New Gaming PC randomly restarts

ZJGMoparman

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
I just built my first computer this past weekend. The build went great and everything seemed to be working well. Then I noticed the computer would randomly restart or freeze. When I say restart, I mean it would not shut down properly. It would immediately turn off, but then turn back on itself. It does it out of random; sometimes while gaming, sometimes while just browsing the internet. I checked CPU temperatures in BIOS and they were never above 42 C. Motherboard temp was 28C. I noticed in the BIOS that them memory frequency was set to 1333 mhz. I changed it to 1600 mhz to match my memory and it would restart as soon as it got to the Starting Windows logo. The restarting is getting more frequent now. It has done it twice in 10 minutes while just trying to type this post. Here are my computer specs:

Motherbaord: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA
CPU: Intel i7 3770k
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 X 4GB) 1600 Mhz
GPU: EVGA nVidia 570
HDD: Crucial SSD 128 GB

I have also tried reapplying the thermal paste to the CPU fan. This did not affect temperatures at all, although temperatures do not seem to be a problem. I am thinking the issue may be with either my motherboard or my memory. Maybe someone with more knowledge can help guide me to finding the exact problem.

Thanks

ZJGMoparman

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Let me add that I am running Windows 7 64 bit and I have Corasir 750 watt power supply.

It just restarted again. That makes the 3rd time in 20 minutes. This time I took two sticks of memory out and retried everything. I was also able to boot the PC after changing the memory frequency to 1600 mhz, where I was unable to boot before at this speed. Does this mean the problem is either with one of the two sticks I pulled out or one of the two slots I removed them from on the motherboard?

I will leave them out for a while and see if it restarts anymore.

ataraxicdave

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I had the same problem with an old Athlon X2, completely random. I troubleshot for a while, got a new powersource, ram modules and even got the wiring at my place checked. In the end it was the board. However your case might be different. I would try a different ram module if any, and then go for RMA on the mobo. maybe the memory too, jsut maybe.