Sign in with
Your question

Computer wont recognize mouse or keyboard

Last response: in Components
December 7, 2012 10:52:03 AM

Hello,
I have an Asus tower. I was playing COD and it shut down all by itself. When I restarted it, it doesn't recognize the mouse or keyboard. Change USB ports for both and tried a different mouse that works on another computer, but it doesn't power up the IR in the mouse, or recognize it. Monitor is working. Running Widows 7. Recently had the mother board and graphics cards replaced. If worked fine for awhile.
December 7, 2012 1:03:47 PM

Do you have any other USB devices plugged in? Do you know if any of the ports are damaged? Sometimes a short can cause a PC's USB ports to blow their self repairing fuses which usually take a few minutes to be operable again.
m
l
December 15, 2012 8:59:59 PM

Thanks for the reply Hashwagon. You might be right, I took in for repair (didn't try it again) and it started working when they turned it on. They couldn't find any problems. As I mentioned before, I play Call of Duty and now it freezes up after one or two games. It seems to work fine the rest of the time, just have the problem when I play COD. Any other thoughts?
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2012 4:37:12 PM

Do you have another mouse and keyboard that you could play with for a while to test with? Also, do you have a fleece blanket or something static sitting next to your desk?
m
l
December 31, 2012 12:02:47 PM

The computer's environment has not changed from when it worked properly, as far as static producing materials around it. I did try a different mouse to no effect. Problems include not recognizing mouse and keyboard, which shutting down and disconnecting the power for a few minutes seems to resolve. Blue screen, game freeze and occasional random restarts. I've replace the graphics card with a newer Gforce 9800 series, replaced the motherboard, added fans and returned to the shop 3 times. I'm almost to the point where if a solution exists, it may not be worth the aggravation to find it which is too bad because when it works it's great. So my new question is how do you know if you have a knowledgeable computer tech? Please don't tell me "Because he fixes what's wrong!"
m
l
!