Warlock talents... what to get?

Last response: in Video Games
June 27, 2005 12:16:00 PM

My warlock just turned 30. Initially I started putting almost all my
talent points in demonology, but lately I'm not so sure that's a good
option.
Problem is, at lvl 10 I thought all my pets would be great and all, but
now I realize most of the time I'll be using the voidwalker, as the
others have little to no chance surviving a fight with an add.
So I'm starting to think on doing a respec, first of all... how does
respec work and cost? and second... any advice on how to distribute
talent points for a warlock? Specially for PvE, not really interested
in PvP

More about : warlock talents

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 12:50:20 PM

> first of all... how does respec work and cost?

Go to a trainer and select the option to unlearn your talents. After
that, you just go to your talent menu and allocate them as normal. The
cost goes up. It starts at 1g and goes from there to 2g, 5g, 10g, 15g,
20g...50g max.

For PvE, the role of a warlock is DPS, so anything that improves that
is good. The best pet in an instance is imp since it gives a Fortitude
buff to everyone via Blood Pact. The Succubus is good for crowd control
with Seduction. I very rarely see the blue buddy in instances. At lower
levels, it may still be useful as an off tank.

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (34) on Stormrage [PvE]

Noal McDonald <dharzhak@my-deja.com> wrote:
>> first of all... how does respec work and cost?
> cost goes up. It starts at 1g and goes from there to 2g, 5g, 10g, 15g,
> 20g...50g max.

Don't forget there's a rumour that with the upcoming patch 1.6
warlocks (and some other classes) will get a free respec since some
talents were changed. So you might want to wait another week or two
before respeccing.

> with Seduction. I very rarely see the blue buddy in instances. At lower
> levels, it may still be useful as an off tank.

It's quite useful when you notice too late that your main tank isn't
good at tanking. Also sacrificing him for the shield and blasting
away with hellfire keeps you safe until your healer recognizes what's
going on.

--
Erick
Related resources

JHC on a popsicle stick... at least *attempt* to punctuate.

Eh, mostly in fun.

> I use void most of the time and if things start to go pear shaped i
> sacrefice him and run :)
> but I play pvp (lvl 46)and when i get attacked 1 on 1 if im ready i rarely
> lose I sacrafice void then fear then cast void then if the fear didnt work
> sacrifice void and cast imoleate destruct and agony then void then
> sacrifice then cast imolate confraglate amolate then shadow bolts they
> usually dead by then if the fear works its quicker i beat 54 mage and 53
> warior together yesterday maybe they where inexperienced but i cant
> grumble i nearly died though (but i never :)

June 28, 2005 10:42:45 AM

wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> My warlock just turned 30. Initially I started putting almost all my
> talent points in demonology, but lately I'm not so sure that's a good
> option.
> Problem is, at lvl 10 I thought all my pets would be great and all, but
> now I realize most of the time I'll be using the voidwalker, as the
> others have little to no chance surviving a fight with an add.
> So I'm starting to think on doing a respec, first of all... how does
> respec work and cost? and second... any advice on how to distribute
> talent points for a warlock? Specially for PvE, not really interested
> in PvP

I've been using the affliction build for PvE, and I can reccomend it.
What you basically do is drain-tank... Get your points in improved
drain life and nightfall, cast all your dots and start draining.
Cast insta-cast shadow bolts when nightfall procs, and that's
quite often - at least once in 80% of my fights, sometimes up to 4x.
Use succubus for higher DPS, or voidwalker if you're really
in trouble.

Using this method, at lvl 33 I was able to kill lvl 38 succubus and
lvl 37 lesser infernal in desolace (That's +5 lvl and +4 lvl fire
immune mobs, respectively), though with use of potions.
At level 35 I was able to solo lvl 36 and 37 elite ogres in Alterac
Mountains (with dificulty, and I'd get to my minimum health before
killing them, but I was able to kill them without Voidwalker!)

Humanoid adds are no problem. Succubus can seduce them. Demons
and elementals are also no problem, as you can banish them.

Damage is not the defining attribute of a warlock. Unless it's mass
damage, where you DoT everything that walks and use Hellfire.

If your go the affliction route, I'd reccomend you take equipment
in this order: STA/INT/SPI. Your stamina is most important.
(right now I still have more int... I keep finding those cool
int items, but stamina is definetely more important than spirit)

Ever since I respecced to drain-tanking affliction, I find that
I'm enjoying it much more than I used to...

Here's my warlock's Allakhazam profile, check my talent build if
you want to:

http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?112707

--
Nazgul, via terminal
Visit: http://www.sfmreza.tk

This is not effective later on. I'm lvl 54 and the mobs frequently hit me
for 2-400 and recovering 87 life/sec just doesn't cut it with cloth armor.
It is pretty nice until around lvl 50 though. It also makes it difficult to
kill many mobs quickly.

Usually I send the walker in, put on the DoTs and wait for a bit before
using the wand or just whack with the sword, if I drain life they come for
me right away. When they get to around 1500 life I'll start shadow bolting.
This keeps your mana relatively full, life up, and the walker can take a
beating from 3-4 guys before you have to heal him.

Demonology, never invested in that tree except for improved imp for PvP.
It's going to get a huge boost in 1.6 though.

"Nazgul" <REizalacMOVE@MEglobalnet.hr> wrote in message
news:D 9qrh5$6c7$1@bagan.srce.hr...
> wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> My warlock just turned 30. Initially I started putting almost all my
>> talent points in demonology, but lately I'm not so sure that's a good
>> option.
>> Problem is, at lvl 10 I thought all my pets would be great and all, but
>> now I realize most of the time I'll be using the voidwalker, as the
>> others have little to no chance surviving a fight with an add.
>> So I'm starting to think on doing a respec, first of all... how does
>> respec work and cost? and second... any advice on how to distribute
>> talent points for a warlock? Specially for PvE, not really interested
>> in PvP
>
> I've been using the affliction build for PvE, and I can reccomend it.
> What you basically do is drain-tank... Get your points in improved
> drain life and nightfall, cast all your dots and start draining.
> Cast insta-cast shadow bolts when nightfall procs, and that's
> quite often - at least once in 80% of my fights, sometimes up to 4x.
> Use succubus for higher DPS, or voidwalker if you're really
> in trouble.
>
> Using this method, at lvl 33 I was able to kill lvl 38 succubus and
> lvl 37 lesser infernal in desolace (That's +5 lvl and +4 lvl fire
> immune mobs, respectively), though with use of potions.
> At level 35 I was able to solo lvl 36 and 37 elite ogres in Alterac
> Mountains (with dificulty, and I'd get to my minimum health before
> killing them, but I was able to kill them without Voidwalker!)
>
> Humanoid adds are no problem. Succubus can seduce them. Demons
> and elementals are also no problem, as you can banish them.
>
> Damage is not the defining attribute of a warlock. Unless it's mass
> damage, where you DoT everything that walks and use Hellfire.
>
> If your go the affliction route, I'd reccomend you take equipment
> in this order: STA/INT/SPI. Your stamina is most important.
> (right now I still have more int... I keep finding those cool
> int items, but stamina is definetely more important than spirit)
>
> Ever since I respecced to drain-tanking affliction, I find that
> I'm enjoying it much more than I used to...
>
> Here's my warlock's Allakhazam profile, check my talent build if
> you want to:
>
> http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?112707
>
> --
> Nazgul, via terminal
> Visit: http://www.sfmreza.tk
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 7:40:59 PM

"NullCone" <nospam@nothanks.net> wrote in message

> JHC on a popsicle stick... at least *attempt* to punctuate.
>
> Eh, mostly in fun.
>

>> I use void most of the time and if things start to go pear shaped i
>> sacrefice him and run :)
>> but I play pvp (lvl 46)and when i get attacked 1 on 1 if im ready i
>> rarely lose I sacrafice void then fear then cast void then if the fear
>> didnt work sacrifice void and cast imoleate destruct and agony then void
>> then sacrifice then cast imolate confraglate amolate then shadow bolts
>> they usually dead by then if the fear works its quicker i beat 54 mage
>> and 53 warior together yesterday maybe they where inexperienced but i
>> cant grumble i nearly died though (but i never :)

Grow up its a news group not an english lesson.While me missing out
puncuation only upset you,I think you'll find top posting upsets almost
everyone :)
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:03:34 PM

Ender <cheezpilotnospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It also makes it difficult to kill many mobs quickly.
How do you suggest to do that with a warlock? With a destruction spec?

