Sign in with
Your question

Drive Read and Write Speeds

Tags:
  • Components
Last response: in Components
December 7, 2012 5:02:20 PM

Hi :) 
I am currently looking into getting a new SSD for my PC.
I want it to fit right into my needs, so what i want to ask is: What is the difference (in performance) between the Read and the Write speeds?
I've seen brands from Intel that have about the same R/W speeds and brands from Crucial which have 4 times the Read speed than the Write.

Thanks in advance =]

More about : drive read write speeds

December 7, 2012 7:30:39 PM

high read speed means like when using adobe photoshop or playing games it will run faster
write speed means when copying anything to the ssd it will be faster
m
l
December 7, 2012 7:47:41 PM

If you take a look at some SSD`s you will find the read and write speeds are not all the same. It comes down to the size of the drive in storage capacity, the type of flash memory used for the drive SLC, or MLC. Most large sized SSD drives tend to have a better read write speeds.
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2012 8:45:34 PM

So the read speed affects the OS, loading of softwares etc.
And the write speed affects copying files, saving. What about when I capture video? Will I be able to get better results with a faster SSD?
m
l
December 9, 2012 6:17:59 AM

256gb minimum so you get the real specs advertised for said SSD's. There are a few articles written about them as well as opinion on who is the best. It depends on your application who or which is better. Conjecture is Mfing the new Samsung 840 because of the unknown of triple rand. This will make sense to you after you read some benchmarks and reviews. If you are NOT video editing Most will do just fine. If you are Video editing avoid Sandforce. My new build and Adobe CS6 fly's with my Plextor SSD. Thinking about using either a Corsair, Samsung or another Plextor (pends on the deal) for a second scratch disc.
m
l
December 9, 2012 9:38:15 AM

Can we please focus on my question? I asked specifically what is the influence of the R/W speeds of spoken drives. Thanks
m
l
!