The POST seems to go OK; on video I see a colorful mfr. promo screen, then it shows:

Copyright 2011 (blah blah)
BIOS date (blah blah)
Z77 Extreme 4 UEFI P1.40
CPU info (looks good)
RAM info (looks good)

UEFI Defaults have been loaded
Press F2 or Del to run setup
Press F1 to continue

Only thing is, the little chassis speaker I connected doesn't make a sound, though it IS connected to the proper header. This particular Mobo DOES have built-in LEDs that display various error codes. Could it be that the mfr thinks the visual display makes those audio beeps unnecessary? Naturally, the manual doesn't mention this.

Can I safely ignore the lack of beeping, and proceed with the build?
Thanks!

Solution
A lot of new computers no longer beep on start up. Your board may not have a beep if everything is okay. It may only beep when something goes wrong instead.

To make sure your speaker isn't dead, or the wires somehow became detached, visually inspect the leads to the speaker and make sure the solder joints haven't come apart at the speaker.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
A lot of new computers no longer beep on start up. Your board may not have a beep if everything is okay. It may only beep when something goes wrong instead.

To make sure your speaker isn't dead, or the wires somehow became detached, visually inspect the leads to the speaker and make sure the solder joints haven't come apart at the speaker.

Solution

Falcon66

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

Thanks maxx, I thought all mobos would beep provided a speaker's connected! I guess that LED error code display does kind of make the beeps redundant. Cheers!

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

No problem. Just FYI, this is much more common with brand name computers like Dell, HP, Acer, etc. The last time I heard a beep at POST from a brand name box was the end of the Pentium 4 era. Although I don't work with brand names a lot.