> Usually I send the walker in, put on the DoTs and wait for a bit before
> using the wand or just whack with the sword, if I drain life they come for
> me right away.
> [...]
> Demonology, never invested in that tree except for improved imp for PvP.

See. There's your problem. The "Improved Voidwalker" talent will
increase the effectiveness of the walkers taunt and keep them away
from you longer.

> It's going to get a huge boost in 1.6 though.

Yes! Can't wait to see how that will work out. Not to mention the free
respec. :-)

--
Erick
Anonymous

"pudj" <paddy@@pudg.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> "NullCone" <nospam@nothanks.net> wrote in message
>>
>> JHC on a popsicle stick... at least *attempt* to punctuate.
>>
>> Eh, mostly in fun.
>>

>>> I use void most of the time and if things start to go pear shaped i
>>> sacrefice him and run :)
>>> but I play pvp (lvl 46)and when i get attacked 1 on 1 if im ready i rarely
>>> lose I sacrafice void then fear then cast void then if the fear didnt work
>>> sacrifice void and cast imoleate destruct and agony then void then sacrifice
>>> then cast imolate confraglate amolate then shadow bolts they usually dead by
>>> then if the fear works its quicker i beat 54 mage and 53 warior together
>>> yesterday maybe they where inexperienced but i cant grumble i nearly died
>>> though (but i never :)
>>>

> Grow up its a news group not an english lesson.While me missing out puncuation
> only upset you,I think you'll find top posting upsets almost everyone :)

While top posting is indeed annoying in most cases, your post had to be
the worst case of lazy writing I've ever seen. It seriously hurt the readability
and *understandability* of your attempt at communication, and tossed your
credibility factor out the window, presuming anyone could make enough sense
out of your unpunctuated ramble for questions of credibility to even enter the
equation.

If you actually know about and understand the usage of punctuation, please use
it- if not for the sake of others trying to understand what the heck it is
you're
writing, then at least for the sake of not appearing to be an embarrassingly
ignorant fool. If you don't know about punctuation, please go back to remedial
english school immediately, do not pass go. Thank you.
-Marshall

PS: on my personal usenet annoyance scale of 1 to 10, top-posting is some-
where around a '3'. Your post probably pushed a '6' or a '7'...
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:55:07 AM

"Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "pudj" <paddy@@pudg.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "NullCone" <nospam@nothanks.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> JHC on a popsicle stick... at least *attempt* to punctuate.
>>>
>>> Eh, mostly in fun.

>> Grow up its a news group not an english lesson.While me missing out
>> puncuation only upset you,I think you'll find top posting upsets almost
>> everyone :)
>
> While top posting is indeed annoying in most cases, your post had to be
> the worst case of lazy writing I've ever seen. It seriously hurt the
> readability
> and *understandability* of your attempt at communication, and tossed your
> credibility factor out the window, presuming anyone could make enough
> sense
> out of your unpunctuated ramble for questions of credibility to even enter
> the
> equation.
>
> If you actually know about and understand the usage of punctuation, please
> use
> it- if not for the sake of others trying to understand what the heck it is
> you're
> writing, then at least for the sake of not appearing to be an
> embarrassingly
> ignorant fool. If you don't know about punctuation, please go back to
> remedial
> english school immediately, do not pass go. Thank you.
> -Marshall
>
> PS: on my personal usenet annoyance scale of 1 to 10, top-posting is some-
> where around a '3'. Your post probably pushed a '6' or a '7'...
Jeez I get drunk I send a reply that does make sense if you can indeed
understand english,all you have to do is puncuate the sentence yourself
which I'm sure your still learning at school.
Now I understand that is slightly demanding but as I already explained I
had had a few to drink now please grow up and stop insulting me.
I would like to add that your grammer and puncuation isn't that great
either but seeing that your obviously still at school I'll forgive you.On a
scale of 1-10 yours is a eight for entering a thread with no relavance to
the question.Now who's answer do you think helped the origonal poster most
yours or mine?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:45:06 AM

Erick Pelden wrote:
> The Dark Pact sounds a bit weak to me. 150 Mana
> isn't much and my pets always tend to have not enough anyway.

