Start up image

How do I locate and change the background image that appears when windows is
rebooted and the user has been selected but before the desktop appears.
Thanks, Ben.

Add the path and file name to the Default User Wallpaper key in the Registry:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper

See "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper" for an example.

Austin M. Horst

Thanks for the help!

"Austin M. Horst" wrote:

> Add the path and file name to the Default User Wallpaper key in the Registry:
>
> HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper
>
> See "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper" for an example.
>

> Austin M. Horst

Quintin

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004

can i suggest using tweak-xp to help you do it? that would be the saftest
method...

Cheers

Quintin

"Benjamin Love" wrote:

> How do I locate and change the background image that appears when windows is
> rebooted and the user has been selected but before the desktop appears.
> Thanks, Ben.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 07:06:12 -0400, "Austin M. Horst"
<anonymous@microsoft.com>, wrote:

>Add the path and file name to the Default User Wallpaper key in the Registry:
>
>HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper
>
>See "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper" for an example.
>

>Austin M. Horst

This only changes the Desktop.
How does one change the Boot Up picture please?
How does one change the background to the Log-on screen?

Wendy Hentis

The images in the boot screen and the welcome screen are part of very important system files
(ntoskrnl.exe and logonui.exe). Hacking/modifying them could render your system unusable. You can
download various modified log-in and boot screens from the internet, but again you run the risk of
leaving your system vulnerable to trojans/worms. Its best not to touch these files.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol