HP tx1000 screen displays yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.

awp07

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hey everyone.
I recently bought a used HP Pavilion tx1000 (probably about 4-5 years old) at a garage sale, knowing that it had a few problems. The only one I can't figure out is the screen. Whenever I turn on the computer, the screen comes on, but shows only a pastel yellow-orange color. It stays like this, displaying only a solid yellow screen and does not change. When connected to an external monitor through VGA, it works fine, so I concluded that the motherboard is not the problem. It does have a touch screen which is currently being recognized by ubuntu. Do you think it is a driver problem, a loose or missing connection, or could the lcd screen be bad? Thank you in advance for any and all help.

randomkid

Distinguished
At 5 years old, the screen might just as well be worn out. But it is possible that there could be some loose connection. But being a laptop it may not be easy to fix.

Did you have a change to turn on the laptop before you bought it from the garage sale?

awp07

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Thank you for your reply randomkid. I did get to check it out first, but the guy only wanted $10 for it, so I figured I would give it a shot and try to fix it. He told me upfront that the screen didn't work. Would you have any suggestions at how I should go about checking for a loose connection? Is there a way that I could check just the screen to make sure that it is in working condition? Thanks again.

awp07

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
randomkid,
Thank you very much for your help. I finally got it fixed! I can't be sure what exactly did it, but I let it drain of all excess charge, replaced the RAM, reset the bios, and then reconnected all wires to make sure there was a good connection. One of those things (or a combination) fixed the screen. Thanks again for your help. Now I can enjoy my new $10 tablet pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.