Dark Pact IS a bit weak. About the only time I use it is when I'm in a
group and the mobs are coming one after another and I've run out of drink.

Shadrack
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 4:05:30 AM

> I would like to add that your grammer and puncuation isn't that great
> either but seeing that your obviously still at school I'll forgive you.

Not a debate I particularly want to enter, but I can find little fault with
Marshall's grammar or punctuation, and on the last point I know for a fact that
you're wrong ;)

(Should one use a full stop after a smiley?)

--
Paul
Anonymous

In article <1119995718.64058.0@demeter.uk.clara.net>, pudj
<paddy@@pudg.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

> understand english,all you have to do is puncuate the sentence yourself
> which I'm sure your still learning at school.

Ah, bless.

I got as far as "rarely lose I sacrafice void then fear then cast void
then...." before giving up. Life's way too short to punctuate other
people's messes, especially if they can't be bothered to do it
themselves.

You were right about Marshall and his top-posting, though... he's going
to have to die.

___
Neil
aka HighVis
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:48:10 AM

Usually I send the walker in, put on the DoTs and wait for a bit before

using the wand or just whack with the sword, if I drain life they come
for
me right away. When they get to around 1500 life I'll start shadow
bolting.
This keeps your mana relatively full, life up, and the walker can take
beating from 3-4 guys before you have to heal him.

That's similar to what I do except for one thing. I do send the
voidwalker, then curse of agony, then corruption and the fire DoT, then
start casting shadow bolt. Since it takes like 3.5 secs to cast, by
the time it finishes is when the mob is already turning to attack me,
that's when I switch to wands (uninterruptible). A couple of shots and
mob is dead.

I read the supposed changes for the new patch, but didn't really see
many changes in Warlock (at least not enough to explain a 'free
respec'). Did I miss something?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:34:18 PM

> pudj wrote:
> I would like to add that your grammer and puncuation isn't that great

There is no "e" in "grammar."

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (34) on Stormrage [PvE]
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:00:43 PM

Hmm... where can I find that info? All I've read is the following:
(from the supposed next patch notes)
---
# Due to significant talent changes, Warlocks will have all talent
points
refunded and can be respent.
- let's see...
# Cripple (Doomguard) - Targets that are immune to movement slowing
effects
will no longer be affected by Cripple's movement slowing effect. Melee
and
ranged attack speed slowing effects will still affect these targets.
- a fix
# Demon Skin/Demon Armor - Now increases health regeneration at all
times,
as was always intended. Previously, the health regeneration only
occurred
out of combat. Tooltips updated.
- a fix
# Demonic Sacrifice - The sacrifice effects for the Voidwalker and
Felhunter have changed: The Voidwalker will now regenerate 3% of your
total health every 4 seconds. The Felhunter will now regenerate 2% of
your total mana every 4
seconds.
- Not sure if I have this yet, but I think I'd rather have my pet out
# Demonic Sacrifice now works properly on banished summons.
- Fix
# Summon Dreadsteed - New icon.
- Cosmetic change
# Dark Pact - Fixed a bug where the combat log was reporting an
incorrect
value of mana gained by the caster when there wasn't enough mana to
drain
from the pet.
- Fix
# Phase Shift (Imp) - While phase shifted, the imp is now targetable
but
will remain an invalid target for all spells and attacks except
self-cast
spells.
- Guess a PvP change
# Improved Healthstone - The increased effect from this talent should
now
properly apply to other players that use the Warlock's Healthstones.
- Fix
# Ritual of Summoning - Fixed a bug where players could be summoned
from
outside the same instance as the warlock in some cases.
- Fix
# Unholy Power - No longer requires the Fel Stamina talent. Is now a
tier 4
talent and is a prerequisite for the new Master Demonologist talent.
- ?
# Master Conjuror - Talent replaced with a new talent called Master
Demonlogist.
# New Talent (Demonology): Master Demonologist - Grants both the
Warlock
and the summoned demon an effect as long as that demon is active. The
effect granted depends on the type of demon summoned.
- Only real change I see, but doesnt explain what effects you get. Is
this all?
# Unholy Power - No longer requires the Fel Stamina talent. It now
requires
the Master Demonologist talent.
- ? Doesn't this contradict the statement 3 above? what is a prereq
for what?
# Ritual of Doom - Should now display the cooldown.
- Cosmetic
---

