scheduled shutdown for win xp

I have a problem with windows xp pro. I would like to shutdown the
computer at a specific time (this works) but when no one is logged on
this wouldn't work because ether the screensaver is active or the
computer is standby. how can i stop those 2 and shutdown the computer.

to shutdown I used scheduled tasks --> shutdown.exe -s -t 0

I think that the problem is the default user
6 answers Last reply
More about scheduled shutdown

    try adding the -f parameter.

    Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx]
    [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

    No args Display this message (same as -?)
    -i Display GUI interface, must be the first
    option
    -l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
    -s Shutdown the computer
    -r Shutdown and restart the computer
    -a Abort a system shutdown
    -m \\computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
    -t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
    -c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
    -f Forces running applications to close without
    warning
    -d [p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown
    u is the user code
    p is a planned shutdown code
    xx is the major reason code (positive
    integer less than 256)
    yy is the minor reason code (positive
    integer less than 65536)

    "george" <anonymous@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<#AGKYiARFHA.2348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
    > try adding the -f parameter.

    nop, this doesn't work, the system is stil standby and when i move the
    mous he is shutdown

    Hmm, quite interesting topic. Yes i tried with the above parameters..he
    missed out -f (force shutdown)
    cmd > shutdown.exe -s -f -t 20 -c "Windows shutting down (force shutdown)
    Save all your application"
    i hope this will work,
    Mahesh
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/cyberiafreak

    > "george" <anonymous@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > try adding the -f parameter.
    > >

    > nop, this doesn't work, the system is stil standby and when i move the
    > mous he is shutdown

    "Florian2901" <florian2901@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a problem with windows xp pro. I would like to shutdown the
    > computer at a specific time (this works) but when no one is logged on
    > this wouldn't work because ether the screensaver is active or the
    > computer is standby. how can i stop those 2 and shutdown the computer.
    >
    > to shutdown I used scheduled tasks --> shutdown.exe -s -t 0
    >
    > I think that the problem is the default user

    I believe the problem is that the task scheduler is a per-user thing, and
    you can't assign "global", system-wide tasks with it (someone correct me if
    I'm wrong)...thus, you can't define an event to occur when nobody's logged
    on.

    What you need will probably have to run in the context of a service.

    the shutdown bit works, even when im not logt-in.

    but it doesn't work or works patchily when the system is in stand-by
    mode or in screen saver mode.

    then the task works (i have test this with a sound when the task is
    started) but is stopped when the message is displayed "system is
    shutting down" or something like this. And when you activate the
    system (by moving your mouse for example) the system is shutdown.

    Homer J. Simpson schreef:
    > "Florian2901" <florian2901@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a problem with windows xp pro. I would like to shutdown the
    > > computer at a specific time (this works) but when no one is logged
    on
    > > this wouldn't work because ether the screensaver is active or the
    > > computer is standby. how can i stop those 2 and shutdown the
    computer.

    > > to shutdown I used scheduled tasks --> shutdown.exe -s -t 0
    > >
    > > I think that the problem is the default user
    >
    > I believe the problem is that the task scheduler is a per-user thing,
    and
    > you can't assign "global", system-wide tasks with it (someone correct
    me if
    > I'm wrong)...thus, you can't define an event to occur when nobody's
    logged
    > on.
    >
    > What you need will probably have to run in the context of a service.
  6. It can be done this way
    make C:\sht.bat write in it shutdown -f -s -t 10 ... etc

    Then Put C:\sht.bat in Scheduald Tasks This way it will work :P

    Why I DON'T KNOW I can guess only that Shutdown command can not be called directly and needs to be called through dos

Configuration Computers Shutdown Windows XP