Sign in with
Your question

Large IDE Harddisk on old system

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 10, 2001 9:59:42 AM

I'm thinking of buying a large harddisk (>80 GB) and use it for large filetransfers between several different computers. These computers all have different hardwareconfigurations from really old P-166 to brand new high-end computers. Will there be any problems detecting/configuring this drive for the older systems? What kind of problems might occur and how can they be solved?

Thanks in advance

/Peter
August 10, 2001 12:38:02 PM

There probably will be problems with the older BIOS. The easiest solution will be a PCI IDE controller card.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:
Related resources
August 12, 2001 9:28:13 AM

Problems with the older computers accessing it as a network drive? I seriously doubt it. The only computer that I believe you need to worry about is the one that the drive is physically mounted in. And if it's too big for the BIOS of that system to rcognise, you can get free partioning software from the manufacturer that will allow you to set it as a smaller size in BIOS with windows recognising the full size.

Video killed my Radio Card!
August 13, 2001 10:40:46 AM

only if you are going to run the server off one of the old boxes... anything since PII should be fine for a server... the others shouldnt have problems getting to it...

if in doubt blame microsoft...
!