So, either I'm missing some other notes or I don't see the 'major
talent changes'
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:27:09 PM

Depending on the pet you have out, this grants the following mods:
Imp: Reduces threat caused by 4/8/12/16/20%.
Voidwalker: Reduces physical damage taken by 2/4/6/8/10%.
Succubus: Increases all damaged caused by 2/4/6/8/10%.
Felhunter: Increases all resistances by .2/.4/.6/.8/1 per level.

Wow this sounds indeed nice. And I thought warlocks were overpowered
before lol
Imagine the Felhunter, at lvl 60... 60% resistance to everything???
OMG!!
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:27:56 PM

My firewall here at work somewhat limits the sites I can visit. However,
check out http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/board.aspx?fn=wow-warlo....
There are some interesting threads about potential new warlock builds;
SM/Ruin vs DM/Ruin and PvP vs PvE. I mainly solo PvE with an occasional
jaunt into an instance. I'm still trying to figure out the best build for
my type of play.

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> So, either I'm missing some other notes or I don't see the 'major
> talent changes'

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:59:59 PM

On 2005-06-29 16:48:10 +0200, "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> said:

> That's similar to what I do except for one thing. I do send the
> voidwalker, then curse of agony, then corruption and the fire DoT, then
> start casting shadow bolt. Since it takes like 3.5 secs to cast, by
> the time it finishes is when the mob is already turning to attack me,
> that's when I switch to wands (uninterruptible). A couple of shots and
> mob is dead.
>
> I read the supposed changes for the new patch, but didn't really see
> many changes in Warlock (at least not enough to explain a 'free
> respec'). Did I miss something?

They completely updated the Demonology tree. Quite impressive changes
as well. They dropped Master Conjuror and added a new talent Master
Demonologist. At first sight and some initial test builds the
Demonology tree has become very powerful indeed, and I am inclined to
respec Demonologist/Ruin instead of my current (and quite common)
SM/Ruin build.
--
http://www.new-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 55 - Bloodscalp EU

On 2005-06-29 18:00:43 +0200, "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> said:

> Hmm... where can I find that info? All I've read is the following:
> (from the supposed next patch notes)
> ---

<snip mostly bugfixes and minor tweaks>

Okay the 'bugfixes' might not result in great new talents, but were a
major cause of irritation with a lot of demonology specced and caused
most to avoid demonology all together.

> # New Talent (Demonology): Master Demonologist - Grants both the
> Warlock
> and the summoned demon an effect as long as that demon is active. The
> effect granted depends on the type of demon summoned.
> - Only real change I see, but doesnt explain what effects you get. Is
> this all?

This is indeed the key change that throws the entire demonology tree around:

Depending on the pet you have out, this grants the following mods:
Imp: Reduces threat caused by 4/8/12/16/20%.
Voidwalker: Reduces physical damage taken by 2/4/6/8/10%.
Succubus: Increases all damaged caused by 2/4/6/8/10%.
Felhunter: Increases all resistances by .2/.4/.6/.8/1 per level.

What this does is give you the possibility to change your own spec
based on the pet you have out. Highly increasing the versatility of the
warlock. Whereas before you just could pick the right pet for the right
situation (which you still can with faster summoning and an instant
summon) you now also 'patch' yourself to face the situation the best.
This is not unlike what the druid can do. It isn't that extreme but on
the other hand you can still use all your spells/talents regardless of
your pet so this is a very strong talent indeed, and finally makes the
demonology tree worth speccing in.

If you are unsure try playing around with it on the test server.

> # Unholy Power - No longer requires the Fel Stamina talent. It now
> requires
> the Master Demonologist talent.
> - ? Doesn't this contradict the statement 3 above? what is a prereq
> for what?

That's an error in the patch notes I suppose. In any case Unholy Power
is a prereq to Master Demonologist.

You might want to check out the Warlock forums for discussions about
new builds with this tree.
--
http://www.new-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 55 - Bloodscalp EU
Gwar - Orcish Warrior lvl 10 - Bloodscalp EU
Chasey - Undead Priest lvl 19 - Bloodscalp EU
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:23:40 PM

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> # Ritual of Summoning - Fixed a bug where players could be summoned
> from
> outside the same instance as the warlock in some cases.
> - Fix

I'm confused. Isn't that what it's for?

--
Paul
June 29, 2005 11:23:41 PM

Paul Catley wrote:
> "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>># Ritual of Summoning - Fixed a bug where players could be summoned
>>from
>>outside the same instance as the warlock in some cases.
>>- Fix
>

> I'm confused. Isn't that what it's for?

No.

The intended behavior is: If you are not in an instance, you can summon
someone to you who is also not in an instance. If you are in an
instance, you can summon someone to you as long as they are also in the
same instance.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:38:03 AM

On 29 Jun 2005 11:27:09 -0700, "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Depending on the pet you have out, this grants the following mods:
>Imp: Reduces threat caused by 4/8/12/16/20%.
>Voidwalker: Reduces physical damage taken by 2/4/6/8/10%.
>Succubus: Increases all damaged caused by 2/4/6/8/10%.
>Felhunter: Increases all resistances by .2/.4/.6/.8/1 per level.
>>>>
>Wow this sounds indeed nice. And I thought warlocks were overpowered
>before lol

I think you were very alone in believing Warlocks to be overpowered -
they are generally considered the weakest class in the game...

>Imagine the Felhunter, at lvl 60... 60% resistance to everything???
>OMG!!

Woah, no! Now that would be _huge_, but sadly the '%' sign is missing.

Try reading
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/resistances....

One thing of note there, is that in order to, on average, resist 75%
of the damage from level 50 spells, you would need to have 250 in the
relevant resistance score...

+60 all resist is still very good, but it is _far_ from enough to
protect you on its own (according to the page above it would, on
average, give you a ~18% damage reduction against level 50 spells).

I don't know the exact formula, but given Blizzards love of the "5
points per level" system, I would guess that 300 resistance is needed
for the, on average, 75% damage reduction against level 60 spells, and
that the 60 resist would grant a, on average, 15% damage reduction
against level 60 spells.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Paul Catley <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> stared blankly into
space for a short while before writing:
> "pudj" <paddy@@pudg.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> I would like to add that your grammer and puncuation isn't that
>> great either but seeing that your obviously still at school I'll
>> forgive you.
>
> Not a debate I particularly want to enter, but I can find little
> fault with Marshall's grammar or punctuation, and on the last point
> I know for a fact that you're wrong ;)
>
> (Should one use a full stop after a smiley?)

Not if the user includes it as part of a comment in brackets. (as I
often do:)

--
Doc
I actually have no idea, but it seemed like a fun thing to say...

Mike Kohary <sorry@no.spam> stared blankly into space for a short
while before writing:
> Neil Jones wrote:
>>
>> I got as far as "rarely lose I sacrafice void then fear then cast
>> void then...." before giving up. Life's way too short to punctuate
>> other people's messes, especially if they can't be bothered to do
>> it themselves.
>
> The thing is, yeah, some people can be really overzealous about
> spelling and grammar and punctuation and what-not. Being the
> Usenet spelling hound just for the sake of it is silly and
> distracting. I also understand that not everyone is the best
> writer, and I just do my best to read comprehensively. But when the
> writer is just plain lazy, it not only shuts off communication as
> Neil points out above (I too simply skipped the entire post before
> I got two lines into it), it's also inconsiderate, even rude at
> times. It speaks poorly of the writer, who seems to be indicating
> that they want others to do the work they were too lazy to do
> themselves.
> Have at it any way you want, of course, but just know that's the
> way you'll come off to a lot of people.

I have to agree here. Most of us make *some* mistakes in
spelling/grammar/punctuation, but at least we've made an effort to make
our writing understandable. Plain laziness is just plain rude.

--
Doc
Anonymous

Man, when talking in WoW I have to remind myself on always saying I'm
not interested in PvP.
When I said I think warlocks are overpowered, it's because from all the
classes I've played, my warlock is the one that can kill the fastest
and safest. Many 'escape' possibilities, many approaches to solving
problems, and doesn't depend on having 'uber armor' or 'uber
equipment' (which fits just perfectly with my 'could care less about
loot' mentality).
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:25:28 PM

On 2005-06-29 20:27:09 +0200, "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> said:

> Depending on the pet you have out, this grants the following mods:
> Imp: Reduces threat caused by 4/8/12/16/20%.
> Voidwalker: Reduces physical damage taken by 2/4/6/8/10%.
> Succubus: Increases all damaged caused by 2/4/6/8/10%.
> Felhunter: Increases all resistances by .2/.4/.6/.8/1 per level.
>>>>
> Wow this sounds indeed nice. And I thought warlocks were overpowered
> before lol
> Imagine the Felhunter, at lvl 60... 60% resistance to everything???
> OMG!!

Nah, as mikel said its +60 resistance to everything, with 300 being the
cap. +60 resistance to everything is very nice however and will come in
handy for caster fights.

Warlocks were not exactly overpowered before, although I don't agree
with the fact that they'd be the weakest class in the game. They are
however, one of the hardest, if not *the* hardest, class to master,
because of its endless versatility. Which is also the reason I picked
Warlock as my main, it keeps things interesting :)

This morning I dueled basicly every class on the Test Servers with my
demonology specced lock. And I even managed to win from rogues (50/50).
Yay. It is much harder to play than my SM/Ruin build, but I blame that
mainly on the fact that I'm not yet used to the new combination and
talent based spells.

Even though a bit outdated with the upcoming changes, this is a very
good Warlock guide that should help you on your way a bit:
http://www.warcraftcentral.com/resources/articleview.ph...

http://www.new-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 55 - Bloodscalp EU
Gwar - Orcish Warrior lvl 10 - Bloodscalp EU
Chasey - Undead Priest lvl 19 - Bloodscalp EU
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:49:57 PM

"Noal McDonald" <dharzhak@my-deja.com> wrote:

> For PvE, the role of a warlock is DPS, so anything that improves that
> is good. The best pet in an instance is imp since it gives a Fortitude
> buff to everyone via Blood Pact. The Succubus is good for crowd control
> with Seduction. I very rarely see the blue buddy in instances. At lower
> levels, it may still be useful as an off tank.

We did (well... tried) ST yesterday and had a lock in our team. As we
were a shaman, a rogue, a warlock and me I posted "LF tank or healer for
ST" and he suggested we don't need a tank, we could take the succu for
that. I didn't really know whether I should laugh or cry :-)

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (53) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

"Christian Stauffer" <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:

> ST" and he suggested we don't need a tank, we could take the succu for

Replace "succu" with "VW" of course.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (53) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
July 1, 2005 8:50:42 AM

"Doc" <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote in message
> Mike Kohary <sorry@no.spam> stared blankly into space for a short
> while before writing:
>> Neil Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> I got as far as "rarely lose I sacrafice void then fear then cast
>>> void then...." before giving up. Life's way too short to punctuate
>>> other people's messes, especially if they can't be bothered to do
>>> it themselves.
>>
>> The thing is, yeah, some people can be really overzealous about
>> spelling and grammar and punctuation and what-not. Being the
>> Usenet spelling hound just for the sake of it is silly and
>> distracting. I also understand that not everyone is the best
>> writer, and I just do my best to read comprehensively. But when the
>> writer is just plain lazy, it not only shuts off communication as
>> Neil points out above (I too simply skipped the entire post before
>> I got two lines into it), it's also inconsiderate, even rude at
>> times. It speaks poorly of the writer, who seems to be indicating
>> that they want others to do the work they were too lazy to do
>> themselves.
>> Have at it any way you want, of course, but just know that's the
>> way you'll come off to a lot of people.
>
> I have to agree here. Most of us make *some* mistakes in
> spelling/grammar/punctuation, but at least we've made an effort to make
> our writing understandable. Plain laziness is just plain rude.

One more time for the people that have selective reading I was a little cut
had a few to drink and as I believe I already apologised for that ,So why
do you choose to drag me over the coals? At least my post tried to help the
op unlike the other that just wanted to run me down.(Laziness didn't come
into it just beer ).If your honestly trying to tell me you've never made a
pigs ear of posting whilst well cut then your either, very young ,or don't
drink, or a hypocrite.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:59:24 AM

> One more time for the people that have selective reading I was a little
> cut had a few to drink and as I believe I already apologised for that ,So
> why do you choose to drag me over the coals?

Because you're either perpetually drunk or teeting on the edge of being
functionally illiterate.

The fact that this is a common problem makes me weep for the future of
the English language.

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (35) on Stormrage [PvE]

Im Lvl 36 on PvP and have poured all TP into Destruction, but now I
realised that my afflictions are the Warlocks best tool on PvP, so
when we get the free refund (:p ) I think iwill split the points
between Afl and Des, summons dont hit hard enough to have any use in
PvP apart from possibly the debuffs that the Succubus does, and VW
sacrafice. Ill experiment a bit until I make a full decision nearer
end-game.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 7:44:30 PM

Im Lvl 36 on PvP and have poured all TP into Destruction, but now I
realised that my afflictions are the Warlocks best tool on PvP, so
when we get the free refund (:p ) I think iwill split the points
between Afl and Des, summons dont hit hard enough to have any use in
PvP apart from possibly the debuffs that the Succubus does, and VW
sacrafice. Ill experiment a bit until I make a full decision nearer
end-game.
July 2, 2005 6:49:21 PM

pudj <paddy@@pudg.karoo.co.uk> stared blankly into space for a short
while before writing:
> "Doc" <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have to agree here. Most of us make *some* mistakes in
>> spelling/grammar/punctuation, but at least we've made an effort to
>> make our writing understandable. Plain laziness is just plain rude.
>>
> One more time for the people that have selective reading I was a
> little cut had a few to drink and as I believe I already
> apologised for that ,So why do you choose to drag me over the
> coals? At least my post tried to help the op unlike the other that

It may very well have helped the OP, if they had been able to understand
it.

> just wanted to run me down.(Laziness didn't come into it just beer
> ).If your honestly trying to tell me you've never made a pigs ear
> of posting whilst well cut then your either, very young ,or don't
> drink, or a hypocrite.

I can honestly tell you that I've never made a pig's ear of posting
whilst under the influence. Look up any of my 1700-odd posts to
alt.games.diablo if you don't believe me.

I'm not very young (50 in September) And what does age have to do with
it anyway?

I drink. I get sufficiently plastered to be incapable of driving
probably a half dozen times a year. And what does being drunk have to do
with it? I've posted drunk, and at worst the post appeared a little
strange. But it was totally readable.

I don't think I'm a hypocrite, ask someone who knows me better. (I've
been posting to alt.games.diablo for 4 or 5 years)

In all my time reading and posting to newsgroups and BBSs, I don't
recall ever seeing a post as incomprehensible as yours. So don't try and
explain it away by saying you were drunk, I've read plenty of 'drunk'
posts, and none of them were anything like this.

BTW, I'm not an academic or anything, anyone who is can confirm this
just by reading my posts. In fact, I left school at age 15 to become a
roof tiler (out of economic necessity), so you can't accuse me of being
over-educated. I've been back to school since, but only to take math and
a few specialised electronics and programming courses, no English at
all. So I don't consider my grammar to be anywhere near perfect, but at
least I make an effort.

--
Doc
!